Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 7:59:37 PM EDT
from:news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060214/wl_nm/religion_cartoons_italy_dc_1

Italian minister puts Mohammad cartoon on T-shirts

By Crispian Balmer
Tue Feb 14, 10:50 AM ET

ROME (Reuters) - Italy's Reform Minister Roberto Calderoli has had T-shirts made emblazoned with cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad in a move that could embarrass Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's government.

Calderoli, a member of the anti-immigrant Northern League party, told Ansa news agency on Tuesday that the West had to stand up against Islamist extremists and offered to hand out T-shirts to anyone who wanted them.

"I have had T-shirts made with the cartoons that have upset Islam and I will start wearing them today," Ansa quoted Calderoli as saying.

He said the T-shirts were not meant to be a provocation but added that he saw no point trying to appease extremists.

"We have to put an end to this story that we can talk to these people. They only want to humiliate people. Full stop. And what are we becoming? The civilization of melted butter?" Calderoli said.

The publication of the cartoons in some European newspapers, including one showing an image of the prophet with a bomb for a turban, have provoked widespread anger in the Muslim world.

Many Muslims believe it is blasphemous to depict the Prophet and there have been a number of violent protests in the Middle East and Asia.

The Northern League, which is gearing up for an April general election, has leapt on the controversy to promote its own far-right political agenda.

RELIGIOUS WAR

The League has long led the charge against illegal immigration and its leaders say the cartoon violence shows the dangers of allowing Muslim immigrants to settle in Italy.

"This is only the tip of the iceberg of the religious war Islamist extremists have declared on us," Calderoli told reporters earlier this month.

The Italian press reported that Berlusconi last week urged Calderoli to take a more moderate stance over the issue, but the minister said on Tuesday he had no intention of keeping quiet.

"As for Berlusconi, seeing as he has compared himself to Jesus Christ, I would call on him to follow (Christ's) example and think about evangelizing Christian values and not be evangelized by Islam," Calderoli was quoted as saying.

Berlusconi caused a storm at the weekend when he said: "I am the Jesus Christ of politics...I sacrifice myself for everyone."

Maintaining a steady stream of anti-foreigner invective, Calderoli earlier this month dismissed a Palestinian journalist on a television chat show, as: "that suntanned lady." He also said he was delighted newcomers to Italy would not benefit from a government scheme to encourage people to have more children.

"I am proud of the fact that the baby bonus will only go to Italian citizens. I say to all those Ali Babas that either Allah or their governments will have to think of them."

The League's anti-immigrant stance has found a sympathetic audience in the wealthy north of Italy, where many third world immigrants have settled in recent years.

League politicians say the immigrants are responsible for growing crime rates and are also challenging Italians for jobs.

Latest opinion polls say the League will get up to six percent of the vote in the April election against just 3.9 percent in the 2001 ballot. However, it is not clear what part the anti-immigrant rhetoric has played in this increase.

Meanwhile Cartoon Protesters Rampage in Pakistan

----------------------------------------

Comment: I can wait until Warner Brothers creates a Cartoon of Mohammed getting butt fucked by Porky Pig

These guys are loony tunes!

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Viva Italia!  Viva il Duce!  Duce!  Duce!  Duce!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Where can I buy one of those shirts?

GROUP BUY!  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Bravo, bravo!  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I want a shirt.  Now.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Shirts HERE, I bought 2.
http://www.shopmetrospy.com/
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I forgot to add if you go to shopmetrospy use the link to see the hate mail he has already gotten from the practioners or peace.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow. This guy gets the prize. He's got what it takes.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#8]
GROUP BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I remember waaay back in the 6th grade, about 1978-ish, (during the whole Iran hostage thing), I had a t-shirt that had the Iwo Jima flag scene, (where the soldiers/marines were raising the flag), and the flag pole was going up the Iatollah's ass. I wore it to school one day and they made me wear it inside out because of the picture!
I'll be getting one of these too!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:19:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Id like to see every American wear one of these for a day. Not gonna happen but at least every good American should have one.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:45:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd like to know where I can get one!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:02:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Ahhhh. To see Rome at night by firelight. How romantic

ETA

Quoted:
Shirts HERE, I bought 2.
http://www.shopmetrospy.com/

I could have some real fun here with the "Border Patrol" shirt and hat.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:06:47 AM EDT
[#13]

To: MetroSpy
I want you to know that caricatures heart and bother us, and we are not terrorists because we did not attack any country due to imaginary reasons as others country. What do you do if arabian magazine or newspaper made the same thing to our and your prophet Jesus or prophet Moses?

I would encourage you to propagate images of Christ...we dont have that big of an issue with it.
Oh, and dont worry about the intent, because Jesus forgives sins, unlike your hate filled prophet.

I have seen many characatures of Jesus....still, I have not had the urge to riot or kill people over it. If allah is all powerful, then why does he need all these miscreants to fight his battles for him down here on Earth? Oh well...what do I know...im an infidel.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:14:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:30:28 AM EDT
[#15]
why do the eye-ties and the denmarkians seem more pissed at the ropers than we do???

man, a guy could go broke at that damn metrospy site!!! that gitmo cap is a must-have (as is the poster!)!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:38:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:51:20 AM EDT
[#17]
ordered mine last nite
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:55:08 AM EDT
[#18]
This guy, Roberto Calderoli, is a member of a ultranationalist party.

Racist, very rough and unpolite man, he uses to piss off people in tv debates.

I don't like him AT ALL, but I have to admit that he has GUTS...

btw, I have the copy of the only Italian Newspaper that had the guts to publish the Prophet Cartoons: LIBERO (that means FREE)

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:57:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Awesome.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:06:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Heheheh...  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:11:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Cartoon protesters. What a bunch of retards. Jeez.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:12:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Sorry.  I don't want to be kidnapped, shot or beheaded because of a dumb cartoon.  I'll leave well enough alone.

lawdog
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:23:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Sorry.  I don't want to be kidnapped, shot or beheaded because of a dumb cartoon.  I'll leave well enough alone.

lawdog

Unfortunately, that's exactly the response they want everyone to have.

I've always thought the fanatics in any group are trying to "One Up" each other with their level of conviction or faith.  Thus, it escalates from being annoyed to "Cut Off Their Heads" like in the party game "Rumor".
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:28:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Dude gets the  "Big Sack" award.

Either that, or he gets the "head in a sack" award.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:40:08 AM EDT
[#25]

You are dirty man. Still you as cow man. No respect, no religion and no polite. We see forever all USA men come from fornicators or adulterers so we are not strange when hear this from impudent. Go to hell! We will kill you as soon as we meet you at once. Really you are atheist man. Go still to bark for all people.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

lawdog

Yeah right, run away... we're real afraid of a bunch of little sheet heads.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:49:29 AM EDT
[#27]
im sure this will work out well for them...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:51:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:54:46 AM EDT
[#29]

I'm guessing the guy who owns that metrospy store is going to be the real winner of this entire cartoon debacle.

I know I did my part.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

You are dirty man. Still you as cow man. No respect, no religion and no polite. We see forever all USA men come from fornicators or adulterers so we are not strange when hear this from impudent. Go to hell! We will kill you as soon as we meet you at once. Really you are atheist man. Go still to bark for all people.

Cole is a muslim?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:12:00 AM EDT
[#31]

I will f*ck you and eat Mohammed.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

lawdog

Yes, because Al is generally regarded as the Mecca of Islam......
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I'm guessing the guy who owns that metrospy store is going to be the real winner of this entire cartoon debacle.

I know I did my part.  

Are you going to wear it to class?  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#34]
I'll be getting one in extra large, so I can be packing my concealed carry peice... Think of it as BAIT.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#35]
[golfclap]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:44:37 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

lawdog

hahahaha i think you'll be safe enough in alabama! now, downtown fallujah you might wanna make sure there are a buncha well armed guys in desert marpat accompanying you!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know I did my part.  

Sure.  Right after I get tenure.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know I did my part.  

Slightly evil, yet still pragmatic. That's what I love about you Danes.

(correct country used, this time only)
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know I did my part.  

i'm partial to the clacketing sound of their quaint wooden shoes!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wooden shoes is typical Dutch.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wooden shoes is typical Dutch.

sshhhhh... we're taunting dk-prof!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

lawdog

What? I cant hear you for the sheep bleating in the background.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:23:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Tag for ordering later.

Quoted:
Made it hot

www.shopmetrospy.com/

Wow, I just noticed that MetroSpy is like only 5min from my house! I might stop by and pick one up in person.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I had to wait two days to order mine because their website was so busy.

Too bad they couldn't put it on top of "Infidel" and I could combine my two favorite t-shirts.

John
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I forgot to add if you go to shopmetrospy use the link to see the hate mail he has already gotten from the practioners or peace.  

You must respect my religion. You can't use my prophet name and picture.you did big mistake and STOP THAT!!

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Do you know what? F*ck you! Cuz its not good to use feelings and make people kill themselves with selling these silly shirts. Yes I Turkish but you even don't know anything about Turkey. You'll think that we all are ignorant people but, NO! We have great nights all parties and girls and drinks but you suckas think Turkey is what you see on BBC, right?
This is sh*t and f*ck your religions. We dont care about them. But reasons of what people kill theirselves is what we give a sh*t! I love you.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

lawdog

I was gonna tell you to cowboy up but is doesn't have the same effect it use to.
So I'll just say "Man up" if you can.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#50]
First time in two years I changed my avatar was last night.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top