Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/8/2006 11:03:48 AM EDT
Here are some photo's of a traffic crash I worked last fall, where a 19 year old kid decided to run from me on  a Yamaha 1000, after I got him on radar at only 15mph over the limit.  Our department had been in an ongoing battle with the "Crotch Rocket" kids around the city, to the point where one group of kids had decals made for their bikes that said "FTP", or Fuck The Police !!!  

Anyway, this kid took off when he saw me turn in behind him, and I  was quickly loosing sight of him.  He passed by a local mechanic's shop that rides/races bikes, and he estimated that this kid was going 130+ when he went by.  

About another 3/4 mile up the road, a small delivery truck was pulling out of a convience store to go the same direction on to the same street as our pursuit.  With the bike traveling that fast, the truck driver never saw the bike and pulled out right in front of him !!!!

The driver said he heard a loud noise & felt a a jolt to the rear of his truck, but had no idea what had happened.  He then pulled righ back in to the drive way of the store he had just left from.

As I'm trying to catch up with the bike, I saw a big cloud of dust ahead...knowing the kid had crashed.  I notified Dispatch to send EMS as I rolled up on a crumpled pile of motorcycle.  

As I exited my patrol car I started looking for the bidy of the rider in the expected area, but he was no where to be found.  About that time, the truck driver came around from behind his truck and yelled "  He's in here !!!"  

When I ran around behind the truck I was in for the suprise of my day.....The bike had crashed in to the right-rear bumper of the truck, ejecting the rider and throwing him head-first through the roll-up rear door of the delivery truck !!!  The kid's head and upper body were INSIDE the back of the truck, with his lower body dangling off the back of the truck.

To my suprise, the kid was moaning and yelling to get him out of there....He was ALIVE !!!  After we got the roll-up door open and the kid layed on his back, he was actually trying to sit up.  We had to hold his head down to keep him on his back until EMS arived.  

He was soon air-lifted to a near by trauma center, where he was checked from head-to-toe, and released the next day!!!!  No broken bones, only soar and scuffed up.

Helmet definately saved his life.

Link Posted: 9/8/2006 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Holy SHIT!!

I can't believe anyone would've survived that.....much less check out of the hospital the next day.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#2]
FTP now means Furiously Thrashed Punk,  I guess.

So did you give him the 15 over ticket, or not?  

CJ
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#3]
so you had his tag number and still cased himi guess its  best to put people in danger over someone speeding when you got his tag and can just pick him up when he get home
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
so you had his tag number and still cased himi guess its  best to put people in danger over someone speeding when you got his tag and can just pick him up when he get home

I hope you're joking. Nobody forced that kid to go up to 130MPH. Nobody forced him to speed in the first place. Sounds like a series of poor choices, one compounding the other.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Everytime I see one of those GD crotch rockets fly by me on the highway weaving in and out of traffic, the devil in me hopes he either gets stopped or crashes.  Never happens.

glad to see sometimes it does.

Hey, I'm not wishing ill will on anyone.  But stupid is as stupid does.

Those F-ers are a menace.
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#6]

No 19 year old dumb asses are a menace .

If CR's are a menace then guns are a menace .

All depends on operator headspacing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That kid never new he was being chased!  Just how fast do you think a cruiser is?  That kid was over 100mph AS SOON AS he saw the cruiser turn around.  Were not talking mins her, but seconds, most if not all these modern bikes will hit well over 100mph in about 8-9 seconds.

That kid probably never even saw the cop after he saw him start to turn around.  Forget them, that is not our fault.  We had a special deal up here where we try to talk dumb ass parents out of buying a 16-17 year old a bike that will hit top speeds if unmodified 150-160mph in less than 20 seconds after one hit a parked car doing 140mph.

A kid with little to no experience running 130mph down a busy city street is going to wreck whether the po po is running him or not.

If you were being sarcastic I am sorry.

I helped scrap up 5 of them between 04-06 and all were under the age of 20 and all were running insane speeds, for no reason.    

Edited to add:  The 600cc model of the same bike this idiot was on runs a 10second 130mph quarter mile.  This kid had a 1000cc bike which runs faster.
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

F.Y.I.  ASS-HAT....The kids tags were stashed in the glove box under the seat.  He knew I had no way of identifying him when he ran.  I never got close enough to see if he had a tag on the bike to begin with.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2006 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

No 19 year old dumb asses are a menace .

If CR's are a menace then guns are a menace .

All depends on operator headspacing.

I never said all CR's are a menace, you read into it.  I said "those F-ers", meaning, stupid assholes that fly by me on the highway weaving in and out of traffic on a CR.  If that means you, then yes, you're a menace too.

If not, then have a nice day.
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the goes in the "How hardcore are you" thread.

"I'm so hard core, i hit a truck at 150+ mph, flew into a truck, and lived. Bitches"
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#12]
The kid survived that crash and was out of the hospital next day??

That's pretty incredible.
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, so I don't know anything about being a cop, but when a person reaches speeds like that isn't that an automatic trip to the pokey?........ after the hospital of course!
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Too bad you dont have a pic of the idiot with his lower body hanging outside of the truck door.  That would be priceless.
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Darwin is pissed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Too bad he didn't do us a favor and kill himself there. Nice to be rid of another reckless disregard for human life ass hat on the road.
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Too bad he didn't do us a favor and kill himself there. Nice to be rid of another reckless disregard for human life ass hat on the road.

unless its your son personally I dont see the reason to chase unless its a felony stop. Sometimes others get killed that had nothing to do with the chase. but thanks for sharing the details and photos, he lucky to be alive.
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Intellegence is the inverse of the horsepower.  I have seen it.  Unless you grew up Amish, you have done some dumb stuff on 2 or 4 wheels too.  Most survive, say "holy shit, I almost died" then step it down a notch.  Some don't.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Intellegence is the inverse of the horsepower.  I have seen it.  Unless you grew up Amish, you have done some dumb stuff on 2 or 4 wheels too.  Most survive, say "holy shit, I almost died" then step it down a notch.  Some don't.  

I certainly did dumb stuff as a 16 year old.

Not that dumb, but dumb enough that I'm lucky I didn't hurt myself or somebody else.
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope you're joking. Nobody forced that kid to go up to 130MPH. Nobody forced him to speed in the first place. Sounds like a series of poor choices, one compounding the other.

-Foxxz

I do stupid things on sportbikes too.

I never run, just pull over, do the yes  sir detail and usually they just say not to  do it again. You can always just pull over and be NICE.

The cop didn't twist the throttle for him.
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#21]
What was the kid eventually charged with?

Brian
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Absolutely amazing that moron lived!  
Link Posted: 9/9/2006 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep!
Link Posted: 9/9/2006 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#24]
When you found him, your first act should have been to OC him and hollar "STOP RESISTING! STOP RESISTING!!!"

Like Chris Rock says, "If the Police have to chase you, know they are bringing an ass whippin with them!"  
Link Posted: 9/9/2006 9:12:40 AM EDT
[#25]
This reminds me of a GREAT joke that would vioalte the C.O.C.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2006 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Darwin is pissed.

He'll get another chance with this one.

Link Posted: 9/9/2006 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/9/2006 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#28]
I worked a motorcycle wreck one time where a guy t-boned a FedEx truck at about 80mph, went clean through and out the sides of the truck and ended up on the street.  He probably would have survived if the dump truck in the opposite lane hadn't run him over.
Link Posted: 9/9/2006 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I worked a motorcycle wreck one time where a guy t-boned a FedEx truck at about 80mph, went clean through and out the sides of the truck and ended up on the street.  He probably would have survived if the dump truck in the opposite lane hadn't run him over.

hahaha
Link Posted: 9/9/2006 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#30]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Too bad he didn't do us a favor and kill himself there. Nice to be rid of another reckless disregard for human life ass hat on the road.he

Last I checked eluding a Peace Officer is a felony.
Link Posted: 9/9/2006 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I worked security a few years back at a very large auto company. Shift change times were the most dreaded time of the day because there was always some idiot that just HAD to get out of the parking lot ahead of everyone else. The day that will always stick out in my memory was a month or 2 after the Honda Hurricane made it's debut. This young kid had bought one as his First bike! He came rocketing out of the parking lot onto the service road. Later his speed was estimated to be 75-80 in less than a quarter of a mile! Car pulls out in front of him. He was ejected and his feet got snagged on the handlebars! Tore both feet off at the ankles. If there hadn't been a bunch of paramedics who were leaving at the same time he would have bled to death. Maybe it was just a coincidence that speed bumps (big ones!) were installed the next week!
Link Posted: 9/9/2006 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#32]
northwest arkansas?
Link Posted: 9/10/2006 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

So what would you want the Police to do if this idiot had creamed someone dear to you instead of hitting the truck? Nice to see policing is the same the World over, damned if you do and damned if you don't!
Link Posted: 9/10/2006 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Dear themadhatter,

Get a Clue.
Link Posted: 9/10/2006 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Central Ohio
Link Posted: 9/10/2006 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Whatcha wanna bet the punk had no insurance either on himself or the bike and that the bike was bought either on credit (in which case the finance company eats it) or by an ignorant mommy or daddy?

Either way, all of us pay for this stupidity, which is a great reason for the cops to try to stop them at all costs.

Bitch about it when one of them comes flying through YOUR windshield at a combined speed of about 185 mph and kills your family.
Link Posted: 9/10/2006 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn god was looking over that guy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2006 6:27:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Had one of these as a fatality the other day. Dropped the bike on gravel and hit the curb crushing his skull. (No helmet)

Mommy and daddy bought him the bike for his 18th Birthday. (He'd had it 7 days)  The kid had NEVER ridden a motorcycle before.

On the bright side, the hospital harvested his kidneys and heart.

Link Posted: 9/13/2006 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Classic. Nice rush to judgement w/o all the details.

roy d...just goes to show ya, cops can never win with some folks
Link Posted: 9/13/2006 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#40]
What was he finally charged with?
Link Posted: 9/13/2006 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
What was the kid eventually charged with?

Brian

Flying-Through the-air-with-the-greatest-of-ease without a license.
Link Posted: 9/13/2006 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hahaha

that needs to go in the horrible things that i laughed at thread.
Link Posted: 9/14/2006 12:13:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
....Were not talking mins her, but seconds, most if not all these modern bikes will hit well over 100mph in about 8-9 seconds.

....a bike that will hit top speeds if unmodified 150-160mph in less than 20 seconds ...

....A kid with little to no experience running 130mph down a busy city street is going to wreck whether the po po is running him or not.

I would burn my bike while dancing around it naked and howling at the moon if my bike took 8-9 seconds to reach 100mph or 150-160 in 20 seconds.  100mph almost comes in first gear in under 4 seconds.  And this is a stock bike.

If you are on a sport or super sport bike and cannot out run a car in a chase situation than it is due to pilot error.

Still he should not have done it, but all of us in LE see this stuff often.  Stupidity is just another piece of the job security puzzle.
Link Posted: 9/14/2006 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Sounds like he survived a full power shot....

Link Posted: 9/14/2006 3:59:09 AM EDT
[#45]
It's amazing how often this combination is heard over the radio:

Dispatch:  Vehicle accident involving a motorcyle 1234 Main Street Anytown Township
              Cross Streets Elm and Maple.  Station XXX Direct fly of the Helicoper.

A BLS ambulance transport is billed at around $600.00.  I can only image what the copter ride costs and who foots the bill?  
Link Posted: 9/14/2006 5:22:28 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

A BLS ambulance transport is billed at around $600.00.  I can only image what the copter ride costs and who foots the bill?  

around here a chopper ride starts at 10K and goes up from there
Link Posted: 9/14/2006 7:39:50 AM EDT
[#47]
He's lucky to be alive.  Although, I don't feel bad for him.  He made the choice to run from the police, and he made the choice to take his bike up near 130mph.  Hopefully he and others will learn from their mistakes.  FTP huh?  The good guys always have the last laugh...
Link Posted: 9/14/2006 7:51:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Any dash cam video of the legs sticking out the back of the truck?  
Link Posted: 9/14/2006 8:16:45 AM EDT
[#49]
A friend of mine works ER.  They call them "Donorcycles"
Link Posted: 9/14/2006 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Registration only proves who the vehicle is registered to, not who is actually driving it.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top