User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2002 1:20:44 PM EDT
[url]http://www.wweek.com/flatfiles/News3485.lasso[/url]

What do you think?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
This is old news. As soon as you drag your trash out to the curb, it is considered fair game. This is accepted practice all over the country. Beware.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't read the link, but, garbage on the treelawn is considered abandoned property. It is fair game for the police and scavangers....
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#5]
This ain't nothing new.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy a paper shredder. It's worth the $100.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#7]
First, get a shredder.  I did after someone got hold of one of my credit card numbers.

Second, off subject, I find it ironic that someone who poses for a biker mag with almost nothing on would then cry 'sexual harrassment'.  I am not using the old 'she asked for it' argument used against rape victims, as sexual harrassment is a far cry from rape and is very subjective.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#8]
There is no reasonable expectation of privacy for Garbage put at the curb, the street, sidewalk, or a communal dumpster. However if the homeowner has a fenced enclosure for his garbage, he has a resonable expectation of privacy, until it's removed from that enclosure.

Garbage cans at the street are not "abondoned property". Abandoned property is the suspect saying "No officer, thats not my garbage can, i dont know who left it there".
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:22:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh the hypocrisy in my fair city...

It's funny, the paper picked the mayors garbage and she threatens to sue while the police have been picking citizens garbage for the past 30 years.  I hate elitism.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Definately worth the read.

TXLEWIS

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Definately worth the read.

TXLEWIS

View Quote

Yes sir it is! Some crazy hipocritical shit going on there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#12]
so what? you threw it away, would you be pissed if you tossed out your old couch and someone took it home?

if you're dumb enough to throw away potentially encriminating or finacial information then you get what you get. if they wanna dig through trash that could contain used rubbers, hypo needle, rotten ham, bad eggs, i think they earned it. yuck!

but hey, if you want to protect yourself you'll buy a paper shredder and then just shred everything. problem would be mostly solved.

if you're worried about someone tracking your habbits by meens of your garbage then take it to the dump yourself. yet another problem solved.

ian
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like the whore of a mayor they have needs to be booted out of office along with the chief of police.
The DA seems like he has a good sense of humor.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I am going to do a little digging in PA law but I think that my garbage is my garbage until the trash hauler takes it off my property. My trash can is with my trash but if someone steals it they are stealing my property. If I put one of those fat-lady-bending-over pieces of art in my front yard it is in public view and on my property yet no one can take it without me considering it being stolen.

Just because they are doing it doesn't make it right.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Just read that link and it has inspired me... I'm getting my gloves and heading for the mayor's house!
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is old news. As soon as you drag your trash out to the curb, it is considered fair game. This is accepted practice all over the country. Beware.
View Quote

Except in the State of New Jersey, where the mobsters got it made illegal.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:11:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Shred and cut everything.  And, certain "additives."  I would pay admission to watch, especially those with law degrees and high opinions of themselves, sift through USED kitty litter.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:37:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Buy a paper shredder. It's worth the $100.
View Quote

Paper shredder and a fireplace or stove...

Just like Hogs on a farm...

leave nothing behind...

edited for my crappy spelling and my unwillingness to click spell check....

boy am I lazy... [;)]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:00:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

A fireplace or stove...

leave nothing behind...

View Quote

Wood stove works for me. I tear my address off anything that I discard. Then I burn it with the other important stuff.

MM419
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:23:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Once more, with feeling:

Confetti shredder, man, confetti shredder.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:06:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I always shred financial documents, but after reading that, I'll just have to burn all my trash on the sidewalk when I drop it off.

Great article.  I would not have wanted to be the guy wearing the gloves playing with bags of dogshit though.

I'd like to see a follow-up on that story.  I wonder what the mayor is going to do.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#24]
In the "Citizen Academy" I attended earlier this year, the Sgt. doing the class stated that trash at curb is considered "ABANDONED".. He said a lot of PD's will swipe the trash from the curb of a suspect house to help make a case.
We shred everything that comes into the house, except magazine, newspapers.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
...The record that is still standing is ELEVEN pre-approved cards in ONE DAY. I wish there was a way to turn those mothers off as I fear someone getting ahold of my mail and destroying my credit history.
View Quote

There supposedly is a way, in PRK anyway.

look at Civil Code section 1785.11 (d)(1):

[url]http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html[/url]

click the Civil Code box and hit the search button, leaving the terms box blank.
You will get a pretty good index, with links to all the CC sections - you can scroll to the one you want

However keep in mind that you will have to contact each credit-reporting agency.  The major ones: Experian (used to be TRW), Transunion, and I think Equifax is the third.

Also, see 1785.15 (c) about "proper indentification"

They MAY try to pry more detailed information from you than you want to supply.  Personally, I don't like to give them any info that I don't think they already have.  And I like to assert my rights in writing.

This isn't legal advice, just pointing to a place for you to explore.  Check with a lawyer if you have legal questions, though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:34:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Back when I was assigned to the Vice squad I did a lot of "trash pulls". From a cops point of view, trash pulls suck. You get up before the garbage man and spend the rest of the morning going through stinky garbage and logging evidence. After what I have seen of people private lives during trash pulls and search warrants, I am very careful about what I keep in my home and put in my garbage. A shredder has become a way of life at my house. If you don't want your garbage to become fair game, make arriangements with your service provider to pick the cans up from your property. Tell them you are handicapped or in poor health and aren't able to move the cans. Rent the cans that are marked and owned by the service provider as well. Mark the cans to indicate that the contents are only to be handled by the service provider. This may give you an out if you are ever facing evidence from a trash pull. If you are involved in something illegal, don't put the stuff in your trash and don't talk about it on the phone or the internet.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Every bit of paper documents that goes in my trash gets shredded first, with a cross shredder.  Good luck getting much out of it...

Heheheheh MournSword
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Every bit of paper documents that goes in my trash gets shredded first, with a cross shredder.  Good luck getting much out of it...

Heheheheh MournSword
View Quote

You DID register your shredder with the local authorities, didn't you? [;D]

Not that that would put you on a list of "people with something to hide"... [O:)]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top