Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 11:57:20 AM EDT
As you watch the opening ceremonies tonight, you may want to ponder how things were a mere two generations ago.

Sorry for the fuzzy stills, I did these in a hurry. Shots are from Olympia (1938), the Leni Reifehstahl documentary of the 1936 games.

The film starts with an ironic depiction of the Olympic flame travelling through various countries from Greece to Germany, the majority of which will be travelled by German forces within the next 4 years.

The crowd greets the visiting athletes with the Nazi salute.

The Japanese and Italian athletes look pretty militaristic.

The French enter dragging their national colors on the ground.

Hitler watches the French enter.

They give Hitler the Nazi salute.

The Germans enter.

Hitler officially announces the opening of the games.

Things will be very different in 3 years.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#1]
a)Why are some of the Germans giving the standard salute? I thought only the Kreigsmarine (Navy, spelled badly) kept that?

b)Why are the frog colors on the ground?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
a)Why are some of the Germans giving the standard salute? I thought only the Kreigsmarine (Navy, spelled badly) kept that?

I don't know the answer to the first question but I can guess at the answer to the second.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Was the US of A not there?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Shouldn't have slept through history class!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shouldn't have slept through history class!

If I listened to my history teacher then we would all be hippies under a communist government.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I take it you've never heard of Jesse Owens?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"[Jesse]Owens won four gold medals; in the 100m, 200m, long jump and 4 x 100m relay. During the Games he broke 11 Olympic records and defeated Lutz Lang in a very close long jump final. The German (Lang) was the first to congratulate Owens when the long jump final was over. There were 10 African American members of the American athletics team. Between them they won 7 gold medals, 3 silvers and 3 bronze - more than any national team won in track and field at the Games, except America itself. Hitler refused to place the gold medal around Owen's neck."
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:39:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Jesse Owens ring a bell?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I dont think the military used the nazi salute until 39.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesse Owens ring a bell?

After a quick refresher on Wikipedia I can kind of remember reading that.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I beleive the military was prevented by law from political activity and from membership in political parties. The Nazi party was one of these. To give the Nazi salute was verboten.

I do not htink the SS was a true military branch - as were the Heer (army), Kriegsmarine (navy), and Luftwaffe (air force)

I guess the French need to do things a little differently. Perhaps its their special way af saying "we are actually better than you"?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I beleive the military was prevented by law from political activity and from membership in political parties. The Nazi party was one of these. To give the Nazi salute was verboten.

I do not htink the SS was a true military branch - as were the Heer (army), Kriegsmarine (navy), and Luftwaffe (air force)

I guess the French need to do things a little differently.

No, the military gave Nazi salutes. The Navy didn't like it (I've read they were the least Nazified of the military), and so didn't always use it. I've got pics of the brass on Bismarck giving both to Hitler when he came aboard.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Ya know...in this pic you can almost see him thinking...

I'm gonna invade your country...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwDpAqUUgPildxQpJ1AD8nJtpanTytJaVcHtUcrqSvsjkuYxeQJi0fLZVtYkBOyw9g8njE05o6*yWWzozHvD6fvp!I3tmpoTRoUTjPl5WkBA7ISDtyHQAw/NDVD_0130.JPG

Sizing up the amount of fight in his enemies' no doubt.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Wasn't he in "Blazing Saddles?"
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Will the real star step forward:

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Take that, Hitler

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwDpAqUUgPildxQpJ1AD8nJtpanTytJaVcHtUcrqSvsjkuYxeQJi0fLZVtYkBOyw9g8njE05o6*yWWzozHvD6fvp!I3tmpoTRoUTjPl5WkBA7ISDtyHQAw/NDVD_0130.JPG

You read my mind!

[hitler] All your frogs are bel0ng to me! [/hitler]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Jesse Owens Rocked.  I was watching a short program on the history channel a few days ago and there were several other black American atheletes that kicked some arian ass besides just Owens but Owens obviously was the best known.

Patty
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Actually, when I saw it, I was thinking he looked like a cat observing his prey shortly before pouncing.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#23]
AFA Jesse Owens is concerned, I have to wonder how good he'd have been if he had today's knowledge and technology (not steroids, btw) to work with.

That dude was incredible.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I guess no one bothered telling Hitler that mustache looked gay.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium

Located on Fred Taylor Drive, north of Lane Avenue, Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium is the newest addition to The Ohio State University Department of Athletics’ aggressive campaign to upgrade and build state-of-the-art facilities of competition.

The 10,000-seat Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium arguably is one of the finest multi-sport facilities in the country, hosting track and field and lacrosse in the spring and soccer in the fall.

It serves as a cornerstone to the surrounding Ohio State athletic complex that features the Woody Hayes Athletic Center, softball's Buckeye Field, the field hockey turf field, Bill Davis Baseball Stadium and the 19,200-seat Jerome Schottenstein Center.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Take that, Hitler

www.beijen.net/frank/arti/2002/owens-j.jpg

And contrary to popular myth, the Owens win was actually very well received by the German crowd.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:39:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Interestingly, when my old high school in Berlin was taken over by the Germans, they named in honor of another American Olympic athlete.

Wilma-Rudolph-Oberschule (formerly Berlin American High School.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top