Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 5:05:32 PM EDT
Any of you guys have any experience with an Isuzu Trooper?

I have a friend wanting to sell me his 1999 model for $400!

He says it has a big dent in the hood, but is mechcanically in perfect order.

It is a 4cyl, 4X4.

Any recommendations?

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#1]
wife has a 94 with 180,000 + miles on it and she loves it and it runs very well. weve had it for a year now and it hasnt given us any trouble.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Windgap,

Is your wife's a 4 cylinder?

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#3]
no,6.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of mileage is she getting?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Hell, if you don't want it, I'll come out and buy it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 95 P'up with the 4 cylinder fuel-injected engine.  So far the truck has cost me

1) oxygen sensor
2) spark plugs/wires
3) fuel filters
4) oil changes
5) shocks
6) Timing belt

As you can see, the only things that I have replaced were scheduled maintenance items.  I wouldn't give a shit if the truck crapped out tomorrow-- I have more than gotten my money's worth from it.

More mechnically expert people here could likely tell you for sure, but I think that the V6 in the izuzu line of vehicles was originally a chevy motor, and I think it had less of a rep for reliability than the 4-cyl.

For $400, you don' need very much time to recoup the investment.  

You will not, however, be looking at any sort of awe-inspiring power.

ETA, I think you could expect 22-24 mpg on the highway with the 4 cyl, maybe lower if you run 17" rims.  My truck ran 29mpg until I swapped out for bigger tires, and after 125K miles, it is only getting low 20s, which means that there is a problem that I haven't been able to diagnose somewhere.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hell, if you don't want it, I'll come out and buy it.

The thing is, I know it's a great deal, but I don't really need another vehicle, I drive a truck and my wife has a sable.

If it is a reliable vehicle and gets good gas mileage, I could drive it as a work vehicle.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Saw one flipped over down the street (two lane road) a few hours ago.  Tow truck was there trying to figure out how to right it back up...

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm considering the purchase of a early 90's Trooper or Mitsu Montero myself.
I have had both types in the past and liked them. My Trooper was a 96 and had the v6.
I think it got around 16mpg around town and 19mpg on the highway. The 4 cyl Montero was about the same.

I'm shoping for a 4 cylinder Trooper. How hard is it to change the timing belt on the Isuzu 2.8 4 cyl engine?

Is the Isuzu 4 banger a better engine than the Mitsubishi v6 that was used in the Montero/Raider?

I have a car that I really like (older BMW) but I am always needing to haul stuff so I'm gonna have to go back to an SUV.

Drive safe,

Flyer
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Forgot to add:

$400 for a Trooper is a really good deal!

I'd buy that even if I did'nt need it...

<Napoleon voice>  "Lucky"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top