Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 6:37:54 AM EDT
Israel  Receives U.S. Strykers for Prototype Testing
By BARBARA OPALL-ROME, TEL AVIV

Three U.S.-built Stryker combat vehicles are due to arrive here Sept. 9 for extensive field testing, the results of which will determine whether Israel ends up purchasing hundreds of the light personnel carriers.

In interviews here, Israeli officials said the Strykers, built by Sterling Heights, Mich.-based General Dynamics Land Systems, would first undergo a series of tests to assess how the generic Stryker chassis operates in desert, mountainous and urban warfare conditions.

Toward the middle of 2005, the U.S.-built vehicles will be outfitted with locally developed armor and weapon stations geared toward possible Israeli-specific Stryker missions. Prototype testing of the locally enhanced Strykers is expected to continue through the end of 2005, and could include up to eight different variants of the Stryker, including a version for paratrooper insertion and special operations; an engineering version to detect mines and explosive devices; an anti-tank combat variant; and a version for medical and search-and-rescue operations.

Amos Yaron, director-general of Israel’s Ministry of Defense, said the Stryker technology demonstration program will allow Israeli decision-makers to determine how the U.S.-built Stryker can best meet Israeli military requirements. “We anticipate tremendous benefits from this system, especially once it is equipped with Israeli systems and technologies,” Yaron told DefenseNews.com.

Yaron, a retired major general who commanded several divisions in his former career, said the Stryker “certainly has a place in many units of the IDF [Israel Defense Forces].”

He added, however, that budget considerations will factor heavily in Israel’s ultimate decision to purchase the vehicles or not. “It will be much easier to make budget decisions regarding Stryker after these [locally-built] systems are installed and proven.”

In a critical mid-June meeting, the IDF General Staff decided to defer an estimated $200 million to $250 million multiyear budgetary commitment to the Stryker program for the purchase of hundreds of vehicles. Instead, the General Staff opted to fund only the Stryker technology demonstration program, which will continue through December 2005.

The General Staff’s decision to defer Stryker procurement was a temporary setback for Maj. Gen. Yiftah Ron-Tal, commander of Israel’s Land Forces Command, who has hailed Israeli-upgraded versions of the Stryker as the keystone of his proposed multiyear Infantry Mobility modernization program.

Nevertheless, Ron-Tal said in late July that he remains confident that the General Staff and Ministry of Defense ultimately will endorse what he termed “significant purchases” of the Stryker for use in urban anti-terror operations, as well as for future deployments on the conventional battlefield.
"

www.defensenews.com

Andy
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:02:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Good deal I'm sure the Israelies will put it through its paces
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:12:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure they will be LESS than impressed!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:14:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder what Chinese intel will think of them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:16:24 AM EDT
[#4]
and give up the M113
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:17:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I think that sort of comment violates the CoC.

But accurate.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:58:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Harrumff… chicon copycat humvee… harrummff.

www.sinodefence.com/army/transport/hmmwv.asp

Andy
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#7]
My guess is that it's actually legally built under license.

Are the PRC Black Hawks produced locally, or in the US?

NTM
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#8]
The Isrealis did a spendid job on the M113s, they added protection for the M2 gunner and added 2-3 more 30cal machine guns with protection for the operator. If you look at the current situation, the gunner in these vehicles are really exposed, look how high up those guys are. It would be logical to add armour to protect him. Something that is lost on USA equipment.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#9]
yeah...

i bet the chicoms will copy it, just like everything else

the ar15, M14, ak variants, hummer, 1911, ect

about the only thing they have not copied is the old japaneese godzilla movies
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The Isrealis did a spendid job on the M113s, they added protection for the M2 gunner and added 2-3 more 30cal machine guns with protection for the operator. If you look at the current situation, the gunner in these vehicles are really exposed, look how high up those guys are. It would be logical to add armour to protect him. Something that is lost on USA equipment.

Thats the older version.  The newer version- that the large buy of Strykers has been deferred to make way for- has overhead weapon systems for one .50 at the commanders hatch, and one 40mm and one GMPG at the waist hatches.  The .50 has internal reloading, but can only be fired closed hatch, the .30 and the 40mm have external ammo but can be fired while standing out of the hatch as well as closed up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top