Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/17/2020 5:59:48 PM
Posted: 12/15/2009 2:04:45 PM EDT
Never owned a compressor before. I want to buy this for nailing interior trim and baseboards:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=253002-354-CPACK300&lpage=none

Would this compressor also be powerful enough to run a roofing nailer to nail fiber cement siding?
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 2:14:50 PM EDT
NO

IT

IS  

NOT
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 2:21:29 PM EDT
Not really. Finish guns are pretty small volume.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 2:29:59 PM EDT
Just compare the roofing gun needs to the compressor output.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 2:41:37 PM EDT
for a few shingles, sure it would work. For re-roofing a whole house Nope, not enough ass to it. Iwould be constantly running and small compressors (tank size and motor size) are not rated for 100% duty cycle.

J-
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 3:04:07 PM EDT
I would be using the roofing nailer for slow paced nailing of hardie siding so there would be a lot less volume than using it for actual roofing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 3:39:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Hans_Gruber:
I would be using the roofing nailer for slow paced nailing of hardie siding so there would be a lot less volume than using it for actual roofing.

I've used a compressor like it before. Even "slow nailing" siding is gonna tax it quickly––it will cycle a lot, and that compressor is LOUD.

I'd look for a decent oil-lubed, twin tank compressor in the $200-250 range. Something like this Porter Cable unit This one isn't oil-lubed, but it will hold up to decent usage, like running a roofing gun, light framing, any kind of trim install. I've even used mine to nail off a few sheets of sheathing.

I'm assuming you don't already have a compressor? If so, get one that can handle future needs. The model above can do quite a bit, and is still light and portable.

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:25:10 PM EDT
Check out Harbor Freight. We bought three compressors this summer for like $30 a peice(open box special). We used each one at a different site doing mission work this summer. My site used a framing nailer. It worker great. Another site used it to replace a roof. Worked fine there too.

Looks like the are $180 on the site. If you have a local store I'm pretty sure they are like $90. You might could google some sale flyers too. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90234
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 4:18:00 AM EDT
I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try.
I think you guys are underestimating the pancake compressors.  
I will never buy another big heavy immobile compressor again.
I wouldn't use this compressors to paint or run air sanders or die grinders, but every hand held air tool I have attached to a porter cable pancake compressor has worked continuously.  I have been trying to burn out one of these for 3 years now and it hasn't happened yet.  We've run it full load for hours at a time.
One roofing nailer is nothing for this compressor.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 4:21:22 AM EDT
its will be running the whole time ....
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:21:10 AM EDT
I have that same compressor, and used it to put a little more than a square of shingles on a pavilion for a porch swing this summer. Once I got the output set right right for the gun, it worked great. Like it has been said, I wouldn't task it full time for roofing, but it should be ok for your intended use.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:40:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Hans_Gruber:

Ante up for a twin tank compressor and you won't have to worry about what you use it for.  I have a Porter Cable twin tank and use it for framing and siding.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:03:08 AM EDT
pressure should be up around 120 psi for roofing nailers.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 12:22:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Noguns19:
Check out Harbor Freight. We bought three compressors this summer for like $30 a peice(open box special). We used each one at a different site doing mission work this summer. My site used a framing nailer. It worker great. Another site used it to replace a roof. Worked fine there too.

Looks like the are $180 on the site. If you have a local store I'm pretty sure they are like $90. You might could google some sale flyers too. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90234

How loud is this unit compared to a oil free pancake type? I am wanting to upgrade, but I really want to stay with something portable, just a little quieter.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 4:36:48 PM EDT
I dont know how loud a pancake compressor is. Ours from HB are loud, but to bad. They are not as loud as our shop compressor. Dont really have anything else to compare it too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:50:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ByteTheBullet:
Originally Posted By Noguns19:

How loud is this unit compared to a oil free pancake type? I am wanting to upgrade, but I really want to stay with something portable, just a little quieter.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

I'd say it's probably 25-30% quieter than an oil-free model. Compressors don't get really quiet until you buy a belt-driven or two-stage pump. Then they're 50-80% quieter than an oil-free.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:55:14 PM EDT
to be sure find a model with specs of 4.0 CFM @ 90 PSI  or greater
Top Top