Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2004 9:53:23 AM EDT
As long as the dog went home safely.

Police dog bites bystander; it's all on tape

Associated Press
Sept. 3, 2004 09:15 AM

EVANSVILLE, Ind. - This police dog didn't take a bite out of crime - he bit an elderly man watching authorities conduct a search being filmed by a local TV crew.

The canine that was tracking a gunman bit John Terry, a resident of Senior World retirement community, who was watching the search Wednesday.

Terry did not require medical treatment, police said. He was sitting on an outdoor swing surveying the scene when the dog came up from behind and bit him on the right arm.

A camera crew from Evansville TV station WEHT was taping the police search, and got the bite on video.

Stephanie Loehrlein said police dogs seldom bite bystanders but "dogs can make mistakes."

"It doesn't happen very often, but occasionally, we will have an incident," she said.

Police searched the southside neighborhood after two men jumped out of separate cars, one man chasing the other and firing shots from a semiautomatic pistol.

A bullet hit at least one home, police said. One man was arrested on an attempted murder charge, while the other man got away.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll be the first...

If it had been a civilian dog biting a cop, then the headline would read "Cop shoot Dog".

But, since this was a police dog, and we just can't understand the hardships that police dogs face on the streets.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Stephanie Loehrlein said police dogs seldom bite bystanders but "dogs can make mistakes."

"It doesn't happen very often, but occasionally, we will have an incident," she said.

So you mean to tell me that you don't HAVE to shoot a dog that looks at you wrong or thinks you are yummy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:03:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey..we're not gonna shoot OUR dogs.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, the guy's name was John Terry.  I'm sure the dog got confused and thought he was biting John Kerry...it was an honest mistake.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well, the guy's name was John Terry.  I'm sure the dog got confused and thought he was biting John Kerry...it was an honest mistake.  

In that case... good dog. His furry little heart was in the right place.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Darn JBT dogs!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top