Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:55:46 AM EDT
[#1]
A gay priest sex scandal has rocked the Catholic Church in Italy today after a weekly news magazine released details of a shock investigation it had carried out.

Using hidden cameras, a journalist from Panorama magazine - owned by Italian Prime Minister and media baron Silvio Berlusconi - filmed three priests as they attended gay nightspots and had casual sex.

Today there was no immediate comment from the Italian Bishops Conference and the Vatican - which has been rocked by a series of sex scandals involving paedophile priests since the start of the year.

A preview of the Panorama article sent out by email last night added that video footage from the investigation would be made available.

The article describes how the reporter was assisted by a gay 'accomplice' as they 'gate-crashed the wild nights of a number of priests in Rome who live a surprising double-life.'

In it's preview, Panorama added: 'By day they are regular priests, complete with dog collar, but, at night it's off with the cassock as they take their place as perfectly integrated members of the Italian capital's gay scene.'

Panorama described its investigation as 'deeply disturbing' as it detailed how three priests - two Italians and a Frenchman - happily took part in gay events and had casual sex.

The Catholic Church forbids priests to have sex and homosexuality is also seen as a 'sin' .

In 2008 the Vatican issued guidelines which said that any would be trainees should not join if they had 'deep-seated homosexual tendencies'.

In one part of the investigation Panorama said that one priest, named as Carlo, willingly put on his cassock to have sex with the reporter's gay accomplice, adding 'all of which was filmed by the hidden camera'.

The magazine also described how they had attended a Mass which was celebrated by Carlo.

In its preview Panorama insisted that it had carried out through checks and established that all three priests were bona fide but would not reveal their real names or any other details.

Panorama editor Giorgio Mule said: 'This was a two week investigation and was not aimed at creating a scandal but showing that a certain section of the clergy behaves very differently.'

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:58:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Sex with adults? MYOB
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:02:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Sex with adults? MYOB

Doesn't really work that way with people in certain public positions.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:03:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:03:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sex with adults? MYOB

Its a little bit different here...
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#6]
On the job training?
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:05:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Good to see they are not molesting children.

Pope Palpatine is going to shit a brick!
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:07:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:08:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sex with adults? MYOB

Nope....not when it is people who are telling others to be moral and then openly do the things they say are wrong.

Those people should be exposed as the hypocrites they obviously are.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:09:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sex with adults? MYOB

Why? I know the child molesting priests are a big thing but they actually have victims. This seems to be going on between consenting adults.

True, but when they break the rules of their organization, they should expect to be kicked out as well.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:09:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

On the job training?

Uh oh...IBTSS

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:11:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Sex with adults? MYOB

Don't be dense.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:11:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like the Vatican & the Italian government might be having a spat...
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:11:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:14:20 AM EDT
[#15]
A kid I went to school with wanted to be a priest and started in the seminary.  He quit after about a year, and one of his chief complaints was that about 80% of the dudes in seminary were gay and trying to hide from their sexuality.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:18:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sex with adults? MYOB

Why? I know the child molesting priests are a big thing but they actually have victims. This seems to be going on between consenting adults.

The priests took an oath before God and their faith that they would uphold the values of the Catholic church.  This includes no buggering another mans ass. If the guy wants to be a homosexual, OK, but he can't be a priest at the same time.  It's a complete conflict of values.  

The priests should be immediately expelled.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:22:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sex with adults? MYOB

You also believe, only the receiver is a faggott!
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:26:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sex with adults? MYOB

True, but when they break the rules of their organization, they should expect to be kicked out as well.

Doesn't the Catholic Church believe in absolution? I've got no issues with them running into problems with their organization. That comes with the territory.

Being forgiven and absolved of your sins involves being truly sorry for your actions and intending to no longer perform those actions that are separating you from God.  I'm not saying that I'm the best example of a Catholic out there, because quite frankly, I'm not.  However, when you are in a position of authority and are supposed to be a shining example of your faith to hundreds if not thousands of parishioners, you can't be in a sex club partaking in gay sex while wearing a dog collar.  At the very least, even if they were truly sorry and never engaged in that kind of behavior again (public or private), they should still be removed from any position of authority

As for the child molesting priests, every single one of them should be outed, excommunicated and prosecuted just like any other fucking scumbag that is evil enough to prey on children.  In no case should they be protected or simply shifted to another church.  I have other ideas of what should be done to them as well, but they are not very Christ-like thoughts.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:30:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sex with adults? MYOB

Nope....not when it is people who are telling others to be moral and then openly do the things they say are wrong.

this right here I fucking hate hypocrites!

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:32:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Sex with adults? MYOB

Yea, at least it wasn't alter boys.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:33:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Let's hope that they are permanently run out of their vocation.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:35:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Casual sex?  Would it be better if they had "serious sex"?
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:36:06 AM EDT
[#23]
priest  = celibacy

least thats what i thought.....

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Casual sex?  Would it be better if they had "serious sex"?

It's not like they planned on getting married or anything.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:42:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:50:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:53:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:53:46 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sex with adults? MYOB

Doesn't the Catholic Church believe in absolution? I've got no issues with them running into problems with their organization. That comes with the territory.
... problems with their organization ...  You mean like Catholic priests who preach Communism in Central America? or 'They break the rules, they lose ice cream and television privileges'?

A slightly different set of circumstances, but the double-blind clinical trials are the same:

- A child molesting priest* goes to confession every Sunday and then Monday morning goes back to squeezing the kiddies and you're OK with that because I should mind my own business, and Absolution makes him brand new clean every week?

The guy leading the flock is eating the sheep.  This is
FAIL, and a reason why many people don't see the point of getting up on
Sunday morning and going to listen to the guy dressed in black who
doesn't listen to himself.
* Child molesting priest is not specified, but the principles of Absolution are 'Absolute', yes?  

(I love spirited debate, playing Devil's Advocate, and stand on no pedestals.)  
Originally
Posted By thebeekeeper1:

Originally
Posted By TWIRE:

Let's hope that they are permanently run out
of their vocation.

They would be––except the Catholic
church already has a severe shortage of priests.
 If all the "bad" ones
were run out they wouldn't have a church.  This is the sad reality no
one wants to even acknowledge, let along talk about.  

My personal thought is that it's because of the attitudes that allow this type of thing to propagate.  If you can't trust your leaders, how can you trust the system that makes them your leaders?

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#29]
This is my shocked face.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:57:58 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm not Catholic and could give a rat's ass about that particular organization, but they need to seriously think about some of their rules or the recruitment policies or something.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:00:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:04:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A kid I went to school with wanted to be a priest and started in the seminary.  He quit after about a year, and one of his chief complaints was that about 80% of the dudes in seminary were gay and trying to hide from their sexuality.  

My wife's uncle did the same thing.  Shocked at how many homosexuals there were in seminary.  He's still Catholic but a bit more cynical and jaded.  Complaining about how all they want is his money.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:05:07 AM EDT
[#33]
So much for taking one's vows seriously...
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:06:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:07:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
priest  = celibacy

I think the prohibition is on marriage.  

Besides, they're just doing a little "love thy neighbor".
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:08:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Aside from the one obvious reason, why would gay men be attracted to becoming priests?  Doesn't the whole poverty thing get in the way of going out for appletinis and Madonna concerts?  Well, I guess it would also keep people from wondering why you're 30-40 and not married, but that is a hell of a way to get around that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Another isolated incident with RC priests
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:33:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They would be––except the Catholic church already has a severe shortage of priests.  If all the "bad" ones were run out they wouldn't have a church.  This is the sad reality no one wants to even acknowledge, let along talk about.  

In Before the "We need Wimmen Priests"
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:36:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Aside from the one obvious reason, why would gay men be attracted to becoming priests?  Doesn't the whole poverty thing get in the way of going out for appletinis and Madonna concerts?  Well, I guess it would also keep people from wondering why you're 30-40 and not married, but that is a hell of a way to get around that.

Appletinis and Madonna concerts don't make you gay, sex with another man does. My guess is that they are raised Catholic but know they are gay. So they think they can hide it or run away from it by becoming a priest. And I bet it works for some. THe sin isn't being attracted to men, it's sex outside marriage. And since gay sex is also a sin, two men can't get married in the Catholic church.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the "obvious" reason?

Authority figure with access to children

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Celibacy is a myth. Period.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:15:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Screw it......I want to talk about gangsters of the 20s and 30s tonight.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

priest  = celibacy

That was then, now priest = FABULOUS!

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sex with adults? MYOB

this.

But then again, it's just Catholics. Throw some salt over your shoulder, say some hail marys' and your good to go. Hell, look at Mel Gibson, everyone is so quick to point out him getting set up, but fail to acknowledge his extreme vulgarity and threats, and even admissions! Look at Joe biden, with his little charcoal dot in tv. Aren't some of those California dem women like pelosi and boxer catholic too? It must be like schitosphrenia.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sex with adults? MYOB

The priests took an oath before God and their faith that they would uphold the values of the Catholic church.  This includes no buggering another mans ass. If the guy wants to be a homosexual, OK, but he can't be a priest at the same time.  It's a complete conflict of values.  

The priests should be immediately expelled.

Even I can understand that, why others can't is beyond me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
priest  = celibacy

It does in theory. In reality, the human sex drive is an incredibly powerful thing. Some priests are certainly able to overcome it but the rest will act on it sooner or later if they can. Some pedophile priests will molest kids, gay ones will do gay shit, and straight ones will have sex with women. This is not a new thing. Well, priests going out to gay clubs and screwing people in public might be, but I doubt it.

Going out to a public club eliminates any vestige of shame. It sounds like hypocracy is perceived as normal and accepted. Also, they do not think the same over there, they mock a lot of what we consider decent as "puritanical" values.

Remember, most catholics voted for obama, that isn't a random accident. I work in a catholic hospital, they all love him, if they don't they care keeping it to themselves, they don't keep the love to themselves.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife's uncle did the same thing.  Shocked at how many homosexuals there were in seminary.  He's still Catholic but a bit more cynical and jaded.  Complaining about how all they want is his money.

One of my old lesbian aquaintences became a nun. She stayed a nun for over 10 years before leaving the convent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top