Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 2:46:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Haha. Street muscle blows in anything other than a mild sprinkle. Sell it and buy a Ram and lift it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]
4" will stop any car that isnt AWD.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]
A station wagon sucks in the snow? Who would thunk it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Saw an article today and it has not snowed here in six years.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Why the Magnum and 300 are rear wheel drive is beyond me. They are such nice looking cars but yet there is only two or 3 of each in town,nobody likes getting stuck in the snow. If these had been FWD or AWD i suspect there would be many more driving around in the north country.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why the Magnum and 300 are rear wheel drive is beyond me. They are such nice looking cars but yet there is only two or 3 of each in town,nobody likes getting stuck in the snow. If these had been FWD or AWD i suspect there would be many more driving around in the north country.  

they do make a AWD magnum
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have driven in snow all my life, 4" aint shit.

I don't even bother to shovel the driveway at just 4"

myweb.cableone.net/uziforme/snowday.jpg

What's all that white stuff?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who in their right mind besides the ricer crowd would want a performance fwd?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did not know that,the 300 has my eye,maybe when i move to Texas.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Right on.

We had two snowfalls last week.  Each was more than 4".

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Because front wheel drive is limited by horsepower/torque and torquesteer. They suck for towing and have to have traction control for even mild accelleration. Not to mention that handling is better in DRY conditions and tire wear is also improved. Also balances out the front/rear weight distribution better.

Throw on a set of Blizzacks and you could run thru as much snow as you could drive over without it hitting the undercarriage. Most of the problem is the tires.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:12:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I take it David you drive a Magnum?  They're very good looking.

+1 on what gaspain said-they're AWD also.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Hemi + FWD = idiotic
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
A station wagon sucks in the snow? Who would thunk it.

Hey now, I've got a Subaru Outback Station wagon that handles snow pretty well.

So nah.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe the next generation Monte Carlo SS is suposed to have a 300 HP V-8 driving the front wheels.

I had a Dodge Omni that came from the factory with 195/50/15 tires that was awsome in the snow.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Why the Magnum and 300 are rear wheel drive is beyond me....  ...If these had been FWD or AWD i suspect there would be many more driving around in the north country.  

I am sorry but that is one of the dumbest things I have heard all day. The reason that they are rear wheel drive is because rear wheel drive cars handle better and more predictibly for the average driver.  The 300 is one of the hottest selling cars today.  They have sold over  10,000 300Cs a month for nearly 2 years.  I just dont know why anyone would want a highpowered front wheel drive car.  I will agree with you that an AWD package on these cars would make them even more desirable. I dont even like Chrysler, I am a GM guy, but those are some awesome cars that  captured the market.
James
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#18]
It's a Dodge, what'd you expect?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
4" will stop any car that isnt AWD.

My eye, I put Rotella T Synthetic truck oil in my Grand Am because it thinks it's a snowplow.

One problem, traction control is often so good at preventing wheelspin, that snow will actually build up ON the tires. Tires wrapped in snow, on snow...............................
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Turn in your man card!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My SRT4 is fwd with something called a LIMITED SLIP DIFF or LSD, does damn well in the snow if you ask me. Plus i get 30 miles per gallon out of my turbo 4cyl. and with 260hp, who can complain?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Giant shrimp
Tall midgets
Performance FWD

RWD cars handle better, and are better balanced than FWD cars. Not to mention the whole tire wear issue. RWD requires a driver with some "feel" in order to get the best performance out of it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Because front wheel drive is limited by horsepower/torque and torquesteer. They suck for towing and have to have traction control for even mild accelleration.

Ever heard of the Olds Toronado?

The Cadillac El Dorado?

The GMC Motorhome?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Heavy water.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My SRT4 is fwd with something called a LIMITED SLIP DIFF or LSD, does damn well in the snow if you ask me.

Again, traction control will keep the tires from spinning so well that snow builds up on the tire's tread.

LSD gives better traction than an open differential, but can still spin hard enough, even without breaking traction, so that the snow doesn't build up on the tires.

In light snow, or rain, etc. the traction control can be a real help in maximizing a car's abvility to use the available traction. Or under heavy acceleration it makes the best use of traction, so HP is translated to speed, not tire smoke. But under some conditions, traction control, is to restrictive, and is uanable to use the vehicle's traction as well as a human can.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Because front wheel drive is limited by horsepower/torque and torquesteer. They suck for towing and have to have traction control for even mild accelleration.

The Cadillac El Dorado?

The GMC Motorhome?

Yeah, 17 second 1/4 mile off the top of my head.

I don't know that anyone ever thought to time an El Dorado...........................

FWD is usually cheaper to put together. They are generally better with MPG than similar RWD cars.

But performance wise, towing, 1/4 mile, slalom, RWD is better.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#27]
*Shrug* I have a Charger, and I only got stuck in the snow once..that was trying to go uphill in my driveway, in reverse, without getting up a head of steam first.

Normally when it snows out I am not anywhere NEAR the roads; where I grew up, the idiots came out when it started doing anything more than mist outside.

Out here though, no problems, so far.

Also, remember, the stock Magnum/Charger tires are shit for snow. They're roughly average on dry, MAYBE par on wet, and sucky on anything other than that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I drove a rear wheel drive most of my life in heavy, deep snow.  Most of the problem is getting tires with good snow traction.  Wide street /performance tires will not hand snow worth a crap.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you beat me to it - maybe they got a lot of sand too?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#30]
What snow it hit over 80 here today.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I would get a 4WD Magnum with the Hemi in a heartbeat, if I could afford it.

That car is dead sexy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I drove a rear wheel drive most of my life in heavy, deep snow.  Most of the problem is getting tires with good snow traction.  Wide street /performance tires will not hand snow worth a crap.

Bingo!!

Wide tires and lots o' torque make winter driving a challenge.

That said my dad has an AWD 300 (which they don't make currently) and it thinks it's a snow plow.  He just doesn't use much of the trottle in the deep stuff.

Kent
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#33]
The wife's Grand Am did not have any problems
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#34]
My company is replacing my Impala company car with a Dodge Charger which is RWD, it will be fun I think it looks exactly like the Magnum inside and out except it's a sedan.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Cadillac El Dorado?

The GMC Motorhome?

Well considering we had a 72 Olds Toronado with the 455CID engine I can say we did. It weighed a damn ton up front between the lump of iron and the tranny. It did reasonably well in the snow but the torque steer was horrendous if you kicked it hard from the light. The tires were in no way sporty tires tho. They were fine on the highway but they would squeel like a stuck pig under a hard turn. Those cars were absolute BOATS and tho they were great highway cruisers, they were pigs if you tried to run them. Trust me, a 16 year old can smoke the tires pretty good  and I also learned that the drive chain is EXPENSIVE if you trash them. The car still sucked for towing tho if their was any tongue weight to speak of.

BTW, that car had an early form of ABS, even back then, guess it was an option at the time but not many people ordered it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
My company is replacing my Impala company car with a Dodge Charger which is RWD, it will be fun I think it looks exactly like the Magnum inside and out except it's a sedan.

Charger:

Magnum:
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Cadillac El Dorado?

The GMC Motorhome?

Well considering we had a 72 Olds Toronado with the 455CID engine I can say we did. It weighed a damn ton up front between the lump of iron and the tranny. It did reasonably well in the snow but the torque steer was horrendous if you kicked it hard from the light. The tires were in no way sporty tires tho. They were fine on the highway but they would squeel like a stuck pig under a hard turn. Those cars were absolute BOATS and tho they were great highway cruisers, they were pigs if you tried to run them. Trust me, a 16 year old can smoke the tires pretty good  and I also learned that the drive chain is EXPENSIVE if you trash them. The car still sucked for towing tho if their was any tongue weight to speak of.

BTW, that car had an early form of ABS, even back then, guess it was an option at the time but not many people ordered it.

The Toronado was a helluva car in it's day,Mom had a '69,not a very good car to push when it runs outta gas!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#38]
I saw a Daytona at the auto show that rolled through a few weeks ago.  WTF is with the graphics???  I guess they took a scale cue from Pontiac's 'Firebird' graphic circa 1977!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I saw a Daytona at the auto show that rolled through a few weeks ago.  WTF is with the graphics???  I guess they took a scale cue from Pontiac's 'Firebird' graphic circa 1977!

They're even more odd when you consider what the original Charger Daytonas looked like.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top