Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/21/2005 7:16:03 AM EDT
Below sea level like NO? Are there oil rigs offshore near TX like the ones in LA? If the power goes out in Houston will the refineries shut down? This storm looks like it'll be a category 5 by landfall if it keeps strengthening the way it does.

Could this one be worse than the last?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:17:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 7:17:57 AM EDT by Ring]
no, they fixed that last time.. the hole city got raised 20ft + they added a huge sea wall off shore
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:34:47 AM EDT
Storm should weaken before it hits land. Might only be a Cat 2 if we are lucky.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:38:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:39:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By brouhaha:

Originally Posted By michaelj1978:
Below sea level like NO?

Where do people keep getting this idea?

How can you have a barrier island that's lower than sea level without levees all around it?

Simple: Read my sigline.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:41:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 10:44:23 AM EDT by Charging_Handle]

Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:
Storm should weaken before it hits land. Might only be a Cat 2 if we are lucky.

I wish that were the case, but it appears very unlikely. There's nothing there to weaken it. About the only thing that can weaken these things are:

1. Cooler waters (the waters vary from 86-90 degrees over the whole Gulf)
2. Wind shear (the wind patterns are perfect for development)
3. Dry air entrainment (the air over the whole area is very warm and moist

I think it will alternate between Cat 4 and Cat 5 status until it makes landfall. There's just nothing out there to significantly weaken it.

BTW, this one won't be like Katrina. That was a unique situation. This one could be on the order of Andrew. But the main threat with this one will be the wind damage alone, not an entire city being 20 ft under water. Galveston and parts of Houston will take on some water, but not to that degree. Survive the winds and initial storm surge and you're likely gonna be ok.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:43:45 AM EDT
No Galveston is a Island with a decent seawall protecting it. In a Cat 4/5 they are f'ed no matter what.
If its a direct hit that whole area from Sea Rim State park through High Island /Galveston is a goner. The Bay town tunnel will flood and the Sky WILL fall. It will NOT be pretty

PG
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:44:50 AM EDT

Below sea level like NO?

How can you have a barrier island that's lower than sea level without levees all around it?

It's not below sea level. After the storm of 1900, they built a 15 foot sea wall which stops up to a 12 ft or so surge and helps break up 15 foot plus surges.

The surge in 1900 put 10 feet of water on the highest part of the island.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:52:46 AM EDT

Below sea level like NO?

...because of the reporting of the previous hurricane that crushed Galveston.

I'm pretty sure I heard it was below sea level then on the news. Right or wrong, it's what is being said.

I don't have a reason to go to Galveston, so I wouldn't be able to call them on it based on firsthand knowledge.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:53:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 4:04:09 PM EDT by JohnTheTexican]

Originally Posted By Ring:
no, they fixed that last time.. the hole city got raised 20ft + they added a huge sea wall off shore

Actually, the seawall runs between the developed part of the island and the beach. There's a road that runs on top of it (called Seawall Blvd.), and the landward side is lined with hotels, restaurants, bars, etc. It looks something like this:

Here's what it looks like from the Gulf:

The building is the Hotel Galvez, which was built after the 1900 storm. The granite blocks in the foreground are a jetty.

The top of the seawall is just over 17 feet above sea level. Everything behind the wall slopes down into the bay behind the island, so whatever comes over the seawall eventually runs off the other side of the island.

But the seawall only runs for seven miles. If you keep going south after the seawall ends, you'll see lots of palacial beach houses that don't have any protection from the storm surge other than the stilts they're built on.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:55:16 AM EDT

Seawall and Grade Raising:

To prevent such a natural disaster from devastating the island in such magnitude again, the city built a seawall seven miles long and 17 feet high and began a tremendous grade raising project. Galveston's Seawall now extends 54,790 feet, one-third of Galveston's ocean front. Total cost was $14,497,399.

It stands 16 to 20 feet wide at the base and at the top ranges from three to five feet in width and is composed of granite, sandstone or concrete apron from 27 to 40 feet. Many structures were jacked up during the grade raising while dredges poured four to six feet of sand beneath them; in others (such as Ashton Villa) the fill was pumped into the raised basements. Residents used elevated wooden sidewalks to walk through town. The grade raising project began in 1902 and was completed in 1910 and included 500 city blocks.

From Galveston.com.......
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:05:45 AM EDT

Are there oil rigs offshore near TX like the ones in LA?

Lots of them. You can see some of them from the beach in Galveston.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:48:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SHIVAN:
...because of the reporting of the previous hurricane that crushed Galveston.

I'm pretty sure I heard it was below sea level then on the news. Right or wrong, it's what is being said.

I don't have a reason to go to Galveston, so I wouldn't be able to call them on it based on firsthand knowledge.

I've heard them say that on the news before, I've heard alot of crap. I hope it doesn't hit us that bad, I don't want to lose my house
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:48:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:05:40 PM EDT

That's because a storm surge passed OVER the island and the people had zero warning.

It's never been below sea level. It's a frickin island.

Know when I knew Galveston was an island? When I wanted to google the pics of the 1900 storm.

Galveston might be big in Texas but, for a Virginia boy, it's not really a household conversation piece.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:21:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By propguy:
No Galveston is a Island with a decent seawall protecting it. In a Cat 4/5 they are f'ed no matter what.
If its a direct hit that whole area from Sea Rim State park through High Island /Galveston is a goner. The Bay town tunnel will flood and the Sky WILL fall. It will NOT be pretty

PG

The Baytown tunnel has been closed for years. Dug up and sold to the Japanese maybe.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:37:17 PM EDT
Katrina moved a 15' wall of water towards NO. Mississippi got a 30' wall of water. What do the models show for how high the surge will be?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:37:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JohnTheTexican:
But the seawall only runs for seven miles. If you keep going south after the seawall ends, you'll see lots of palacial beach houses that don't have any protection from the storm surge other than the stilts they're built on.

RealLife© testing! I bet the designers/builders of those custom houses are going to want to go down there as soon as they can to see how they stood up to the hurricane.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:22:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By passgas55:
Katrina moved a 15' wall of water towards NO. Mississippi got a 30' wall of water. What do the models show for how high the surge will be?

Billingsley on Channel 13(I think) is predicting 19+ for Galveston. However, if the bitch moves a bit North, he says 25ft+
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:47:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rippler:

Originally Posted By propguy:

PG

The Baytown tunnel has been closed for years. Dug up and sold to the Japanese maybe.

Thats a good thing right now it . Hunker down kids
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:36:41 PM EDT
Holy Shit....!

Leaves have fallen in my pool!

Oh the Humanity....

Steady winds of at least 10 mph!

How much more can a man take!?!?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:48:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By COZ_45:
Holy Shit....!

Leaves have fallen in my pool!

Oh the Humanity....