Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/1/2002 4:26:08 AM EDT
FOX and CNN reporting that J.C. will not run again. Not good news.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:48:44 AM EDT
Very sad news to me. I have always held him in very high regards. Always level headed and spoke after his brain worked instead of before like so many of the POS that are in DC. Would be more than happy to make a trade with OK for him but I realize that Dasshole and Johnson only have trade in value as a depository for gays if even they would work for that. We have lost a great man in my book. At least he wants to spend time with his family unlike Klinton and Condit whom want to spend time with someone elses family member.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:05:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/1/2002 9:08:49 AM EDT by warlord]
I think the conservatives will miss him dearly, but I'm sure he has something else in mind, just that he is not ready to divulge it to the public. You can't keep a good man down. I used to get e-mail messages from Rep. Watts, but I haven't gotten one in awhile, so this was only a mild surprise to me. ======================================================== [url]http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/01/politics/01CND-WATT.html[/url] No. 4 Republican in House Will Not Seek Re-election July 1, 2002 No. 4 Republican in House Will Not Seek Re-election By JAMES DAO WASHINGTON, July 1 — Representative J. C. Watts Jr. of Oklahoma, the fourth-ranking Republican leader in the House, announced today that he would not run for re-election. "I believe that my work in the House of Representatives, at this time in my life, is completed," Mr. Watts said this morning at a news conference in Norman, Okla. "It is time to return home, to go on with other things in my life and assuming one of the most honored titles in all of America: citizen." Mr. Watts did not indicate what his future plans are. But he did say: "Retiring from Congress does not mean retreating from the public arena. Our democracy is based on citizen participation, and as a citizen, I intend to participate vigorously in the great ongoing debate over the future of the most wonderful nation in all the world." Early last week, Mr. Watts, the lone black Republican in Congress and chairman of his party's House conference, had been leaning toward not seeking re-election in November, Congressional officials said. But he began to rethink his plans at the urging of Republican leaders, including President Bush and Speaker J. Dennis Hastert of Illinois, the officials said. Mr. Watts, 44, has previously delayed his re-election decisions, Congressional officials say, in part to strengthen his hand in negotiations with House Republicans over leadership positions and programs for his district. But Congressional officials said that Mr. Watts, a four-term Republican, was more serious about quitting this time, expressing frustrations about his ability to get things done and a desire to spend more time with his wife and five children. Mr. Watts's ability to continue moving up in the leadership ranks seemed uncertain. Representative Tom DeLay of Texas, the majority whip, appears to have overwhelming support to replace Representative Dick Armey as majority leader, the No. 2 position in the House, after Mr. Armey retires at the end of the year. -- continued --
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:06:11 AM EDT
Mr. Watts has also complained that the Republican Party has not done enough to promote blacks into high-profile positions in government. As well, he is angry with the way the Bush administration handled the cancellation this spring of the Army's Crusader artillery system, which was to be assembled in his district and based at nearby Fort Sill. Congressional officials said Mr. Watts had spoken to Mr. Hastert several times last week about his future. A week ago on the NBC News program "Meet the Press," Mr. Hastert made it clear that he did not want Mr. Watts to retire. "J. C. Watts is certainly somebody who I depend on," Mr. Hastert said. "He carries out our whole communications effort." Mr. Watts, a star quarterback on the University of Oklahoma football team in the early 1980's, won re-election handily in his last two races, taking 65 percent of the vote in 2000 and 62 percent in 1998. But now that Mr. Watts is not running, the race for the district, which is being redrawn, may become competitive for the Democrats. Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:09:58 AM EDT
Too bad. He's a good guy and on our side.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:29:07 AM EDT
I'm gonna float a theory here. Tell me what's y'all think. I believe Watts had a crisis of conscience that is making him get out. Recently, he was pushing for some military spending that even JCS didn't want. Some semi-old technology that would bring jobs to Oklahoma.(I forget the particulars) Given that politics today is about gettin' all you can get for your constituency (i.e. BUYING votes with Federal spending) I suspect he realized we've reached a point in this country that to STAY in office, you MUST play the big tax and spend game. I suspect he wasn't willing to do that, so he's stepping down.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:39:43 AM EDT
No politicians so high-profile will ever stay "retired". He'll either be offered a cabinet position or run for Senate. I am getting a thin whiff of "Vice President Watts" in the air.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:50:32 AM EDT
Look for him to be Bush's next VP or making a run for president in 04. If he is VP after 04 how about a Watts/Rice ticket in 08.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:04:59 AM EDT
I lost some respect for him when he broke his promise not to run for his most recent term. If you can't be trusted to keep your promises in the "little" things, you can't be trusted to keep them in the big things. I felt that way about Watts just like I did about Clinton. OTOH, I gained a lot of respect for Tom Coburn when he kept his promise not to run for a fourth term.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:07:43 AM EDT
Sad. He's yet another of the "Young Turks" who took over the House with the Contract With America and who is now leaving. Sad. Onwards & upwards hopefully!!
Top Top