Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2003 9:33:11 AM EDT
Okay, so I'm at my mom's place in the country helping out for a few days. She's got this one cat that she got to be the mouser, but that's not all he brings home.

Besides the occasional mouse and bird, this cat is a rabbit-killer. Just this morning, it apparently found a rabbit's nesting area (or whatever it is you call it) next to the house. In the span of about 45 minutes, the cat picked up two little bunnies (small enough to fit in your hand), played with them, batted them around and then left the carcasses.

Is this normal cat behavior? Why doesn't he go after mice more often? (We found a mouse in a glue trap this morning so it's not like there are no mice in the area.) Sign me perplexed. [?]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a cat, it's what they do.  Just be glad that you're bigger or it might bat you around.  It's what they do.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Normal cat behavior.

Its ok, rabbits can be a pest too, just ask a farmer or rancher.

If YOU had a choice between mouse and rabbit meat, which would YOU choose.

And its less likely that the rabbit has a belly full of Decon.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#3]
shoot the cat.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#4]
one of my cats dragged a full grown rabbit out from under the deck around the swimming pool last week. It's the same cat that goes after the dog every now and than. If he feels he can take an animal he will try. Hell he goes up trees after tree rats too. some cats are just nuts like that. don't stress it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Normal cat behavior.

My cat loves to torture his prey, by batting it around, before he chews off the legs and leaves it for dead.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's a cat, it's what they do.
View Quote

Damn straight.  I had a few cats growing up, and they were all cute and loveable.  They also had a habit of maiming and toying with other cute, loveable animals.  I found more than 1 dying baby bunny on the doorstep.  The cat is the quintessential hunter.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
shoot the cat.
View Quote

LMAO!

Seriously, our barn cats catch rabbits all the time.  They especially like to find a nest of kits(baby rabbits).
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#8]
A friend's cat left a dead rabbit carcass in their car while they were on vacation.  Never got the smell out.

My cats pay little attention to possums, even babies.  Small birds and insects get them going.

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Rabbits are bad and must be killed.  Even cute little ones.

On edit:  Except PET rabbits, of course.

[50]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top