Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/2/2006 8:12:32 AM EDT
As DK Prof's country found out rather quickly freedom of speech is not valued by islam to the enxtent it is in most EU countries. However they do understand economics and their boycott was effective enough to get an apology from the newspapers. Now the German papers are running the same "offensive" cartoons and EU citizens in Palestine are being threatened directly.

I have some mixed emotions about the boycott, whereas I admire it in the sense that it has some relation to our tea party, I'm also bothered that their society so overwhelmingly adopted it, IOW that they seem to have acted as one. Whether it was through social coercion or heart-felt beliefs makes little difference. Maybe I envy them a little their single-mindedness but what's obvious is that the stakes have to be higher here in the US and the EU, for that matter to even get a concensus, let alone an overwhelming one that could make a boycott effective. I don't recall the French crying "uncle" over any boycott we may have threatened over their backing out of UN committments regarding Iraq.

The game is subtle. The US, the EU and Israel (as holder of Palestinian revenues) have all talked about withholding aid to Palestine unless Hamas changes it's tune on Israel and terrorism. Meanwhile Saudi Arabia and Qatar (home of Al Jazeera) are footing the bill for Palestinian payroll maintenance. Behind the scenes I guess we must assume the Saudis are doing some arm-twisting for us but really, what assurances do we ever have that this is having any effect, after all, most of the 9-11 guys came from SA, so they obviously have their own agenda with it's peculiar problems and priorities.

One thing's for sure, we can't boycott oil, even if we thought it would have an effect on the situation. Maybe we should close our borders to the Arab world, no more immigration, no more education in our universities, but then wouldn't that cause them to want to play games with oil supplies in retaliation?

It seems perfectly logical for Iran to want nuclear power so they can save their valuable oil for export and higher economic uses. Are we too stupid not to see the same thing for us, that nuclear is cheap and dependence on foreign oil is worse than the problem of waste disposal.

Exporting democracy is a good thing but putting all your eggs in one basket is pretty dumb. Alternative energy is a national priority for us and the EU/Japan. We are dealing from a weak hand unless we are ready and willing to use force to secure oil and that will make it quite a bit more expensive than $100 a barrel. We've already fought one war that showed us the wrong-headedness of blood for oil (WWII and Japan).
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:14:49 AM EDT

Are we too stupid not to see the same thing for us, that nuclear is cheap and dependence on foreign oil is worse than the problem of waste disposal.

Nuclear power is too scary....
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:21:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By nightstalker:

........................ Maybe we should close our borders to the Arab world, .......................

Please, this is in no way making light of your thoughtful post. It's just the phrase "close our borders" struck me as humorous- not sure why?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:22:34 AM EDT

Are we too stupid not to see the same thing for us, that nuclear is cheap and dependence on foreign oil is worse than the problem of waste disposal.

why yes, yes we are. mention nuke power and people, not just tree huggers, go apoplectic, fall to the ground, start frothing at the mouth and moan, "three mile island...chernobyl..."
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:26:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By callgood:

Originally Posted By nightstalker:

........................ Maybe we should close our borders to the Arab world, .......................

Please, this is in no way making light of your thoughtful post. It's just the phrase "close our borders" struck me as humorous- not sure why?

You'll find no bigger fan or irony than myself.
Top Top