Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2002 10:33:24 AM EDT
The Israelis have to pay the PRC $350 million in compensation for the cancelled sale of that Phalcon airborne radar system they were going to sell to the commies.  The deal was nixed when the US government got wind of the deal and did some heavy duty "arm twisting" to get the Isralis to cancell the deal. (Probably threatened to cut their allowance)!

I guess this is good news that the PRC won't get that advanced radar system, but US taxpayers will probably be the ones who actually foot the bill! [:(!]

Source?  Yedioth Ahronoth an Israeli newspaper.  I guess Eric might accept this info because it's not coming from an arabist wahabist source like Reuters! [:P]

DaMan

Link Posted: 2/13/2002 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are not in their neck-of-the-woods and an immediate threat to them they will clearly sell high tech military equipment to dangerous regimes. Yes, it helps fund their legitimate security needs, but one day that quality hardware in the hands of our adversaries may result in americans coming home in body bags. We must continue to be insistent with them: as we are supporting their security they must respect ours.

The French are little better however(I don't think they've stooped as low as selling to China - just other third-worlders), and the Russians are so desperate for cash they are selling to any dictatorship they can find (many adjacent)... which is risky business.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The Israelis have to pay the PRC $350 million in compensation for the cancelled sale of that Phalcon airborne radar system they were going to sell to the commies.  The deal was nixed when the US government got wind of the deal and did some heavy duty "arm twisting" to get the Israelis to cancel the deal. (Probably threatened to cut their allowance)!

I guess this is good news that the PRC won't get that advanced radar system, but US taxpayers will probably be the ones who actually foot the bill! [:(!]

Source?  Yedioth Ahronoth an Israeli newspaper.  I guess Eric might accept this info because it's not coming from an arabist wahabist source like Reuters! [:P]

DaMan

View Quote

Wonder if this news will be revealed in the U.S. ?

Yes, the U.S. taxpayer paid for the system development and will pay the $350 Million.

After all, Israel is our devoted "a**y" !
(So long as the 'check' is never late.)

[X]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 2:33:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Wonder if this news will be revealed in the U.S. ?

Yes, the U.S. taxpayer paid for the system development and will pay the $350 Million.

After all, Israel is our devoted "a**y" !
(So long as the 'check' is never late.)

[X]
View Quote

5subslr5, did you hear or see anything about this in the "mainstream' media when the US forced the Israelis to drop the contract back in June?  I don't think there will be much coverage of this settlement to China either!

DaMan
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
no one ever said the isreali's were squeaky clean businessmen. As for technology our last president gave the chicoms FAR more damaging stuff.
View Quote

Beer_Slayer, I don't think you'll get an arguement from me on what you posted above.  We got rid of Klinton!  It's also time we stopped subsidizing the misbehavor of Israel.

DaMan  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top