Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/20/2017 9:21:45 AM EDT
See attached paint.  County Road.  Their mailbox is technically in my yard.  Mailbox has a little bed of mulch around the base of it.  My responsibility or the guy across the street to upkeep the mulch?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Not your responsibility but personally I like to keep my yard looking nice.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#2]
your yard and all...you could, say, talk to your neighbor and work something out?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I have same thing, my wife plants the flowers and spreads mulch, neighbor looks and nods, for $20  it's all good
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#4]
It's probably technically the town's property.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Third world problems.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Not a big deal IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm guessing we're about to find out it's technically federal property.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or easement.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I would move the mailbox off my property NOW.  He is using you for your land.  Next thing you know it will be a bird bath...then a slip and slide...then a pool.  And he won't let you use it.  Stop the encroachment now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#10]
looks like it is in the easement (.gov property) I'd contact the town fathers and threaten a sit in.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Put a MAGA sign next to it and find out who owns that bit of land right quick.  Ask the neighbor to put his mailbox over on his own land.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow GD is full of first world panzy problems today. First someone is mad for not getting called Mr., now another is worried about upkeeping mulch lolz
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I would dig a moat around the mailbox and fill it with Bullsharks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Your yard is facing north so obviously it's your problem.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:42:57 AM EDT
[#15]
The pressing First World problems of ARFcom. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I would move the mailbox off my property NOW.  He is using you for your land.  Next thing you know it will be a bird bath...then a slip and slide...then a pool.  And he won't let you use it.  Stop the encroachment now.
View Quote
Yep, you'll have a tiny house with their freeloader kids working on art degrees in their 30's inside of 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#17]
set up claymores
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#18]
You should smash their mailbox into a 1000 pieces and throw it on their driveway.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Or easement.
View Quote
Easements are still required to be maintained by the property owner.

In all seriousness, how much work is involved here? Weed Whack it and be done.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
looks like it is in the easement (.gov property) I'd contact the town fathers and threaten a sit in.
View Quote
The township certainly doesn't mow it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Your yard is facing north so obviously it's your problem.
View Quote
Shit I even fucked up the paint. The road runs N/S
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Easements are still required to be maintained by the property owner.

In all seriousness, how much work is involved here? Weed Whack it and be done.
View Quote
Mulch and flowers now. Weed whack all summer. There's some stones around the bottom too that could stand to be replaced
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
In my area, ALL mailboxes are on the same side of the road as required by the Post Office. The boxes are located in the easement. The neighbors simply can't do what you think they can do. It's a genuine First World nonissue.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#24]
That close to the road, the highway dept needs to be able to access and alter as needed, I'm not sure how it classifies, but if the highway dept wants to come everyday and take a shit by that mailbox your out of luck. Dad worked there for years, always tells me a certain distance off the road is "yours" only in spirit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Take a chainsaw to the post, throw the mailbox and post into the neighbor's front yard, then salt the earth where it once stood.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Mulch and flowers now. Weed whack all summer. There's some stones around the bottom too that could stand to be replaced
View Quote
What you're looking at is the equivalent to the Power company or Telephone company locating a box in the easement on your yard. Personally, I'd treat the area as if it wasn't there. Whatever I had planned for the area, I'd just do; flowers or just whacked weeds.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wow GD is full of first world panzy problems today. First someone is mad for not getting called Mr., now another is worried about upkeeping mulch lolz
View Quote
It's 420 today. I foresee the day becoming stranger once Colorado wakes up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#28]
I would just take care of it but maybe it's not in your budget.

Perhaps a GoFundMe page to pay for the upkeep? 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#29]
easement belongs to the city, county, state, federal government. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  If his mailbox is on your land, and he doesn't have an easement for it.......I'd just rip it out and deposit it on his driveway with a note "I found this on my land, here's a copy of the partition plat, see for yourself.  Please re-install your mailbox on your land.  Thanks for your cooperation.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Take a chainsaw to the post, throw the mailbox and post into the neighbor's front yard, then salt the earth where it once stood.
View Quote
Why would you salt your own land?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wait until the neighbor plants corn around his mailbox and the resulting dispute over the harvest.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#33]
I really hope that the replies saying that you should rip out the mailbox are sarcasm.  Maybe just suburbanites who don't understand that in the country, all mailboxes go on one side if the road.  

It is an easement.  Neighbor should maintain it out for courtesy.  If it, place a snake in the box after the mail is delivered.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Mailbox not belonging to you in your yard???  

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
easement belongs to the city, county, state, federal government. 
View Quote
So I should call them and tell them to come mulch and mow?

The picture isn't to scale. The area between the trees and the mailbox is probably 10yards or so. How do I figure out how much easement there is? There's no utilities out there
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#36]
We're likely talking less than a bag of mulch.  You really find it worthwhile to worry about $1-2 worth of mulch and less than 5 minutes of your time?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Shit next to it..piss on it to mark your terrority. 
When,said neighbor runs over yelling
"Wtf man...my mulch "
Whip up your best freedom boner...false charge him like a bear and yell

"Mine...maga ...mother fucker"
While giving him a death stare.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#38]
If your neighbor had better customer service this wouldnt be an issue 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#40]
It's the line of delivery for the Post Office. You can't do what you want with it as tampering with Federal property which is what a mail box is. Once a line of delivery is established, then its set for life unless you notify the local station Postmaster that there's a problem and you need to move the mailbox delivery and what solutions are available between you both and how the Carrier will then start redelivery of your mail.

However, your neighbor needs to know it's still your property, so other than a mail box post and it's upkeep(paint/house number/repairs), they can't treat it as their property and plant flowers/mulch or other bullshit to make it look pretty as if it's on their property, because it's not their property from the post base outwards.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#41]
sure neighbor you want to make a big deal about this mailbox that has always been in the same spot because thats what the post office requires. Ill paint it rainbow colors, decorate it like a unicorn and put flashing strobes all over it with bamboo growing underneath it so your yard looks like shit. I can play that game too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Their responsibility.  BUT, it's your yard, so you can keep it up as much as you want too so his neglect doesn't make your place look like shit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Is it in your yard or a utility easement
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#44]
But do they call you Mister?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#45]
I would make it match whatever I had done around my own mailbox. I'm all about symmetry. 
I'd also do the upkeep, so that I could continue to be happy with how it looked.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Shit.

I thought OP got the hammer.

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Shit.

I thought OP got the hammer.

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#48]
This is why the USPS LLVs (Long Life Vehicles) have steering wheels on the right side. Rural mail delivery.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#49]
People are

We had our whole cluster of mail boxes hit by a car and knocked down. I went went out with a jackhammer, finished removing posts and installed 2 new ones so I could reset the entire stand. Neighbor came over after the new posts were set and brought a few beers and helped finish it off. Of the 6 or 7 that use that stand, all but one thanked me.

Life's too short.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The township certainly doesn't mow it.
View Quote
May need to check the deed.  I know around here, the first 6ft is owned by the county and considered easement, but required to be maintained (mowed, not repaired) by the home owner.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top