Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2004 5:18:50 AM EDT
My daughter's school just sent a note home saying purses will not be allowed anymore!  Ummm hmmm, let's see....we all know there is a certain time of the month us girls need to carry one....    Is this happening anywhere else??  For the lack of better terms, political correctness aside..this is a predominately caucasion school in a wealthy city.  I know that doesn't make us "better" or "safer" from weoponry at schools, but, there are some differences.  So, is this becoming a nation wide deal?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:24:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes there is a time of the mth girls need their purses, I have 2 at that age right now. As far as having a purse in school, it can only be in their locker. Same for backpacks and the likes. Afraid they might carry something to class that shouldn't be there I guess.
Oh they can't have jackets on in class either. What a crock of shit, it does get cold in the old school buildings in the winter.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:33:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Why not jus ban pockets right now...you know it will have to happen sooner or later....
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:37:21 AM EDT
[#3]
not up on schools, but the new compact tampons really are smaill and easy to keep in a pocket

FWIW

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:42:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
not up on schools, but the new compact tampons really are smaill and easy to keep in a pocket

FWIW

lol I was going to say OB without the applicator, but I thought the men might freak!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:05:13 AM EDT
[#5]
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:20:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FWIW

lol I was going to say OB without the applicator, but I thought the men might freak!

I can hear the menz running in fear!  BWAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAA!  

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, but she's still afraid of tampons...uses the ever so clunky pads.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:56:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Always pads can usually fit in a pocket. Some schools around here were going to clear backpacks. Glad I have no more kids in the school system.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#9]
This has been going on for a while in some schools.  I went to a... um... troublesome highschool, and we weren't allowed to carry backpacks or purses at all unless they were see-through.  We couldn't even keep them in our lockers.  It didn't help with the maxi-pad dillema, of course.  This was also the beginning of the assinine "no-tolerance" policy, which would be better titled "no-common sense".  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:10:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I was just thinking, this is a privacy issue for girls at that age. If it was me, I would call the school and ask them about this. Explain to them how it is a necessity for girls to carry purses for that time frame. Ask what they would suggest to protect the privacy and save embaressment for these girls.
Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah,my sons school had that NO TOLERANCE policy and some really stupid rules. I was never so glad when he graduated this June. I had really had my fill and so had my son. It is really amazing the stuff they are coming up with.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I was just thinking, this is a privacy issue for girls at that age. If it was me, I would call the school and ask them about this. Explain to them how it is a necessity for girls to carry purses for that time frame. Ask what they would suggest to protect the privacy and save embaressment for these girls.
Just a thought.

It would be a good idea to approach the principal with a compromise ready.  Perhaps girls could be allowed to carry small purses only, or something like that.  Be prepared to get shot down by the mindless mantra of no tolerance, though.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm addressing the next school board meeting about this.  They should be quite pleased to answer me, seeings it predominately male!  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I haven't heard of this type of thing at the schools around here; they can still carry backpacks - but not to class.  Now that I think about it, both the high school and middle school have female principals.    Probably a bunch of men came up with the rules at your child's school.  They probably haven't even thought about this concern.  Maybe you should mention it to them.  As far as I am concerned either the girls should be permitted to carry or the school should furnish feminine products in the bathrooms.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#15]
That is very unfair to the female students. Are the students allowed to wear baggy pants? If so, they should be banned as well (a lot can be hidden in baggy pants). Instead of the no purse rule, there should be metal detectors for safety. Of course those steel tampons could pose a problem in metal detectors as well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#16]
How are people supposed to go from the structure of a HS to the real world? If you ask kids to make decisions, they will often make the right ones. If you do not ask them to, they will make the wrong ones.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How are people supposed to go from the structure of a HS to the real world? If you ask kids to make decisions, they will often make the right ones. If you do not ask them to, they will make the wrong ones.

I wonder often about the usefulness of the school structure  in the real world.  It certainly trains you to let others do the talking and walking.

It trains you for a factory job.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#19]
The usefulness of HS....not much.  It keeps them in "daycare" till they are old enough to move out, then back in, then out again,
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FWIW

I can hear the menz running in fear!  BWAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAA!  

+1 Why did I have to click on this thread.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder often about the usefulness of the school structure  in the real world.  It certainly trains you to let others do the talking and walking.

How else would we have democrats??

Seriously, whenever someone asking me about homeschooling asks me about socialization, I say, "EXACTLY! That's why we don't send them to public school!"
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:40:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Yeah, but she's still afraid of tampons...uses the ever so clunky pads.  

Forget diamonds; as far as I'm concerned, tampons are a girl's best friend.

Playtex gentle glide, baby!  Ya can't even feel them!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:44:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
That is very unfair to the female students. Are the students allowed to wear baggy pants? If so, they should be banned as well (a lot can be hidden in baggy pants). Instead of the no purse rule, there should be metal detectors for safety. Of course those steel tampons could pose a problem in metal detectors as well.

They have done all of they around here, they also banned gold teeth, no bookbags either.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They have done all of they around here, they also banned gold teeth, no bookbags either.

Gold teeth?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top