Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/7/2005 5:41:04 AM EDT
Well, I started back to college again last night as a 32 year old junior. I took a year off for a business venture that didn’t work out as well as I had hoped so I am now back to school. I decided 4 years ago that my current job as a CAD Drafter was not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life so I decided to go back to school and try a different career, I chose a Computer Science degree in Software Engineering. This was in August of 2001, just prior to 9/11 and shortly there after the software engineering job market crapped out. I have since changed my major to a MIS of Finance and Database Management degree. If everything goes as planned I should be done by Christmas ’06. I am going to have to give up most of my shooting and recreation plans for the next year or so but I have got to get this finished and get on my new life path. I am not looking forward to being a full time student and working 40 hours a week to boot.

Is anyone else here an older college student or going back to school for a career change this fall?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:48:52 AM EDT
I'm about as much of a geek as they come, I did my job for fun before I ever had the fortune of getting paid to do it, I'm married to technology, etc.

Finance and Database Management sounds about as exciting as watching flies fuck.

Are you SURE you wanna do that?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:56:51 AM EDT
Just shy of being a machine gun destructive tester there aren't many exciting jobs that I would like or could do.

I currently work in an engineering office and that is not really the pinnacle of excitement either. I would just like to make more money and not have such a feast or famine cycle to deal with.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:21:40 AM EDT
I went back to school a few years ago for CAD. I got an associates, and have been working for about 18 months for a local shop.
I don't think I can go much further with this company, so I am going back for a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Just started back. Gotta say, it sucks. I just keep telling myself if I keep working, I'll buy more guns someday!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:28:56 AM EDT
Being a Senior CAD Monkey (10 years experience), I can honestly say that there is very little room for growth especially if you don't have a BS Engineering degree, I have an AS Engineering degree and all that makes me is an over quallified drafter. When I started there was no such thing as a CAD AS degree but they are rather common now plus the kids that are coming out of the vocational school are filling a lot of the CAD jobs and lowering the median wages.

I am really tired of the business all together.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:35:29 AM EDT
I'm a 32 year old senior, career change from police officer to nurse, will have my RN in May.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:36:11 AM EDT
I've been wanting to go back to school and get my masters but with a son starting college this fall - I think that's all I can swing. Good Luck at your goals. Patty
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:47:24 PM EDT
Things have change quite a bit since I started, everything is internet based and electronic and does not resemble anything near the first time I went to college, I was using Window 3.1 then
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:27:03 PM EDT
That's nothing. The first computer class I took was language and it was Fortran. Patty
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:38:57 PM EDT
I decided to go back to school at 38 for nursing. As of now I am 40 and will be 41 when I graduate. I dont feel that out of place because I still look young but the brain isn't as quick as it used to be and it is really hard dealing with the 19 and twenty year old mentalities.
Good Luck with it.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:11:53 PM EDT
I graduated with an AAS in Computer Networking last December. I'm 35. It was weird going to school with kids that weren't born yet when I was driving...I studied harder than the first time I got an AAS in Electronics Tech, but it was still difficult being married with 5 kids and all that entails. Luckily, I sold some real estate and was able to live off that while I was a full time student..
Now I work part time at Best Buy until something else better comes up. I graduated high school with some of my co-workers' parents..
Top Top