Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/23/2012 7:34:24 AM EDT
I sell mattresses though; Black Friday is not traditionally a big day for furniture and bedding

I saw some of my competitor's mattress ads and their sales suck, they don't seem to be trying too hard I didn't even bother doing any extra advertising save changing my newspaper ads...

...I think I'll close early

Speed

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:35:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Stay there and take a nap.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#3]
What kind of discount will uvgive me?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:36:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe you need to have a hump Wednesday Sale
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:36:46 AM EDT
[#5]
do you ship?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:38:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
do you ship?

this

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:38:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I am in the need of some box springs and mattresses... What is the best bang for the buck and what should I avoid?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Valentines Day your "black Friday"?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:39:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll only buy a mattress if the store lets me fuck my wife on it first.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't ship, or sell online guys; sorry. A mattress is a kind of personal thing, you really need to try it before you buy it.

I'm a dying breed; a brick and mortar retailer who wants to sell people things they like, instead of just what makes me the most cash

Speed

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:43:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I sell mattresses though; Black Friday is not traditionally a big day for furniture and bedding
I saw some of my competitor's mattress ads and their sales suck, they don't seem to be trying too hard I didn't even bother doing any extra advertising save changing my newspaper ads...

...I think I'll close early

Speed

nap and then go shooting speed!

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:44:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm sure the store can afford 4 minutes for you!

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:47:43 AM EDT
[#14]
They are all waiting until Christams Eve

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:50:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Not really.

Most of the stuff produced by the big name brands in the past 10 years or so uses a lot of cheap fillers like polyester fiber pressed into boards, or lightweight Chinese foam that deteriorates quickly. Those companies are owned by private equity groups who are basically exploiting the goodwill of the brands.

I'm not typing out any long winded posts, but I will say that there are still many manufacturers of high quality mattresses in America that do not use cheap fillers of import/lightweight foam.

You can find them in local furniture and bedding stores, but you will not find them in chain retailers because these smaller companies cannot afford to, or refuse to cheapen the product to get the big contracts.

I refer anyone looking for a new bed to this site: http://www.themattressunderground.com/

I've spoken with the owner on the phone and he is a certified mattress geek It's actually mind boggling how much industry insider type info he has accumulated in his brain.

He can give you suggestions based on anyone's specific area.

Speed

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:50:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I heard an ad on the radio this morning for one of my local mattress stores. The ad went something like this: "We are not having a black Friday sale; we always have the lowest prices."

They sure do know how to bring the black Friday crowd in
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't ship, or sell online guys; sorry. A mattress is a kind of personal thing, you really need to try it before you buy it.
I'm a dying breed; a brick and mortar retailer who wants to sell people things they like, instead of just what makes me the most cash

Speed

This wreaks of anti-capitalism.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I guess all the whores in your area are happy with the work bench they have.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:55:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

This wreaks of anti-capitalism.

Lol. It's pretty practical, morals aside.

If I sell somebody something they don't like, then they call me up and bitch. If I take it back, I lose money, if I don't, I piss them off and they tell everyone I'm an asshole and don't shop here.

It just makes more sense to do it right and avoid headaches

Luckily, since I own the store and don't have any sales quotas, or managers breathing down my neck, or specific commission I have to make...I'm free to conduct business they way I see fit.

Speed

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:58:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Those companies are owned by private equity groups who are basically exploiting the goodwill of the brands.  

Last time I went mattress shopping I did my research.

I was amazed to find out that the 4 biggest mattress chain stores were all owned by the same investment group.
I was further amazed that the same investment group owned the biggest mattress manufacturers.

It's a freaking monopoly.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

When is a big time for mattress sales? in the winter when people get their tax returns back?

There is a locally owned mattress chain that started out in a small kind of impoverished town but the owner opened a couple of other shops. He says when he checks on his shop in an affluent suburb of a nearby big city he sees people from his home town where his first store is. He asks them why the heck they drive an hour to this store when there is a store near their house with lower prices because of the lower overheard. They always say stuff like they won't shop in their own town because the stores are crumby and you get better stuff in the more expensive stores in the nicer suburbs.

Yes people are naive. I'm not located in an upscale area, but I always get compliments on how "clean" my store is

It's certainly clean looking, both outside and in, but because I'm in a more blue collar area, mixed with stores and light industrial, instead next to a Walmart, people assume it's crummy til they walk in

There is no "best time" to buy a mattress as most "mattress sales" are Bullshit, but income tax season is the busiest, and thus, the period when most of us concentrate our heavy advertising on. I get specials in for income tax season, and I run them at a discount for the whole season, often into summer too.

Speed

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#24]
get some hot chicks to stand on the road in front of your store in lingere and put a big sign by them that says "Come try out our new beds with us" or something like that.

GR
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not really.
Most of the stuff produced by the big name brands in the past 10 years or so uses a lot of cheap fillers like polyester fiber pressed into boards, or lightweight Chinese foam that deteriorates quickly. Those companies are owned by private equity groups who are basically exploiting the goodwill of the brands.

I'm not typing out any long winded posts, but I will say that there are still many manufacturers of high quality mattresses in America that do not use cheap fillers of import/lightweight foam.
You can find them in local furniture and bedding stores, but you will not find them in chain retailers because these smaller companies cannot afford to, or refuse to cheapen the product to get the big contracts.

I refer anyone looking for a new bed to this site: http://www.themattressunderground.com/
I've spoken with the owner on the phone and he is a certified mattress geek It's actually mind boggling how much industry insider type info he has accumulated in his brain.
He can give you suggestions based on anyone's specific area.

Speed

Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As a fellow site member I hope you do well.  

This.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:03:53 AM EDT
[#27]
I know every pawn shop has a "special back room" where they keep the MGs, rocket launchers etc. Do you have a back room where you keep the mattresses that have the tags removed?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:04:24 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

get some hot chicks to stand on the road in front of your store in lingere and put a big sign by them that says "Come try out our new beds with us" or something like that.

GR

You, Sir, should be in marketing

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:04:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

4 minutes??? I guess youre including prelims and time for a smokeafter  
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:06:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Pay two hot chicks to make out  on a stack of mattresses in front of the store and call the news.

BAM! Instant business.

I'll PM you an address for my royalties.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:07:44 AM EDT
[#31]
rub one out
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I know every pawn shop has a "special back room" where they keep the MGs, rocket launchers etc. Do you have a back room where you keep the mattresses that have the tags removed?

Lol, believe it or not, there is a state inspector who comes in once a year or so and checks my tags out

The tags are there to show the consumer that it consists of all new material and is not a recycled mattress
The tags also serve as a revenue generating measure. Manufacturers have to pay to keep some fire retardant thing up to date and must issue the code on the tag. If that code is not up to date, they get fined...so the government employs people to go into stores and look at these tags and nail the manufacturer if they didn't pay
Speed

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

GR

I would stop to look around...

Too bad you are not closer OP. I'm needing a new mattress. Mine is 9 years old. Do I have to buy a new box spring with the mattress? Do the Sam's Club mattresses suck? That is what I have. Not sure how much to spend or where to go.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:10:50 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol, believe it or not, there is a state inspector who comes in once a year or so and checks my tags out

The tags are there to show the consumer that it consists of all new material and is not a recycled mattress

The tags also serve as a revenue generating measure. Manufacturers have to pay to keep some fire retardant thing up to date and must issue the code on the tag. If that code is not up to date, they get fined...so the government employs people to go into stores and look at these tags and nail the manufacturer if they didn't pay

Speed

Wow, I never realized those tags were such serious business.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Good man! I hope you enjoy your free time from closing early. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving as well!
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm in if I can fuck someone other than my wife on it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

There actually ARE mattresses police.

Learn something new everyday
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#38]
I love my Tempur Pedic
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed

There actually ARE mattresses police.

Learn something new everyday

Ya

Truth be told, I have no issue with the inspectors from a health concern standpoint. Illegal mattress "refurbishers" have been linked to several of the recent bedbug outbreaks. These folks pick mattresses off the street, then sew new quilting over them and sell them in secondhand or junk stores. It's a real problem in some areas.
Speed

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#40]
What brand/model do you feel is the best in your store?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#41]
So what's the weirdest thing a customer has asked about a mattress?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#42]
For some reason I thought you owned a gun store.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I only sell one brand now, it's an Amish manufacturer called Dutch Craft.

No junk fillers, all US made materials, and they ship every week

The "best" really depends on what you want. For longevity, I don't know of any manufacturer who makes anything more durable than their "Chiro" line in an innerspring matt.

2 sided with 12.5 ga coils springs, all US made HD foam, real modular box springs and an extra spring set through the middle third to give more lower back support and resist sagging.

As far as foam, they have a foam line that is phenomenal; just as good as tempurpedic if not better. 2.3lb HR support foam, US memory foam, and the best quality gel infused memory foam made.

All that said, I sleep on a latex bed

Speed

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GR

You, Sir, should be in marketing  
Don't forget the promotion to win a chance to join in on the pillow fight.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:39:20 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

So what's the weirdest thing a customer has asked about a mattress?

Nothing too strange, but I once had a gentleman buy a mid priced Twin pillowtop mattress set, just for his cat!

He had a very dry sense of humor, and when he pulled out pics of the cat, I thought it might be Piccolo or one of his freinds fucking with me.

But, he came down with his wife and kid later and the wife, with rolling eyes, explained that it really was a mattress just for the "cat's room".

My drivers who delivered it told me he had pictures of the cat in frames in the room as well

Fuck it though, he came and bought another mattress for himself and his wife later IIRC

Speed

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#46]
You will be happy then.

I am actually going to a mattress store today!!

A local chain, that has great customer service and friendly, knowledgeable people working there.  I bought a twin for one of my guest bedrooms last week, going back to get me a new queen.  I already know which one too.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:42:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Time for a title edit, "Ask a matress store owner who's store is dead on black friday anything"

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Speed

This, latex is a dream to sleep on. Pun intended.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

GR

this...
but you really do need a sign spinner
spent a Saturday going from place to place looking for a mattress
was irritated and headed home empty handed when I saw a sign spinner and pulled in. bought from them
told them the only reason I stopped or even knew they were there was the sign spinner guy

here is a good one for you OP. we find one store and they have a good deal on a mattress... he is pushing this sale on this mattress and the price is talked about 3 times
so we go to pay for it and BOOM price shoots up a extra $600... reason? the price tag we discussed several times was for the bed frame... I was so pissed off
I asked him how many people go ahead and buy after they pull this crap just because they are tired of the buying process...he just smiles and slithered away
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I only sell one brand now, it's an Amish manufacturer called Dutch Craft.

No junk fillers, all US made materials, and they ship every week

The "best" really depends on what you want. For longevity, I don't know of any manufacturer who makes anything more durable than their "Chiro" line in an innerspring matt.

2 sided with 12.5 ga coils springs, all US made HD foam, real modular box springs and an extra spring set through the middle third to give more lower back support and resist sagging.

As far as foam, they have a foam line that is phenomenal; just as good as tempurpedic if not better. 2.3lb HR support foam, US memory foam, and the best quality gel infused memory foam made.

Speed

Interesting.  Thanks.

Found a dealer local to me, might have to check them out soon.

I think I might like a tempurpedic, have slept on them and feel like a get a good nights sleep, but I don't like the price tag.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top