Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2003 8:38:41 PM EDT
Background: As I am 17, all the guns are registered on my shooting partener/relative in NY-State territory(Nassau County). I live in NY-City. Nobody in my household has a long-gun permit.

Is it legal for me to 'borrow' a (AR-7 sporter[.22]) rifle for a week (until next weekend) to do some machining work on it?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Negative.
Posession of a firearm in the city limits requires permission.

The only reason I know this is because I called recently to check this very question.

Of course, I only spoke to a desk cop (States Atty's office "wasn't taking calls on these matters" [rolleyes]), so this advice could be total bullshit.

You know anything about Westchester Cty. NY State?
Vista, NY?
Just wondering. I was just up there yesterday and loved it.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Negative.
Posession of a firearm in the city limits requires permission.

The only reason I know this is because I called recently to check this very question.

Of course, I only spoke to a desk cop (States Atty's office "wasn't taking calls on these matters" [rolleyes]), so this advice could be total bullshit.

Vista, NY?

View Quote

Permission from whom (The guy asked for the machining job)?

And sorry, I don't know about that area, Nassau is on long-island (same law's, just other side of the city). Don't go up-state much.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Meaning you have to have a city "permit".

And taking posession of another persons  firearm and working on it requires a [b]Federal[/b] license as well.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#4]
ah. OK... what about borrowing one? Or just taking the parts I will be working on?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#5]
That's pretty much the way to do it.

FOr example, if you are working on the barrel, just take the barrel.

The receiver is what is considered the "gun" itself. As long as you don't have that (and barring some obscure NYC law on gun parts) you don't technically posess a gun, and are in the clear.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#6]
also note, it is only a permit to PURCHASE a rifle/shogun that we have in NYC. which is why i think it might be OK.

Thanks for the help anyways mate. ill call the police dep't up tomorrow to find out for sure.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#7]
A) You are under 18

B) NYC does indeed have rules relating to [b]posession[/b] of certain long guns

C) You are taking posession of someone elses gun to do work on it. That is FEDERALLY regulated, period.

Keep in mind, I [i]personally[/i] don't follow stupid laws, but that's a chance I take.

What part do you need to "machine" on an AR7 anyway?

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&ID=56[/url]

NYC Gun Laws

Jesus, what a shithole... [rolleyes]

A permit issued by the Firearms Control Section of the Police Department's License Division is required to possess a rifle or shotgun in New York City. The applicant must submit 4 photos taken within 30 days of application, be fingerprinted, and submit 2 affidavits from persons setting forth his good character. The fee for a rifle and shotgun permit and renewal is $55. The permit is valid for 3 years and is subject to automatic renewal, upon sworn application, and without investigation, unless the Police Commissioner has reason to believe that the status of the applicant has changed since the previous application.

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I want to re-crown it, put a cambfer on the chamber (it jams alot, people that do this find that it fixes all their jamming problems).
Also put a different bolt there in place of the handguard which keeps the barrel in place, and some other kind of grip(vertical?) and a scopemount directly attatched to the barrel.
Edit: also, there are some problems with the bolt carrier when it the area around it gets dirty, so I figure that if I lathe off 3/64 or so of an inch off the diameter, it will make for some improvements in prolonged shooting.

And this is why I am trying to get out of this liberalist cess-pit ASAP (college is best chance)
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Whoa there little doggie.

Before you go messing with the chamber, remember that the vast, vast majority of all jamming is magazine related. The remaining minority is ammo related, with only a very few instances of bad chambers.
And if it really is a bad chamber, the best you can do is polish the interior chamber surface and de-edge the entry point. Anything beyond that requires a new barrel (assuming that is the problem)

How is the gun jamming?
Are the rounds nosediving?
Are they feeding high on the breechface?
Left? Right?
Not ejecting?

Also, is your barrel the sleeved model (Like the US Repeating Arms AR7 clones)? That will have dramatic effect on your recrowning.

And does it [i]really[/i] need to be recrowned?

And when you say "handguards", what do you mean?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:47:25 PM EDT
[#11]
My POS ar-7 (never seen a good one) only has problems if I dont support the magazine properly while firing. And the sights suck donkey balls.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#12]
GC, I know its a total POS, which is why i'm going to do this stuff.. It's a total loss  practically speaking, so i'm just going to have a field-day with it. Practice on this before I go ahead and do all sorts of wacky shit to my M17s.

anyhoo, the edge removal is what I am doing. Magazine isn't the problem (It goes in perfectly, with no wobble of any kind), rounds sometimes just hit the edge of the chamber and go off in some direction(usually it's up, but left-right has happened).

The gun is an armalite, and it's the sporter (i think), it has a heat shield that screws in place to hold the barrel on. The crown has a chip in it, so i'ma gonna play around with that.

Would be nice to find someone with info on how to get a blank barrel template(only the bore/rifling there, otherwise, its un-procesed), so I could just machine out my own barrel.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Vista, NY?

View Quote

Vista is an actual town in NY? All these years I thought it was a liquor store 10 mins away that sells past 8 and on sundays.  Everyone keeps telling me its NY, but its looks like an extention of CT.  What are the permit laws there anyways?.  Whenever I go to the range it actually saves drive time if I drive through Vista and then go back into CT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top