Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/14/2005 8:41:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:51:19 PM EDT
Flame suit on
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:53:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:59:20 PM EDT
I thought that was always how it was. *Shrug*

It's pretty clear, don't come into the Bear Pit unless you're prepared for some serious shitstorms.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:40:15 PM EDT
Thank you for the warning Bee Keep. I don't care for foul language so for the most part keep out. Patty
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:33:21 AM EDT
Thanks, Beekeeper. I stay out too. Someone with the username "daydreamer" is just asking to get mobbed, but some of the topics would be interesting. I've even run across one with a few nice comments about women.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:44:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:54:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:56:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:14:20 AM EDT
I thought the ladies involved gave back as good as they got, but unfortunately when the apes get their ass handed to 'em they have to resort to name calling.

Pretty much what should be expected from the children who live in the Pit.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:15:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:22:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SP1Grrl:

Originally Posted By GabbasaurusRex:
I thought that was always how it was. *Shrug*

It's pretty clear, don't come into the Bear Pit unless you're prepared for some serious shitstorms.

I thought so, too. I was prepared for what came my way. Although it was a shame that one would resort to words of that nature, unfortunately, it was not surprising. I felt you did the right thing originally, TBK, and it shows that you hold yourself much higher than a lot of people here. We appreciate you backing us like you do. You're a good one to have in our corner.

+1...as one who is not overly offended by "curse words" and have been known to use them <cough> on occasion <cough> they certainly don't ruffle my tail feathers....that ONE word however tends to get most females' hackles up...and ya know <grin> when my hackles are up, I tend to have a bad hair day...and when I have a bad hair day, I tend to be cranky and when I'm cranky...wellllllllllll
That said, Beekeep thanks for the behind the scenes fight for the ladies and thanks for always watching our backs.
Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:27:53 AM EDT
they always forget the link
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:34:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By diabolical_chicken:

Locked but feel free to read.
link
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:35:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By diabolical_chicken:

yep I missed it too.

I do know though if I post in the pit, all's fair. I tend to just read there now and then.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:38:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 4:39:14 AM EDT by PBIR]
Summary:

Somebody said this word (warning, if anatomical curse words bother you do not click this link ), and much wailing and gnashing of the teeth ensued.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:40:51 AM EDT
Leave it to the Britons to make a street name out of that word!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya know, I used to frequent UK and OZ forums and that word was prevalent...and used flippantly to assess BOTH genders in a bad way...They all thought it was funny that I could let fly with every other words, but not that one...
Uptight American I guess
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:45:28 AM EDT
Well, you ladies don't have to worry about me using that kind of language to y'all. I guess my Mom did a pretty good job raising her oldest son. Sometimes I'm too polite for my own good.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:48:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PBIR:
Summary:

Somebody said this word (warning, if anatomical curse words bother you do not click this link ), and much wailing and gnashing of the teeth ensued.

yep that word gets my goose going too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:51:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PlaymoreMinds:
Leave it to the Britons to make a street name out of that word!!!!!!!!!!!!

They renamed it "Milton Street" in 1830. Sort of...anticlimatic.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:33:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:35:26 AM EDT
Not for nothing, but I've seen that word used in GD, and it bothers me. But hey, again, this is a 99% male dominated board, and not much to be done about it. I guess some men need to use demeaning words to make themselves heard, and make themselves feel important and superior.

But I do find it funny, as I consider THAT WORD to be a racist comment towards women. But it's allowed. I find it just as bad as calling an Afican American the "N" word, and the "S" word towards Latinos. And those words aren't allowed. <shrug>

I don't post in the pit. My work days are stressful enough withouth having that added to the mix.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:03:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 6:06:35 AM EDT by PBIR]

Originally Posted By daisywench:
Not for nothing, but I've seen that word used in GD, and it bothers me. But hey, again, this is a 99% male dominated board, and not much to be done about it. I guess some men need to use demeaning words to make themselves heard, and make themselves feel important and superior.

But I do find it funny, as I consider THAT WORD to be a racist comment towards women. But it's allowed. I find it just as bad as calling an Afican American the "N" word, and the "S" word towards Latinos. And those words aren't allowed. <shrug>

I don't post in the pit. My work days are stressful enough withouth having that added to the mix.

Ever call a guy a dick? Just curious b/c I think this whole thing is blown way out of proportion. The word is a common insult overseas, even in the more pc countries like England. The stigma attached to something so trivial can only have come out of the 60's.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:25:55 AM EDT

Ever call a guy a dick? Just curious b/c I think this whole thing is blown way out of proportion. The word is a common insult overseas, even in the more pc countries like England. The stigma attached to something so trivial can only have come out of the 60's.

Not on arf, I haven't, no. I might have though it, but I wouldn't type that. And I don't care if it's a common insult overseas. Here in the US it is an insult. As much so as the "N" word and the "T" word which IS banned.

And I don't run and complain to mods every time I see it, just in case you were wondering.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:32:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 6:33:12 AM EDT by PlaymoreMinds]

Not on arf, I haven't, no. I might have though it, but I wouldn't type that. And I don't care if it's a common insult overseas. Here in the US it is an insult. As much so as the "N" word and the "T" word which IS banned.

And I don't run and complain to mods every time I see it, just in case you were wondering.

I feel stuuuupid...but what's the "T" word?
And FWIW..it's simply a nasty word...there are more that I find nasty (and trust me, I am THE most un-offendable person when it comes to cursing/sex...PRUDE is not a word you can use to describe me) but that one is the Apex of nasty.
I've used it..yes. But I can count on maybe 3 fingers how many times.
As far as the flip side of the word: when I *WANT* to call a man that word, I say "Just because ya HAVE one doesn't mean ya hafta BE one..." Gets the message thru without the vulgarity...
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:56:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 6:57:18 AM EDT by PBIR]

Thanks for clarifying. I don't agree, but to each his own I guess.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:54:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DoubleFeed:
One thing I don't understand is WHY the c word is so offensive. I looked up the definition and it appears to have a less derogatory meaning than "bitch".

The wiki article gives a good reason. It flows well, sounds mean, short and to the point.

...its phonetic characteristics. Its monosyllabic nature, combined with the hard K sound at the beginning and the sharp T at the end make it well-suited for use as an epithet or interjection.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:41:45 AM EDT
That shit may fly in the pit, but I bet if it was said in person at an arfcom function, well I'll let you guys use your imaginations.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:48:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:56:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:00:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NimmerMehr:

One thing I don't understand is WHY the c word is so offensive. I looked up the definition and it appears to have a less derogatory meaning than "bitch".

The wiki article gives a good reason. It flows well, sounds mean, short and to the point.

...its phonetic characteristics. Its monosyllabic nature, combined with the hard K sound at the beginning and the sharp T at the end make it well-suited for use as an epithet or interjection.

Okay, I read the article. And it makes even less sense than it did.
I guess people will be offended by what they take offense to, no matter the rhyme or reason.

Let's forget that word for a sec, DF. It doesn't matter what the definition of a word is for it to be offensive to some people, right?

Take the word "SHIT". It means "human waste". right? but we use the term to denote something really nasty, when it's just a normal human bodily function isn't it?

How about the word "F*CK". It's sexual intercourse. Which is a normal act between 2 people. Usually it's a good thing.
But said with that word it indicates a "non loving" act for the most part, doesn't it?

Whatever. It's not the definition of a word that gives it the "uglies". It's how and why people use it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:22:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:35:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 10:36:35 AM EDT by AZMAN-1]
Just as a point of info. I don't care for the 'Pit' but I do like it here. It smells nicer!!.....
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:38:33 AM EDT
It's the potpourri we've got hooked up to the server...Goatboy's a freaken genius, I tell ya!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:39:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 10:40:11 AM EDT by PBIR]

Originally Posted By SP1Grrl:

You know, I'm not an easily offended person, but the C word gets under my skin faster than anything ever could. I have absolutely no idea WHY it bothers me so much, but it does.

Indoctrination. Want some more kool-aid?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:58:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 10:58:40 AM EDT by DoubleFeed]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:28:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NimmerMehr:

Okay, I read the article. And it makes even less sense than it did.
I guess people will be offended by what they take offense to, no matter the rhyme or reason.

Let's forget that word for a sec, DF. It doesn't matter what the definition of a word is for it to be offensive to some people, right?

Take the word "SHIT". It means "human waste". right? but we use the term to denote something really nasty, when it's just a normal human bodily function isn't it?

How about the word "F*CK". It's sexual intercourse. Which is a normal act between 2 people. Usually it's a good thing.
But said with that word it indicates a "non loving" act for the most part, doesn't it?

Whatever. It's not the definition of a word that gives it the "uglies". It's how and why people use it.

You are correct, however, a definition that doesn't describe the smelly character of shit or the loveless nature of fuck would be incomplete. IOW - it is my opinion that the definition should encompass some portion of the "how and the why" of its use. Otherwise, it makes it a completely worthless definition.
Kind of like the definitions of the c word. There's a 5 letter word starting with P, with exactly the same definition of the c word. As stated in the wiki article, is the difference ONLY attributable to the "nastier" sound of the shorter word? Why is your response so different? You're telling me that the connotation of the word is the worst insult possible, but I'm not grasping exactly why that is, other than it just is.

I guess that's all I can tell you, is that it just is. I'm sure you would never ever call your girlfriend that word, and let's say it would be the beginning of the end very quickly if my boyfriend ever called me that. It sounds bad coming off the tongue, it DOES have the worst connotation possible, and people KNOW how offensive it is, so when it IS used, it is vicious and unforgiving.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:28:54 AM EDT
This thread makes me want to light a scented candle, take a bubble bath, knit a sweater, make a sammich, read a Danielle Steel book, eat then watch a Lifetime Channel movie marathon.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:29:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AZMAN-1:
Just as a point of info. I don't care for the 'Pit' but I do like it here. It smells nicer!!.....

Girls smell good and they are soft. I just wish I understood them.

Cookies. We smell like cookies.

(although my boyfriend told me I smelled like peanut butter the other day, and couldn't keep his hands off of me....go figure)

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:38:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:39:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:43:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hokie:
This thread makes me want to light a scented candle, take a bubble bath, knit a sweater, make a sammich, read a Danielle Steel book, eat then watch a Lifetime Channel movie marathon.

Hokie, I've read and reread this. How the heck can you eat a lifetime movie?

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:47:34 AM EDT
LOL......

some of you guys and your feeling the need to over-coddle these women posters here cracks me up. its no secret that this is a prodominantly male site, and it is also no big secret that when you have 70,000 GUYS in one place.....a woman in the same place MIGHT just catch some flack...ESPECIALLY in the pit......so..... (shrug)

TBK, you are either the most hopelessly romantic guy on the planet, or you are the brown-nosingest fella ive ever encountered when it comes to women....i havent figured out which.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:51:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:55:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:

Originally Posted By StykUrHedUp:
LOL......

some of you guys and your feeling the need to over-coddle these women posters here cracks me up. its no secret that this is a prodominantly male site, and it is also no big secret that when you have 70,000 GUYS in one place.....a woman in the same place MIGHT just catch some flack...ESPECIALLY in the pit......so..... (shrug)

TBK, you are either the most hopelessly romantic guy on the planet, or you are the brown-nosingest fella ive ever encountered when it comes to women....i havent figured out which.

I think there is a big difference between coddling, and showing respect for ladies here.

showing respect is up to an individual, and that individual is responsible for their own actions...but do you REALLY think the women here need "protection" ?? LOL...thats absurd. the women here are all tough customers just to be here, and its no suprise to them i'm sure at some of the things that can be said to or about them here just as they can be said to or about other male members. hello.....the 50s called...they want their double-standards and lop-sided views back.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:56:35 AM EDT

oops, I left "chocolate covered bon bons AND watch a " out of that sentance!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:14:41 PM EDT

oops, I left "chocolate covered bon bons AND watch a " out of that sentance!

Ahhh...much better. Make sure you get all comfy in your silk jammies, too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:24:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 12:41:08 PM EDT by 4xys2xxs]

I have to agree with this. Just curious, is it acceptable to use those words in the pit too?

It is the "pit" after all.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:30:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 12:31:28 PM EDT by daisywench]

Originally Posted By 4xys2xxs:

I have to agree with this. Just curious, is it acceptable to use those words in the pit too?

It is the "pit" after all.

Nope. Those words are banned site-wide.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:37:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:41:49 PM EDT
Beekeeper:

I generally don't post in the pit, and will just avoid it as much as possible in the future. I assume that anything goes there, and wouldn't, and didn't complain to staff. I thank you for looking out for us there, and I know this wasn't your decision.

That being said, I am simply surprised that a "man" would have to resort to using that word towards a female member here on arfcom. It was a really cheap shot.

Thanks again
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top