BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/21/2017 7:32:03 PM EDT
I think it's cheating...

Can't drive a car/truck, but equipment is ok?

Picture from a truck forum I'm on. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Snitches get stitches
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#2]
That's the Amish Mafia.  They aren't going to use that machine, they stole it and are just going to sell it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends. Every community is allowed to make a decision on what technology they feel benefits the collective WITHOUT taking away from their Divine, communal, and/or familial relationships.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe they own a cargo transportation business.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Snitches get stitches
View Quote
You could probably black mail the guys with the picture, and get at least 3-4 end tables made for free. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Snitches get stitches
View Quote
Pretty sure that they use it to bury people who snitch on them.  ETA, or people who take their picture!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#7]
The Amish I knew in Kentucky we're allowed to utilize modern machinery if working on the property of non-Amish. In fact, the one's I knew we're damned skilled with it. As long as they were making money for the church, they were GTG.
Couldn't use it in their own place, though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#8]
IMO, which does not count for much, they should not be allowed to use that.   However they may be bartering, or wheeling and dealing with it, so who knows.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe it doesn't run and they're just towing it into place for use as a shade tree? 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't understand the Amish one bit, but I can't help but respect the hell out of their commitment.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You could probably black mail the guys with the picture, and get at least 3-4 end tables made for free. 
View Quote
Hoping for one of those amish heater things
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#12]
why do people want 3-400 HP in their trucks for towing when it's obvious by that picture that 1HP will do?  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Amish groups all do it their own way. There are horse and buggy types and bicycle types. Used to see Amish guy sitting in a phone booth in front of his cabinet shop. He could use the phone,just couldn't have the wires going into his place. Some can have a refrigerator but no light in it. Those guys in the pic may be contracted to move the backhoe for a Mennonite buddy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#15]
It's up to the grand poobah of their church/sect/group. But, generally not allowed in the home. Many have cell phones in a box up by their mailbox, electricity and machines in their business, stuff like that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#16]
You'd be surprised how many farms have a gennie hidden away in a barn running.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Amish groups all do it their own way. There are horse and buggy types and bicycle types. Used to see Amish guy sitting in a phone booth in front of his cabinet shop. He could use the phone,just couldn't have the wires going into his place. Some can have a refrigerator but no light in it. Those guys in the pic may be contracted to move the backhoe for a Mennonite buddy.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I was amused by one internet ad I saw promoting a Pennsylvania stock broker who specializes in Amish clients.

How are they going to see that ad?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Whatever their bishop allows.
Have local Mennonites that use tractors IF no rubber tires.
Others pull the wheels off and use the PTO to power equipment.
They tow the wheelless tractor around with a team of draft horses.

LOL one of my sons was picking up a load of produce from them last week and said MJ hung heavy in the air.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#20]
When SHTF the Amish are going to be laughing at us English.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Basically make up whatever "rules" are convenient.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think it's cheating...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/251314/1AACCCCF-46AF-48F4-820C-83635882D258-192-0000001B0E13CEEE-286766.jpg

View Quote

I don't see them using any equipment.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
why do people want 3-400 HP in their trucks for towing when it's obvious by that picture that 1HP will do?  
View Quote
Because it's hard to put LED bars on a horse, and when you are riding the wind blows off your flat brim hat.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gotta throw in a blueberry pie to make the deal happen.  The Amish in Southern Maryland that I bought firewood from used a sawmill powered by an old truck.  The mill consisted of a belt-driven blade, using a tireless wheel of the truck to drive the belt.  Looked pretty sketchy and dangerous, but it didn't seem to bother them at all.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#25]
In my area women can run gas powered equipment but the men can't.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I think he's a jack ass for making one horse pull that load.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The Amish I knew in Kentucky we're allowed to utilize modern machinery if working on the property of non-Amish. In fact, the one's I knew we're damned skilled with it. As long as they were making money for the church, they were GTG.
Couldn't use it in their own place, though.
View Quote
This, I learned it by watching the Vanilla Ice show.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think it's cheating...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/251314/1AACCCCF-46AF-48F4-820C-83635882D258-192-0000001B0E13CEEE-286766.jpg

View Quote
That would get damn interesting if they start going down a long steep grade.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#29]
They can't own it,  but they can use it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
IMO, which does not count for much, they should not be allowed to use that.   However they may be bartering, or wheeling and dealing with it, so who knows.
View Quote
Out of curiosity, what's your opinion based on?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#31]
They may be Mennonites. They will drive the heck out of tractors and equipment. They put little kids to work driving tractors with lemo tent so you can't see inside.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You'd be surprised how many farms have a gennie hidden away in a barn running.
View Quote
A pto driven genny driven by a newish JD tractor with metal wheels and no tires.

Not connected to the grid/outside world so it's ok.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I just wanna know how the hell they work the brakes on that trailer. That's a lot of weight for one horse to stop!  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Amish no different than you or me, they will do what they want

here in my area we have Menenites (sp) they are like Amish and sell their wares as "Amish built" but they own vehicles and I have seen them with cell phones and ear buds.
like another poster said,  they use modern things mostly for making money, there is a farm not far from me where they have tractors and a combine as well as many horses and wagons.
the local "Amish built" sheds are definately built using modern saws and air nailers.

I don't think anthing is as it used to be
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I own a coal stove that was built by the Amish. I picked it up from the factory. They had no electricity in the building but ran fork lifts and welders to make the stoves and move them. My stove weighs 600 pounds empty.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#36]
they only do it for commercial work to be competitive.

any private, personal work is usually done by hand.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Amish no different than you or me, they will do what they want

here in my area we have Menenites (sp) they are like Amish and sell their wares as "Amish built" but they own vehicles and I have seen them with cell phones and ear buds.
like another poster said,  they use modern things mostly for making money, there is a farm not far from me where they have tractors and a combine as well as many horses and wagons.
the local "Amish built" sheds are definately built using modern saws and air nailers.

I don't think anthing is as it used to be
View Quote
Mennonites
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Pretty sure that they use it to bury people who snitch on them.  ETA, or people who take their picture!
View Quote
Shovels used to be good enough for that, but they had to move to industrial scale when the rate of snitching got out of hand.

It'll be back down to more manageable numbers, soon.....
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#39]
We had our cabinets in our new house built buy the Amish.   They had a full showroom of their cabinets, and took me into their shop.  It was all run with Cummins 6BT running a generator, and some other sheaves and pulleys to drive saws, dust vacuums, etc.  They brought the cabinets to us on a nice 20' enclosed gooseneck trailer (looked like a race car hauler) pulled by a brand new F-350 diesel.

I asked them about it and they said that was all ok for their business.  But once they are "off the clock" so to speak they do without all of the modern conveniences, farm with horses, no electricity, etc.  They have a cell phone for business use too.   These guys did all wear the fairly typical clothing and had proper beards, but just used the modern conveniences for their business.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Some use power carts to run certain types of farm equipment

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Their are a lot of amish that are in the same business as me and when we go to conventions you see them all on cell phones and Ipads.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#42]
They are more traditional around here but some things are still surprising. They kept getting hit by cars so now they have battery powered LED tail lights on their buggies. Amish dairy farms can use electricity for refrigeration and other equipment but it has to be from a generator. Some even have LED headlamps to work during winter evenings.

Overall, they still live hard working lives and are far from modernized, so they have my respect. I understand there are scum individuals in every group but I don't understand how so many people hate the amish so passionately.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I saw built Amish cabins and sheds for sale on my last trip up north. how do they get them to the lot? or do they just build them there?

there are some Amish in Buffalo, they bought some land near downtown and turned it into a communal farm, teach some of the city kids how to farm stuff. The Amish there wear the old school garb, but no idea if they use any tech. I did buy some amish jam at a stand.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Mennonites maybe?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#45]
I know of an amish family that won't drive cars, but they own a large fishing boat thats docked on lake Erie. I know their driver. He also drives them out west for a week to hunt elk, using modern bows, range finders, binos...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#46]
I live in an area surrounded by Amish communities. Every church has its own rules but most allow the use of tractors as a mode of conveyance. Some churches don't allow tractors with cabs, others don't allow anything over 100 hp. From the outside it all appears very arbitrary but I can't complain as many are good customers of mine.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I saw built Amish cabins and sheds for sale on my last trip up north. how do they get them to the lot? or do they just build them there?
View Quote
Probably have some non-Amish employees for vehicle ownership and delivering, or have a rule exception for the business. It could even be a middle man that does selling and transporting.

I love springtime when Amish gets teams of horses together for field work. It's like taking a time travel to the 1800's.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#48]
No rubber on the tires, phones in a box.  Do they pretty much just make shit up on the fly?

(No offense to any members here who are Amish)
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Snitches get stitches
View Quote
...get riches
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Beat me to it

Muh ecopoop
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top