Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 2:32:49 AM EDT
Well I am still here. We got raped and I mean hard. My home is OK but many trees down. My county is a damned mess but I was fortunate that my neighborhood got power very quickly and, after splicing my severed phone line, even have my DSL back!

Since Monday, I have been on the job 134 hours plus prepping my house, the family's beach house, and several of my wife's single friend's homes and then cleaning my yard and helping with several others.

We have been working our asses off and have arrested numerous looters although not quite on the scale I expected. Several other CID types and I have been put on an aggressive curfew enforcement  / anti-looter detail working nights and it is kicking my ass.

I sent the wife and daughter off to be with family a bit further away and lived out of my vehicle and the office just before, during and after the storm.

Sleep has been minimal to put it mildly.

It is strange seeing soldiers with M-16s and Hummers all over. They Guardsmen are doing a great job supplementing our presence but are poorly equipped and briefed for the role.

I have decided to spend my overtime money on either an AK underfolder (I will name him Ivan and pet him and love him.) or a 20" A2 afterbeing inspired by the NG guy's rifles so that thought has been something nice to l ook forward to.

Anyway, thanks for the many IM's and such! All is well, or will be, at least. Ivan has really changed this place and it will take years for it to return to normal...

I know this is a rambling post but I am seriously brain dead at the moment. I'm sitting at my deesk waiting for the last 20 minutes of this shift to end. I am just too tired to be behind the wheel right now.

I'll try to get some pics up later.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:46:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:48:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Glad you are Ok Five-O
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:54:57 AM EDT
[#3]
glad you are ok    we got hit also not real bad mostly trees down ..only damage was a tree through the roof of our rental house lmao...god bless
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:31:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the report - now get some rest!

God bless.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:50:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Five-O, glad you made it through the storm and aftermath okay.  What are looters like?  Are they people from the neighborhood or from elsewhere?  Illegal aliens?  Young/old?

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:37:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Five-O, glad you made it through the storm and aftermath okay.  What are looters like?  Are they people from the neighborhood or from elsewhere?  Illegal aliens?  Young/old?

GunLvr

Thanks to all.

To answer your question there have not been too many all in all and they are the ususal suspects, pill and meth heads primarily. Some of our fishermen have been victimizing others by stealing from disabled boats and scaviging from docks and such. We have had several waterborne thefts from boats, boathouses and homes, thefts of generators and so on. Most are locals but several have been from FL.

We are starting to get the gouging, construction fraud, tree scame and so on you have to expect after something such as this. It pisses me off. Yesterday an elderly woman paid a fucker $1,500 to fall and remove one tree. Well, besides the obvious BS price, he left the stump and dumped the tree two lots down.

We will have a lot of that shit to follow up on...

Our narcs have worked several meth labs as the guys like low humidity to cook and assumed  that our attention would be fully diverted. Luckily they now sit in jail.

Anyway, I will still try to post a few of my pics when I get the time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#7]

One of the several trees lost at my sister in laws house in Baldwin County. Totally changed the look of their lot. They were lucky though. It looked like someone moved their house, laid trees down all over the place, then stuck their house back in the middle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top