Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2010 4:59:33 AM EDT

Part 1 of 15

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:05:35 AM EDT
[#1]
My wife's uncle earned the Silver Star there.  I wish I knew the story...perhaps there is a record of it somewhere.  Wifey says he was never qute the same after his time on Iwo, and he died not too many years later of cancer.  At a recent family wedding, an old timer was telling me that of his "unit", only three survived.  I have no idea if this is true or not.

dvo
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:25:37 AM EDT
[#2]
My Uncle was a 19 year old Private with B 1/28 KIA 22 Feb 1945 Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:12:42 AM EDT
[#3]
After I read "Flags of our Fathers" & "Fly Boys" Iwo & Chi Chi Jima  took on a little more meaning.

Also near my little home town there is a family grave site that goes back to the late 1700's.  There are headstones for family that have died in the Revolutionary War, WWI & WWII.  The marker for WWI is from a Marine that died there IIRC 28 Feb 1945.

RIP Marines
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:15:06 AM EDT
[#4]
My Grandfather was in the 4th Marine Div, 1st Bn, 25th Marines and was in the inital landing and stayed on the beach the whole 36 days. He was a "ship loading man" according to the documents I received from the National Archives. He hit the beach as a heavy machine gunner and then went to his primary job of unloading the supply ships.

I need to go to Washington and get copies of the archives for the unit to get more details.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Bump
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#6]
My grandfather (4th MARDIV) barely survived the wounds he received on Iwo. Glad he did, or else i wouldn't be here.

RIP, Grandpa.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Didn't the landing on Iwo Jima claim more lives than on Omaha beach?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top