Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 6/2/2010 5:23:27 PM EDT
If I were the Commish, I would come out tonight, announce that Joyce is suspended pending a review of his past performance, announce that the official scoring will be a 3-1 putout and that a perfect game will go into the books, and finally, I would institute a replay system where the managers each get one challenge per game.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 7:47:42 PM EDT
Joyce is a 21 year veteran umpire.  I don't see the need for a suspension over a human error.  He said that he thought the runner had beaten the throw and that's why he made the call.  He also went on to say, "I just cost that kid a perfect game" after seeing the replay and I'm sure he feels terrible because nothing can be done.  With that said, I really feel terrible for Armando after such a great pitching performance and I was very disappointed when the call was made as I sat in disbelief because he was clearly out.  

I too believe that there should be some sort of review system in play in the MLB, but not necessarily a 1 challenge per coach deal.  What if Leyland had already used the challenge earlier in the game and this incident came up anyway?  I believe that there should be a system put in place similar to that in the NHL where each goal and final decision is made in a central location (Toronto) by league officials.  I wish that somehow the official MLB record books could be "rewritten" so that the game ended when it should have on that contorversial call, and that Gallaraga gets his name put down in history as having a perfect game, because it was, despite the admittedly wrong call by the umpire.  Sure, humans can make mistakes, but we can also correct them.  I saw on ESPN where a local Detroit writter (I forget who) said that if he was Gallaraga and if he had to wait 15 minutes in the dugout while the umpires reviewed the call and they reversed it so that the game ended when it should have, he wouldn't have felt as excited.  WTF!?  Does this guy realize how stupid he is?  Either there is NO EXCITEMENT and a feeling of such disappointment because the umpire just blew YOUR perfect game with an erroneous call, or there is delayed excitement because it takes the officials a little while longer to make the proper call.  Which would you rather have if you were the pitcher?  I don't think it's right that someone could have pitched such a spectacular game only to have it taken away and be out of his realm of control, especially after that AMAZING catch by Jackson when we all thought the perfect game was over.  The Tigers are saying that Armando had a 28 out perfect game, I'd have to agree.  It's just a shame that fans years down the road may not realize what Armando did, but I have a feeling that this call will go down as one of the worst in all of the major sports.  Also a shame that it will most likely be remembered more for that than his pitching performance.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 7:55:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bs6749:
Joyce is a 21 year veteran umpire.  I don't see the need for a suspension over a human error.  He said that he thought the runner had beaten the throw and that's why he made the call.

You'll notice the time of my post. It was before he made his comment; however, I stand by my post. His record should be reviewed before he calls another game. That call was no where near close. His lousy call was only noticed because of the context. Crap calls like that aren't acceptable...period.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 8:04:10 PM EDT
I realize that he made his statement after you posted. However, I don't see what good it will do to review his record.  What is that going to show us exactly?  We know the call that he made was wrong.  HE knows that the call he made was wrong.  It seems like you are looking to have him reprimanded, where I believe that the league should be spending that time to correct his errors.  As a Tiger fan myself, I was on the phone with my brother talking about this bullshit call right after it happened.  My emotions ran high and I even remembered saying that he should be fired and that he was probably going to be beaten outside of Comerica Park by Tigers fans.  But after having the time to calm down, I realized that none of that would do any good.  I'd rather see the league make it right rather than have Joyce be fired or beaten by a group of drunken fans.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 8:30:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bs6749:
I realize that he made his statement after you posted. However, I don't see what good it will do to review his record.  What is that going to show us exactly?  We know the call that he made was wrong.  HE knows that the call he made was wrong.  It seems like you are looking to have him reprimanded, where I believe that the league should be spending that time to correct his errors.  As a Tiger fan myself, I was on the phone with my brother talking about this bullshit call right after it happened.  My emotions ran high and I even remembered saying that he should be fired and that he was probably going to be beaten outside of Comerica Park by Tigers fans.  But after having the time to calm down, I realized that none of that would do any good.  I'd rather see the league make it right rather than have Joyce be fired or beaten by a group of drunken fans.

It's not him that I'm worried about, it's the message that needs to be sent to the boys in blue. The officiating has not been the best.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 8:34:17 PM EDT
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to watch very many MLB games lately because I've been busy with work, school, etc. so I will take your word for the calls not being that great recently.  If they are anything like what happened in the Detroit and San Jose series of the NHL, then you have a great point.  Detroit has been getting some tough breaks lately...
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 8:37:42 PM EDT
It's not just the calls, it's the grand standing by the umps. They have to be reigned in.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 8:46:57 PM EDT
it's sad about the call, but we stil don't need to fuck up baseball with instant replays.

if there is a problem with an ump, then hopefully MLB can take care of itself..
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 9:16:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RED_5:
it's sad about the call, but we stil don't need to fuck up baseball with instant replays.

if there is a problem with an ump, then hopefully MLB can take care of itself..

I don't see how instant replays "fuck up" a game.  I suppose you could argue that it takes away from the game in some aspects, however I believe that a vast majority of fans would rather see the correct call be made, even if it takes some time, rather than have their team win a game on a blown call.  For instance, if I was a fan of a team that won a championship as a result of a blown call, I would feel cheated in a sense.  My team would have "won", but would they really be champions?  Would I be proud to call myself a winner/champion if I was on that winning team?  There is no way that I would be proud of that. What would I have proved to myself?  They need to get the calls RIGHT, that is why the game is played.  I don't care if it takes 15 minutes to do so.  What is the sense in playing, let alone practicing, if something can be taken away from you by umpire error?  There is no "makeup call" to be made for ruining a perfect game.  There have been 20 perfect games in history before this one.  This pitcher probably has a better chance of winning back to back to back World Series than he does pitching ANOTHER perfect game.  In a sense, this was the worst call that could have been made in the MLB.  This is a case where an ABSENCE of instant replay has fucked up baseball.

It should be like the NHL (once again).  If a goal is scored but the puck comes out so quickly that the ref doesn't see it, the players play on until there is a stoppage in play.  Once there is a stoppage, the goal is reviewed and if it is concluded that the pucked crossed the line and is a goal, then anything else that happened after that time, including penalties, goals by either team, etc. are negated and the time is put back on the clock.  I think that is a very good system and it should be what happened in this MLB situation.  The 27th batter should have been called out at first, have his hit removed from his stats, and the 28th batter would never have batted.  After all, that is what would have happened had the umpire made the right call.  Why not get it right?  Is it so bad to have to make a correction to something that was admittedly wrong?  Why is it that the MLB has a "what's done is done" policy with their calls?  It's stupid if you ask me.  They risk losing part of their fan base if they keep making calls like this.  I don't find it entertaining in the least to have such a great performance muffed because of umpire error.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 9:57:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dport:

It's not just the calls, it's the grand standing by the umps. They have to be reigned in.

what are you talking about? One guy (west) is an ass hat and now its a huge problem? Joyce blew a call. It happens all the time. And that play is a pretty hard one to see/hear. The only reason it is a big deal is that it ended a perfect game. That being said, I wish there was a way for Selig to reverse the call, But that will NEVER happen.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 5:40:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Cuda:

Originally Posted By dport:

what are you talking about? One guy (west) is an ass hat and now its a huge problem? Joyce blew a call. It happens all the time. And that play is a pretty hard one to see/hear. The only reason it is a big deal is that it ended a perfect game. That being said, I wish there was a way for Selig to reverse the call, But that will NEVER happen.

If you think that West is the only grandstander in blue, you're sadly mistaken. The umps have always thought they are why people see the game. Hell, I remember watching TWIB in the 80s and seeing umps try to out do each other with out and safe calls at first base. They're better than they used to be, but they're still not in their place yet.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 7:45:20 AM EDT
What really impressed me was Mr. Galarraga's reaction to the bad call.  He was gracious, forgiving, and anything but angry.

I generally have a pretty poor perception of professional athletes.  I am one of those people who think they are horribly overpaid, spoiled, ungrateful, poorly mannered, and generally poor role models.  Sure, there are exceptions, and I am very pleased to be able to admit that Mr. Galarraga's good sportsmanship following an obviously bad call, includes him in what I think is very small group of professional athletes who actually are good role models for our youth (and many of us older people too).

I think Galarraga's graciousness should be more of the story than the ump's bad call.  If we discussed the positive way Galarraga acted after being denied a very precious sports accomplishment, perhaps more players would see the attention that good manners get for players, and cause them to act in a similar manner.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:22:58 PM EDT
It wasnt just a blown call, it was a terrible blown call.  I could understand if it was close, but he was out by a full stride.

Why didnt the umps conference... I'll never understand.

I think baseball needs replays for certian calls, they should setup a war room like the NHL, by the time the manager is done arguing with the ump they'd confirm the call.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:01:00 PM EDT
Mr. Joyce admitted when he was wrong, so I'll admit that I was wrong. He doesn't need to be suspended. Bud Selig needs to be fired.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:08:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By poitza:

It wasnt just a blown call, it was a terrible blown call. I could understand if it was close, but he was out by a full stride.

Why didnt the umps conference... I'll never understand.

I think baseball needs replays for certian calls, they should setup a war room like the NHL, by the time the manager is done arguing with the ump they'd confirm the call.

I agree with what you said here.

Top Top