Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2009 9:43:47 AM EST
Isaiah 17:1
KJV......"The burden of Damascus. Behold, Damascus is taken away from being a city, and it shall be a ruinous heap"

Since Damascus (Syria) has never, to this day, been distroyed from being a city and became a ruinous heap.........what do you think this means??

Do you feel it is a prophecy of a future event for this city?

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:49:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/1/2009 12:22:44 PM EST by SAE]
I think I need to study this further before I can fully understand what is taking place here and give a detailed opinion, however it does look to be a might compelling study about this destruction that comes not only on what appears to be modern day Syria, but also a remnant which seems come out of her called ''Aram'', which appears to be under God's protection and blessing.

Maybe christian or Jewish remnant?

It also looks as if Jacob,(a portion of the Israeli people) are also going to be destroyed which does line up with other Scripture pertaining to the overrunning of northern Israel and ending in Jerusalem through a massive offensive, with foreign troops attacking all along a broad front, all across Israel, ending in Jerusalem by Gog and Magog (russia), and at least five other armies from around the middle east region and also german armed forces with others (the kings of the east), China, to follow. which will be the last invading force which will also be to their demise and ultimate decimation.

Could be possibly a tactical nuclear strike directly on Damascus in retaliation from Israeli air force jets or maybe even God's direct intervention in a simular fashon like at Sodom and Gemmorah and other places.

Interesting.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 12:10:26 PM EST
My feeling, if in fact Damascus has been standing ever since that prophecy (which I think is correct), is that the prophecy may be fulfilled in the future. Most likely by Israel, if Syria doesn't clean up their act.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:05:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2009 8:06:37 AM EST by AR10-A2]
Hello sister junbuggg,

One translation I have is:

"Lo! Damascus is removed from her place among the cities,
And will become a heap of ruins, deserted forever."

At the end of verse 3 it says:

'Is the oracle of the LORD of hosts'., meaning of course it is a direct quote from God Himself.

So yes, it will absolutely happen in the future, no question in my mind.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:26:12 PM EST
Unless I'm mistaken, Damascus was conquered and much of its inhabitants carried off prisoner by Tiglath-pileser sometime around 733 B.C. (much of northern Israel was ravaged at the time as well). It was rebuilt and the Greeks then conquered it later, followed by the Romans.

Of course, many of Isaiah's prophecies could be interpreted to mean both near and far reaching incidents. So the fact that Damascus was effectively destroyed once doesn't mean that the prophecy is done yet.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:26:02 AM EST
Originally Posted By Junbuggg:
KJV......"The burden of Damascus. Behold, Damascus is taken away from being a city, and it shall be a ruinous heap"

Since Damascus (Syria) has never, to this day, been distroyed from being a city and became a ruinous heap.........what do you think this means??

Yes. I do think it's prophetic in nature. Sounds like Damascus is a candidate for catching an atomic suppository from Israel at some point, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:23:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By JamesP81:
Originally Posted By Junbuggg:

Yes. I do think it's prophetic in nature. Sounds like Damascus is a candidate for catching an atomic suppository from Israel at some point, IMO.

I think this as you do, but the other day I saw some show on t.v. (can't remember the name) but it was showing a huge fault line that runs through that area. When you think of an earthquake, you think of things being left in a "ruinous heap". Whatever it is, I do believe it will be at the divine hand of God.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 1:13:13 PM EST
From the haydock Bible Commentary

Ver. 1. Damascus. When it was taken by Theglathphalassar, or rather by Sennacherib, chap. x. 8. It was again ruined by Nabuchodonosor, Jeremias xlix. 24. But after the first taking, it never regained its power. Magni nominis umbra. (Calmet)
Top Top