Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 7:31:47 PM EDT
Yesterday, I was wearing one of my motorcycle t-shirts.  In this case, from the old Easyriders shop, south side of Atlanta...

Now, I've had folks adress me in all sorts of manners.

Usually, if I'm wearing any kind of shirt with a collar... button down, polo, what ever... I get lot's of "Sir" "Boss" "Chief" stuff like that...  folks generally get out of my way, and I like that just fine

So yesterday, I'm walking out of a truck stop with a scale ticket in hand and I hear "Hey bro!"

Sitting on the curb, is a guy, probably in his 50's.  Obviously down on his luck...

Asks me "Hey Bro... can I get a lift to Chicago with you???"

I just reply "No." and keep walking...

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yesterday, I was wearing one of my motorcycle t-shirts.  In this case, from the old Easyriders shop, south side of Atlanta...

Usually, if I'm wearing any kind of shirt with a collar... button down, polo, what ever... I get lot's of "Sir" "Boss" "Chief" stuff like that...  folks generally get out of my way, and I like that just fine

So yesterday, I'm walking out of a truck stop with a scale ticket in hand and I hear "Hey bro!"

Sitting on the curb, is a guy, probably in his 50's.  Obviously down on his luck...

Should have replied

I take payment by Kidneys.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#3]
[Donny Baker]I swear to god it was true man![/Donny Baker]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Next time say, Sure thing Bro!

Then drop him off in Stone Park at 2 AM with a sign on his back that says "I hate cops."

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I have recently started a job that requires me to wear a suit every day. the difference in how I am treated while wearing a suit is remarkable. Lots of "Sirs" and salepeople drop everything to ask if they can help me lol. it's actually kind of fun.

Say, remember when Eddy Murphy dd the SNL skit where he had makeup on to lok like a White guy? It's like that, in a way.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#6]

You should have said ya sure, you sure have a purdy mouth.  

Then watched his reaction.

If he said, "why yes I do"

That would be the point where you drew down on him.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

WTF?  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Maybe he thought you were cute.

Quiet you!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:42:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Say, remember when Eddy Murphy dd the SNL skit where he had makeup on to lok like a White guy? It's like that, in a way.

That shit was hilarious!

"And when the last black man got off the bus, they started serving drinks..."

heh
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?  

Bob and Tom in the morning. Radio Show

Donny Baker is funny as hell.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#12]
You people are awful, poor guy.  The right thing to do would have been to smile say "sure thing" ....then walk up to him and kick him in the junk.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?  

Is that the guy who's always trying to sell his bass boat???

oh, and those guys ROCK!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You people are awful, poor guy.  The right thing to do would have been to smile say "sure thing" ....then walk up to him and kick him in the junk.

He didn't have any junk.  If he had, I'm sure he could have sold it and used the proceeds for a bus ticket, no?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#15]
The clothes make the man
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You people are awful, poor guy.  The right thing to do would have been to smile say "sure thing" ....then walk up to him and kick him in the junk.hr

He didn't have any junk.  If he had, I'm sure he could have sold it and used the proceeds for a bus ticket, no?

I was thinking more of junk=cajones
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I ONLY wear shirts with "Round" Buttons.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok and?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The clothes make the man

You see, it's not who you are,
It's how you dress.
That's one thing I've learned from these guys,
I must confess.

Now look, I got this job no just being myself,
No!
I went out, got some brand new shoes,
and I walk like someone else!

-Sammy Hagar, "Summer Nights" 1986
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I ONLY wear shirts with "Round" Buttons.

www.tnt-audio.com/jpeg/whacked.jpg

That would make you "elite"  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#21]
So which direction were you headed?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

East, thru Indy, and then north to Michigan...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:11:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Maybe he thought you were cute.  Maybe he really liked your shirt.  Maybe he really DID want a ride...

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:05:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Maybe he thought you were cute.  Maybe he really liked your shirt.  Maybe he really DID want a ride...

Don't encourage her
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:04:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a shirt that reads I HATE YOUR GUTS. I never have anyone ask me for anything.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:26:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and you didn't stop and say hi.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:30:32 AM EDT
[#27]
"It is said that clothes make the man.  This is true.  Naked people have very little influence in our society." - Mark Twain
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:01:45 AM EDT
[#28]
i bike with a full faced healmet, and usualy either a european looking racing jacket, or a pull over (pocket-T or polo), never have anyone talk to me. i dunno if its because its not like i'd hear them anyway  (herley screamin' eagle pipes), or because they can't see my face. either way it works for me. i never wear any of that old school biker stuff except my HOG patches and lepell pin.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:33:43 AM EDT
[#29]
It does make a difference.  I've actually done experiments by dressing differently.  I usually do the "nice clean-shaven dude" thing, but around here that put a lot of people off.  I've been told that I intimidate people.  So I've done the opposite; left that 1-2 days beard growth (hey it worked for Don Johnson, Miami Vice), worn a clean but tattered Harley sweatshirt with the sleeves cut off and I've found that people are much friendlier.  Chicks too!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:18:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and you didn't stop and say hi.

uh... I didn't know there was an outstanding invitation
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
i bike with a full faced healmet, and usualy either a european looking racing jacket, or a pull over (pocket-T or polo), never have anyone talk to me. i dunno if its because its not like i'd hear them anyway  (herley screamin' eagle pipes), or because they can't see my face. either way it works for me. i never wear any of that old school biker stuff except my HOG patches and lepell pin.

I would wager that it's your smell that keeps people away........
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Hey Nationwide,

Which ones bug you more:  Beggers or Lot Lizzards(especially when your in your truck trying to sleep/rest)?

I hated both!

Travis
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#33]
I havent had enough coffee yet.  This makes no fuckin sense.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#34]
So, did you get his number?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#35]
I have some tattoos, and when I used to have long hair and smoked I was at the train station wearing a rock t-shirt waiting for my ex wife (not ex at the time). This guy sitting on the stairs walks up to me and says, "Hey bro, can I bum a smoke off you?", like all of a sudden we're stoner rock brothers. Then he asks, "Wanna buy some speed?"  Dude, I don't do speed, and I'm standing with my mother at the train station you scummy loser.

You have to listen to the Bob and Tom show to get the Donnie Baker reference.
[Donnie Baker] I swear to God you do man![Donnie Baker]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Hey Nationwide,

Which ones bug you more:  Beggers or Lot Lizzards(especially when your in your truck trying to sleep/rest)?

I hated both!

Travis

Nah, I've seen Lot Lizzards I'd hit!  I have no sympathy for beggars.  ESPECIALLY when there is the tax payer provided "safety net".  There's shelters, and food banks, and church's waiting in line to help these people.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Shoulda told him..

"Gas, Ass or Grass, no free rides"

I would pay $ to see his expression.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The clothes make the man

It's how you dress.
I must confess.

No!

Actually that is from "Inside".

Summer Nights went something like this:
"Hot summer nights and my radio.
Thats all I need, baby don't you know?"
ect, ect, etc.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Here is a link (intentionally cold) of a bob & tom show.  http://mfile.akamai.com/5028/wma/bobntom.download.akamai.com/5028/clips/cotw/bestof_harland_armstong.asx

It is radio safe mods.  FCC compliant.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The clothes make the man

It's how you dress.
I must confess.

No!

Actually that is from "Inside".

Summer Nights went something like this:
"Hot summer nights and my radio.
Thats all I need, baby don't you know?"
ect, ect, etc.

Damn... you're RIGHT!  My VanHalen-fu has gotten weak due to lack of use
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#41]
If I were to go to the BMW dealership in a borrowed Honda, wearing jeans, a ratty tshirt and a ball cap, I would probably be laughed out of the place. If I were to go there in my stepmothers Z4, wearing a polo shirt, 5.11 pants, nice shoes, no cap and looking the salesman square in the eye and introducing myself by name and corporate affiliation, I could probably drive anything I wanted.

Well...one time I was wearing muddy clothes, work boots and riding in a Toyota truck, and the guy let me drive the Z06.....
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
If I were to go to the BMW dealership in a borrowed Honda, wearing jeans, a ratty tshirt and a ball cap, I would probably be laughed out of the place. If I were to go there in my stepmothers Z4, wearing a polo shirt, 5.11 pants, nice shoes, no cap and looking the salesman square in the eye and introducing myself by name and corporate affiliation, I could probably drive anything I wanted.

Well...one time I was wearing muddy clothes, work boots and riding in a Toyota truck, and the guy let me drive the Z06.....

I showed up at a BMW dealership once... not in a Honda...ON a Kawasaki

They gave me the keys and let me demo a R1150GS unsupervised... "Try to be back in a half hour" the salesman said!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#43]
It's true, my gosh.

Today, I was in the plane and I look over and next to me, is a guy wearing the same jumpsuit!

Well, I turn to my friend and say "I am not going out this plane with that man. He's wearing the same suit!"

Needless to say, I nearly died of embarassment.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a suit that I rarely wear (mostly for weddings only), and have noticed that when I wear it, girls usually smile at me quite a bit more, will try to make conversation, etc.  Even when I have the jacket off, tie loosened and sleeves rolled up.

Usually I dress like a shithead (cammo cut-offs, sleeved leg showing,  and black band shirts, unshaven) and nobody pays attention to me.

I should probably work on that.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?  

[Donny Baker]Shut up Randy![/Donny Baker]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:24:29 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

You were wearing the assless chaps with nothing underneath again weren't you?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
It's true, my gosh.

Today, I was in the plane and I look over and next to me, is a guy wearing the same jumpsuit!

Well, I turn to my friend and say "I am not going out this plane with that man. He's wearing the same suit!"

Needless to say, I nearly died of embarassment.

Yea, but if you jump first, everyone on the ground will think he's copying you.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top