Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/30/2006 3:37:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/30/2006 3:38:37 PM EST by 1911greg]
I was watching the cop video and I realize the throat is effective but isn't there a pretty big risk of doing some serious damage?

las vegas cop
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:38:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/30/2006 3:38:38 PM EST by enigma2y0u]
I am not worried about my hand at all.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:39:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By enigma2y0u:

LOL, what about for PD's that get sued every day?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:39:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By 1911greg:
I was watching the cop video and I realize the throat is effective but isn't there a pretty big risk of doing some serious damage?

las vegas cop

Yes, when going for an area like the throat you can do serious damage...which is why a lot of officers are trained in ways to go for the throat that minimize that risk.

As a normal citizen, don't go for the throat except if you feel you are at risk of death or grave bodily harm.

If you are, then tear the mother lover's throat clean out and feel good about it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:42:59 PM EST
I remember a blood choke and a air choke or something like that, isn't blood the outside of the neck, whereas air is grabbing just the wind pipe?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:45:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By enigma2y0u:

LOL, what about for PD's that get sued every day?

Heck I don't know. I have never done it, and I guess that is in part cause I have only been in a couple pushing matches. That thought always freaks me out though cause if some crazy does thoat damage to me, that is bad.

However, I did tell my wife to stab in the throat if she has to stab. I think there is a good mental and physical effect there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:45:46 PM EST
speaking from experience, its very effective in stopping a threat, but not quite as immeadiatly as an eye gouge or boot tip to the nutsack,

with the neck hold, it takes a bit for them to go out depending on how good a grip you get, if your knees in their back or they're punching you and trying to gouge out your eyes, and with a sleeper type hold, you take the risk of breaking their neck very easily.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:47:53 PM EST
That video demonstrated a take down, not a choke hold or a move intended on crushing a wind pipe. There are also very effective pressure points under the jaw in the front. It has nothing to do with depriving the brain of oxygen.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:48:59 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:50:13 PM EST
That is still a good video.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:56:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/30/2006 3:57:27 PM EST by dropbass]
last time someone grabbed me by the throat like that I broke their arm just as quick as they grabbed my neck.

Rather than grabbing the cops arm, which is a natural reaction, he should have grabbed the cops hand on his throat, with a firm hold, so the cop could not let go, and with all his might punch the cop full force in the elbow. With he cops hand braced against his neck, pop goes the arm and a fracture occurs. Total dislocation at the elbow joint.

Granted, this must be done just as fast as the cop grabbed the dudes neck, but it will work everytime. I will never grab someone by the throat because in my opinion, if they know how to fight, it can put you at a disadvantage real quick.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:57:40 PM EST
The most effective way to kill an attacker with your bare hand is by thrusting the thumb into the eye and ripping out as much brain matter as possible.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:03:33 PM EST
Thing that stood out to me is the lack of reaction by the guy being taken down. Doesn't even raise his hands.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:03:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By 20iner:
The most effective way to kill an attacker with your bare hand is by thrusting the thumb into the eye and ripping out as much brain matter as possible.

Uh, yeah. Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:05:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By Interceptor_Knight:
That video demonstrated a take down, not a choke hold or a move intended on crushing a wind pipe. There are also very effective pressure points under the jaw in the front. It has nothing to do with depriving the brain of oxygen.

+1

Just a take down move. Throwing the opponent off balance with one hand. Low risk of serious injury if done correctly. Like in the video.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:06:02 PM EST
anymore the best way in my opinion to fend of an attacker is stay your distance. When you absolutely feel threatened...and can no longer maintain your distance, DRAW DOWN....
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:06:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By Sturmgewehr-58:

You think I am joking?

It is a martial arts technique. It is very hard for one human to do with another, so they condition themselves to the repulsion by practicing with an orange held to someone's eye. The simulated event is very stressful and repulsing to even the most expirenced martial artist.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:07:40 PM EST

Originally Posted By ErinMT:
Thing that stood out to me is the lack of reaction by the guy being taken down. Doesn't even raise his hands.

drunk!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:08:20 PM EST

gotcha but on the choke subject could someone refresh my memory.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:09:35 PM EST

Why do some of these people open their mouthes?

Just a word to 20incher, or a question actually. Can you stick your thumb through bone in the back of the eye socket?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:12:58 PM EST
that cop doesnt fuck around!

from his stand point, that is an effective method, he might just have to worry about the guys head splitting open on the ground

and... i love when the arm-chair commandos come out of the woodwork
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:13:39 PM EST

Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner! That takedown demonstrated in the video was NOT designed to even touch the windpipe much less restrict oxygen flow. What he did was place his thumb and index fingers on the masster of the lower jaw (the 'angle' of the jaw), and force his hand up and back. It exerts quite a bit of pain and forces the head back. Done fast enough it will take down even the biggest of men... ..Not everything you see is as it appears....
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:13:56 PM EST

You think I am joking?

It is a martial arts technique. It is very hard for one human to do with another, so they condition themselves to the repulsion by practicing with an orange held to someone's eye. The simulated event is very stressful and repulsing to even the most expirenced martial artist.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:15:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:

Just a word to 20incher, or a question actually. Can you stick your thumb through bone in the back of the eye socket?

I believe that the thumb can reach to the lateral geniculate nucleus through the optic tract.

If this is incorrect, please forgive, it is only what I read in the book On Killing
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:16:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By ChrisLe:

Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner! That takedown demonstrated in the video was NOT designed to even touch the windpipe much less restrict oxygen flow. What he did was place his thumb and index fingers on the masster of the lower jaw (the 'angle' of the jaw), and force his hand up and back. It exerts quite a bit of pain and forces the head back. Done fast enough it will take down even the biggest of men... ..Not everything you see is as it appears....

chris, from the video it looks like he went for the bottom of the throat? was I mistaken?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:16:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By roboman:

You think I am joking?

If reading a book about killing makes me a troll, then please give me your first born or billy goat, please.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:18:26 PM EST

lets see you put your thumb through that bone
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:22:59 PM EST

chris, from the video it looks like he went for the bottom of the throat? was I mistaken?

Initially, yes, that's what it looks like. But look at where his index finger is rather than where the whole hand is.. The whole point of the move (when executed properly) is to put pressure on the angle of the lower jaw forcing the head back. Try it on yourself and see. That said, its hard to execute it perfectly.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:27:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By Gibsonn:
www.gwc.maricopa.edu/class/bio201/skull/skul2.jpg

So the author and those martial artists were wrong. Thanks Mr. Snide.

You are correct. How may I ever repay you for setting me straight?

Thanks again Champ!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:28:02 PM EST

I believe that the thumb can reach to the lateral geniculate nucleus through the optic tract.

If this is incorrect, please forgive, it is only what I read in the book On Killing
I've read books that say you can acheive a lifetime in heaven by humping a chicken. Doesn't make it true. However, spending 6 years as an EMT and 8 as a firefighter I've seen some ocular injuries and penetrations. Bullets and Ice picks are the only 2 things I've seen punch through that bone. I've seen plenty of knives not do it. A knife point has a greater psi at the contact point than your thumb ever will
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:40:54 PM EST

Bone? Oranges don't have bones!

It is very hard for one human to do with another, so they condition themselves to the repulsion by practicing with an orange held to someone's eye.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:49:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By dropbass:
last time someone grabbed me by the throat like that I broke their arm just as quick as they grabbed my neck.

Rather than grabbing the cops arm, which is a natural reaction, he should have grabbed the cops hand on his throat, with a firm hold, so the cop could not let go, and with all his might punch the cop full force in the elbow. With he cops hand braced against his neck, pop goes the arm and a fracture occurs. Total dislocation at the elbow joint.

Granted, this must be done just as fast as the cop grabbed the dudes neck, but it will work everytime. I will never grab someone by the throat because in my opinion, if they know how to fight, it can put you at a disadvantage real quick.

Would not have worked for that kid. The cop was smart about what he did. You can see the kid is not ready to react to anything. The cop started to say a sentence and in the middle of it made his move. While the kid's brain is still busy processing the sentence, the cop is doing the damage. By the time the kid realizes, it's too late.

There is no way in hell the kid could have responded in time, even if he knew your move that "works everytime." The cop had him beat mentally before he got physical.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:52:34 PM EST

Bone? Oranges don't have bones!

It is very hard for one human to do with another, so they condition themselves to the repulsion by practicing with an orange held to someone's eye.

Jesus fucking christ people, how many times do I have to say it before I quit getting shit flung my way?

I read it in a book. I already noted that if it is incorrect, then disreguard.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:58:20 PM EST
Just a take down, no choking involved really. I prefer to grab the face. Less chance of crushing things he might need to breathe.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:03:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/30/2006 5:05:19 PM EST by dropbass]

Originally Posted By N_Viejo:

Would not have worked for that kid. The cop was smart about what he did. You can see the kid is not ready to react to anything. The cop started to say a sentence and in the middle of it made his move. While the kid's brain is still busy processing the sentence, the cop is doing the damage. By the time the kid realizes, it's too late.

There is no way in hell the kid could have responded in time, even if he knew your move that "works everytime." The cop had him beat mentally before he got physical.

kid let the guy get to close. And your right about the hands. If someone is within grabbing distance and are lowering their hands and rasing them, that to me constitues a threat. I am already watching for it. Kid never saw it coming

what the cop did is almost the same as one of the easiest ways to sucker punch/catch a person off guard....that is by walking up hands raised, then lower hands and arms in a "whats up" gesture and then quickly throw a full force punch mid sentence.

But atleast can work for some. Id try it before eyeballs and oranges
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:04:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/30/2006 5:05:18 PM EST by Gibsonn]

Originally Posted By Gibsonn:
www.gwc.maricopa.edu/class/bio201/skull/skul2.jpg

So the author and those martial artists were wrong. Thanks Mr. Snide.

You are correct. How may I ever repay you for setting me straight?

Thanks again Champ!

Oh wow book uh, well dang since it was written in a book it must be true. Lets see book that tells you to practice with oranges, which by the way doesnt have anywhere near the consistancy of bone. A book There is a picture of bone right there, now show me some sort of proof that a man can jab his thumb in a mans skull through is eye, break through the sphenoid bone, dig into a mans brain and pull grey matter back out with it. Now also keep in mind the average length of a human thumb is 2 inches, Now the average depth of a eye is 25mm (.9 inches) the depth of the sphenoid bone is .5-.7 inches. Now thats about 1.6 there, include all other spaces figure about 2 inches or greater. Now if you would look at the image below you will see that the brain does not directly sit behing the sphenoid bone so yeah that gonna add a probably at least a .3-.5 inch. SO we ar taking 2.-2.5 at least. Distance between eye and brain > Thumb Length.

But it was in a book so it must be true.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:11:29 PM EST

I remember a blood choke and a air choke or something like that, isn't blood the outside of the neck, whereas air is grabbing just the wind pipe?

Blood choke or blood press is outside.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:19:58 PM EST

Exactly, the threat's OODA loop was definately infiltrated.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:26:40 PM EST
I saw it and thought damn that was a sweet take down. But after watching it a few times I noticed the guy didn;t even flinch as the officers hand is coming towards him.

Dude is so fing drunk.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:38:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

las vegas cop

Yes, when going for an area like the throat you can do serious damage...which is why a lot of officers are trained in ways to go for the throat that minimize that risk.

As a normal citizen, don't go for the throat except if you feel you are at risk of death or grave bodily harm.

If you are, then tear the mother lover's throat clean out and feel good about it.

We had a professor at our last convention who told me a story about an officer, also a fellow student, who was in a wrestling match with a subject. He was able to get Hadaka Jime San (rear naked choke) on the bad guy. The subject went unconcious and later died. Something about having too many drugs in his system that when he went unconcious his brain never told him to start breathing again.

Even when a person is choked correctly (the subjects trachae was un-touched) there may still be harm done.

How would a police officer be specially trained to go for the throat without hurting the subject? All the chokes we train for are designed to hurt. We do have moves that attack the nek and its pressure points.....is this what you mean?

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:44:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/30/2006 5:44:30 PM EST by HoodyHoo21]

Dropbass,

You are correct. However, I like to think that if the kid had his hands not in his pockets he would have done something diffrent.

N_Viejo,

People can be a lot faster than you think. We do many techniques to avoid chokes and you would be suprised about how badly that cop could have been hurt if it was somebody who knew how to fight. I do believe that he knew what he was up against though......
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:49:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By roboman:

You think I am joking?

+1 on the troll.

You go for the eyes to blind, not to kill by finger fucking their skull
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:51:04 PM EST
one thing about drunk or high people-

choke outs work MUCH faster than on people who arent jacked up.

i dont know why, but i know it works.

the cop did right in my opinion
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:00:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By HoodyHoo21:

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

las vegas cop

We had a professor at our last convention who told me a story about an officer, also a fellow student, who was in a wrestling match with a subject. He was able to get Hadaka Jime San (rear naked choke) on the bad guy. The subject went unconcious and later died. Something about having too many drugs in his system that when he went unconcious his brain never told him to start breathing again.

Even when a person is choked correctly (the subjects trachae was un-touched) there may still be harm done.

How would a police officer be specially trained to go for the throat without hurting the subject? All the chokes we train for are designed to hurt. We do have moves that attack the nek and its pressure points.....is this what you mean?

Good to know. I once blacked my brother out by pinching the front and back of his neck with my thumbs and index fingers when he was getting out of hand.
I thought it would be the easiest way to incapacitate without damage.
Now I know better.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:04:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/30/2006 6:05:41 PM EST by Gator]
Is it just me or was he just showboating for the camera?

"Ahh yeah, looks like he's all amped up"
Besides not taking his L hand out of his pocket, he seemed pretty calm to me.

My guess is that it has to be risky, if you are off by an inch you might break a windpipe pulling that shit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:58:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By Gator:
Is it just me or was he just showboating for the camera?

"Ahh yeah, looks like he's all amped up"
Besides not taking his L hand out of his pocket, he seemed pretty calm to me.

My guess is that it has to be risky, if you are off by an inch you might break a windpipe pulling that shit.

And what could a person possibly have in their pockets that would make a cop nervous? Come one, this is a GUN board with a KNIFE section as well.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:35:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/30/2006 9:38:15 PM EST by Painter]
Well, at least he got out of the car to take him down. . . .

Takedown- Texas style
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:00:08 AM EST
Much crap has been printed and made its way onto the big and small screen regarding martial arts. As cool as it may sound and appear to some, there is much myth being perpetuated. The killing by driving a person's nose bones into their skull and the killing by sticking your thumbs into their eyes is pure myth for practical purposes.
Granted, you do not have to kill someone to incapacitate them as a threat.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:03:45 AM EST

+1
That is different than striking into the front of the throat. That is a great move.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:15:05 AM EST

Are you talking about the book by Dave Grossman? I don't remember anything about removing brain matter through the eye socket. This book was about the psychological effects of killing, not actual killing techniques. I saw a guy who was shot in the eye and live because the bullet did not penetrate the bone protecting the brain.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:15:20 AM EST

Initially, yes, that's what it looks like. But look at where his index finger is rather than where the whole hand is.. The whole point of the move (when executed properly) is to put pressure on the angle of the lower jaw forcing the head back. Try it on yourself and see. That said, its hard to execute it perfectly.

Even if you don't get the move exactly right, an action like the one the officer took is likely to succeed. The drunken fighter "dude!" didn't see it coming.

Another good reason not to let people you don't know get too close to you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top