Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 1:09:52 PM EDT
 The day started well. The sun was shining and the temperature was warm. I had an easy job which ended quickly. I got to stop at a classic car dealership where every classic car was for sale.

There were Hotrods everywhere and all to be had if you could cough up the change.

This jewel was a mere $85k!

It was a private car show and the wife and I were the only ones invited! We moved on down the road closer to home when I thought a good pizza and a pitcher of beer would be the best way to enjoy lunch with my wife.
 The beer was good and the pizza was better. We laughed and joked and then reality set in.
"Too bad we can't do this in our own city." It would be cool to just drive up the street and have a beer and some pizza and then head home to friends and fun. Nooo we can't do that because.......wait for it.......

WE LIVE IN A DRY COUNTY!

Yes thats right I can't even buy a fucking beer where I live.
 Back in the 40's-50's they thought we would be in flying cars, moon bases, and have Martian buddies and all that jazz in the 21st century. I will be lucky if when we do have moon bases and Martian pals, that I can actually get a beer in my own town.

Is it too much to ask that I be able to decide if I am competent enough to handle alcohol?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#1]
brew your own, and sell it to the locals from your own classic car

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
brew your own, and sell it to the locals from your own classic car

i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/ibdmentd/general-lee-animated2.gif

You know that was actually brought up in conversation.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are not happy with where you live.....

Now get this....

Are you ready.....
Move.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#4]
You could always try to get legislation introduced that would "moisten" your county.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You could always try to get legislation introduced that would "moisten" your county.  MJD

It has been turned down by the local .gov and they have made it extremely tough to try and get it on a ballot for a vote.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I live in a dry area too. I can't buy beer at the store, but I can go to a restraunt and drink myself into oblivion.

Fortunately I live 5 miles from the county line and 6 pack is just a short trip away.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I live in a dry area too. I can't buy beer at the store, but I can go to a restraunt and drink myself into oblivion.

Fortunately I live 5 miles from the county line and 6 pack is just a short trip away.

We are completely dry. Can't even drink in a restraunt.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We are completely dry. Can't even drink in a restraunt.

Eeeh.  Yep, time to move.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#9]
OK I don't flippin get it.

Are you telling me your CITY tells you guys you can't drink and in turn you can't buy it anywhere?

That's f'd up.

I'd move and if more people will feel that way they've move also and in turn the city would slowly go under.

If the city stays successful, well by golly a dry city is what the people want.

It's just like a private business.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Are you telling me your CITY tells you guys you can't drink and in turn you can't buy it anywhere?

That's f'd up.

I'd move and if more people will feel that way they've move also and in turn the city would slowly go under.

Yup that's what I'm telling you. The county line is ike 15 minutes away and you can buy alcohol but still can't drink in a restraunt. You have to drive 30 minutes to drink and eat at the same time. Everybody around here drinks, we even have drive up stores where you don't even have to get out of the car, they bring it to you! That is if you live near the county line. The money lost from alcohol sales has to be enormous. The lines for alcohol on Friday and Saturday are just plain stupid.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Dry counties some places are so backwards
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Coryell County just got with the 19th century a bit ago and allowed beer in the county....

Wow...The tax dollars are pouring in.  Instead of going to Bell or Lampassas counties, we now spend our dollars in CORYELL County!  Wow!  No kidding.

Friggin dry counties=Stupid rednecks that have no idea how to manage a county around vices.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's f'd up.

Yup that's what I'm telling you. The county line is ike 15 minutes away and you can buy alcohol but still can't drink in a restraunt. You have to drive 30 minutes to drink and eat at the same time. Everybody around here drinks, we even have drive up stores where you don't even have to get out of the car, they bring it to you! That is if you live near the county line. The money lost from alcohol sales has to be enormous. The lines for alcohol on Friday and Saturday are just plain stupid.

But if nobody moves because of this issue the county rightly so will think everything is hunky dory in the eyes of the people who pay taxes there.

You guys are basically catering to SOMEONE's wants and desires.

The quetion is: who is the SOMEONE's?
Is it the people who live there or people in power there?

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Street gangs will take over your county selling illegal booze, thousands will die in turf wars.  You're better off smoking meth with your lunch
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#15]
It all boils down to religion. The churches around here are anti alcohol because it's a sin. They keep influence on people in charge and prevent a vote on it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#17]
IBPPOTI

(In Before Paul Points Out The Irony)

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1  They tried that here in few counties in KY.  It took years of stonewalling by the local gov'ts before it was finally allowed to be voted on by the public, and get this, it was voted down!!  

I'm glad I don't live in a completely dry county.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If you are not happy with where you live.....

Now get this....

Are you ready.....
Move.

+1...no whining
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Can you name the county? I work in NC and didn't know that a dry county exsisited.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#21]
It's because of all them damn Kali idiots moving from Kalifuckinforina with their high falootin big city ways...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll drink a Yeungling, followed by a Tequiza, in your honor and hope that you prevail.  

Good luck.

Merlin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top