Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 1/7/2015 8:20:17 AM EST
Whatcha makin'?

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:36:59 PM EST
Soup Thread

I made paprikash this weekend, which isn't really soup or stew, but isn't really a solid either...
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:49:36 PM EST
Had chicken soup last night, wife added a little wine to it
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:25:42 PM EST
A blogger I read said this is one of the best soups he's ever made, I'll have to give it a try

Winter Minestrone & Garlic Bruschetta (Serves 6 to 8)

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:02:49 AM EST
potato leek soup made with diced bacon
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:09:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/9/2015 2:12:38 PM EST by ThePontificator]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By raven:
A blogger I read said this is one of the best soups he's ever made, I'll have to give it a try

http://www.barefootcontessa.com/recipes.aspx?RecipeID=912&S=0

View Quote

Will try. . Minestrone is one of my favorite soups.

Recipe calls for adding COOKED pasta to the finished product. Good thinking (I add cooked pasta to individual servings). Otherwise the macaroni swells up and absorbs all the broth.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:21:11 PM EST
Beef soup bones - put under broiler to brown
1 bag frozen soup veggies
Beef stock
Crock pot.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:45:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/11/2015 8:46:44 PM EST by blackghost]
Hearty corn chowder!

Big ceramic stew/sauce pot

-thick cut bacon or ham steak, 8oz-1lb. Simmer half of the bacon to be crispy, we will sprinkle this on the soup after or just eat as a perk of being the chef. Dice the remainder, simmer in the pot lightly, then leave in to cook. With the remaining ingredients.

Then, prepare the following:

-1 large sweek onion, diced
-1 large bell pepper, seeded & chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
-2 medium golden potatoes, 1" cubes
-1 large sweet potato 1" cubes
-1 heaping cup of chopped baby carrots.
4-6 cups chicken stock
1-1.5 cups heavy cream
2 cans canned corn

Simmer 4-6 pieces of bacon in the bottom of the pot, remove the bacon to drain, leave the bacon grease and diced bacon, add onion garlic pepper and carrots. Simmer until the onions soften and become translucent. Add the stock, bring back up to simmer, add potatoes, simmer until soft. Add the canned corn juice & all, bring bsck up to simmer, add the heavy cream, simmer at least 15 minutes, let cool, strain off any seperated fat before saving.

Literally add any vegetables or whatever the fuck you want to this. Spicy peppers can add a nice kick. There is spicy mexican canned corn; one can of regular and one can of spicy corn is good too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:37:57 PM EST
Vegetable beef soup.. In the crockpot now.. Will be eating it tomorrow with some grilled cheese sandwiches...
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:51:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:

Recipe calls for adding COOKED pasta to the finished product. Good thinking (I add cooked pasta to individual servings). Otherwise the macaroni swells up and absorbs all the broth.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
Originally Posted By raven:

http://www.barefootcontessa.com/recipes.aspx?RecipeID=912&S=0

I just made this. It was ok. I remember America's Test Kitchen minestrone soup being better:

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:38:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By blackghost:
Hearty corn chowder!

Big ceramic stew/sauce pot

-thick cut bacon or ham steak, 8oz-1lb. Simmer half of the bacon to be crispy, we will sprinkle this on the soup after or just eat as a perk of being the chef. Dice the remainder, simmer in the pot lightly, then leave in to cook. With the remaining ingredients.

Then, prepare the following:

-1 large sweek onion, diced
-1 large bell pepper, seeded & chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
-2 medium golden potatoes, 1" cubes
-1 large sweet potato 1" cubes
-1 heaping cup of chopped baby carrots.
4-6 cups chicken stock
1-1.5 cups heavy cream
2 cans canned corn

Simmer 4-6 pieces of bacon in the bottom of the pot, remove the bacon to drain, leave the bacon grease and diced bacon, add onion garlic pepper and carrots. Simmer until the onions soften and become translucent. Add the stock, bring back up to simmer, add potatoes, simmer until soft. Add the canned corn juice & all, bring bsck up to simmer, add the heavy cream, simmer at least 15 minutes, let cool, strain off any seperated fat before saving.

Literally add any vegetables or whatever the fuck you want to this. Spicy peppers can add a nice kick. There is spicy mexican canned corn; one can of regular and one can of spicy corn is good too.
View Quote

Similar to our recipe. We only make ours when fresh corn is available. We cut it off the cob, and add it last. While the stock/base is simmering we throw the cobs in to add more flavor (obviously removing them before adding the corn and eating). You might want to try frozen corn, as it's less salty and (IMO) tastes fresher than canned.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:54:18 PM EST
Pho
Top Top