Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2006 5:31:30 PM EDT
I have a trust worthy friend that just gave me some "special" pills that he says have given him a 10% increase in fuel economy on his first tank, and more is expected when he gets through with his second tank...

see this site for more info www.gassaver7.mybpbiz.com

I plan on driving a tank out and measuring my fuel economy before I use his magic pills and seeing for myself.   He gave me enough for three tanks.

I noticed this thread in the survival forum on a similar product. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=422967

Knowing the work the Big Three put into keeping ther CAFE (a measurement of their avg fuel efficiency that determines automanufactures taxes)  down, I think its proabaly snake oil stuff...

Have you used it?  Got a chemistry or engineering perspective?  What do you think?

ETA they have a distinct smell reminiscent of moth balls...  napthalene?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The only thing you can add to your tank to extend your mileage is more fuel. I had a friend whose daughter would religeously add two or three containers of octane boost every tank swearing it extended her mileage. My friend finally had enough and told her if she put a gallon of octane boose in every tank of COURSE it would extend her range as she had an extra gallon of fuel she never calculated!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Blatant hijack - deleted.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Kind of like the super duper secret carburetors GM is hiding.  You think they wouldn't love to bring out a 50mpg Surburban?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The only thing you can add to your tank to extend your mileage is more fuel.

+1
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm curious to see how it does-I lean more toward snake oil myself.

I had the other thread on Soltron-I added some to my diesel rollback and got zero results.I just towed in a car that's been sitting a couple years-I'm going to throw some Soltron in the tank to see if it turns the "bad" gas into good.

I also had someone drop off some info on platinum system that is supposed to increase your mileage 20-30%.Engine vacuum draws the platinum (in vapor form) into the motor where it helps the air/fuel mixture "burn more completely".

I was willing to try the 12.95 Soltron-I'll pass on the 100.00 platinum stuff.Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have a trust worthy friend that just gave me some "special" pills that he says have given him a 10% increase in fuel economy on his first tank, and more is expected when he gets through with his second tank...

see this site for more info www.gassaver7.mybpbiz.com

It's a "business opportunity" - Amway for autos.  If the stuff worked, they'd be selling it at K-Mart, WalMart and every other mart in the world, not trying to enlist people to sell it.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#7]
i call bullshit.  if there was something that actually worked, we'd all be using it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#8]
acetone works.  

2-4 oz per 10 gallons IIRC can bump up economy up to 30%.  

I tried it for a while but it is a PIA to pour it in without getting all over the place and fucking up your paint.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Hate to break it you you, but there isn't anything you can add to your tank that is going to give you a significant increase in MPG.  Interesting thing about gas, it only works well in a very narrow range of fuel/air mixture, roughly 14-15 parts air to each part of gas. You can run a bit rich, and lose milage, but under normal conditions, you can't run run much leaner that 15:1.

All the bullshit you might have heard about the Pogue (or whoever) carb is just that.  A little math using the given displacement of an engine kind of puts the BS on the 80mpg 350 Chevy motor.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Putting solids in the fuel tank does not sound like a good idea.  As other people have pointed out, if this actually worked, it would be sold more places.   I remember when Slick50 was making these sorts of claims: all BS.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
acetone works.  

Yeah, works great on burning up your valves, rings & piston domes. I think the few extra pennies for gas is cheaper than a new engine.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
acetone works.  

2-4 oz per 10 gallons IIRC can bump up economy up to 30%.  

I tried it for a while but it is a PIA to pour it in without getting all over the place and fucking up your paint.

acetone did absolutley nothing for my buick park avenue or my ford f150.

While I've never tried acetone... my internet commando skills revealed that it is a normal additive to the gass you buy at the pump and my GM engineer friends laugh and point to CAFE and the fact that acetone is already part of the standard gass mixture....

That said I just filled up my gass guzzling 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 4x4 with the biggest V8 they could shoehorn under the hood and zeroed the trip odometer...  I'll track millage on this tank then add the pills on the next....

and I'll post as the saga continues....  i'm skeptical, but what do I got to loose?  The pills were free.

My only concern is that I'm a building contractor and roofer so some days I drive alot to do estimates other days I pull 9000# trailers of construction debries to the mount everest of a dump we got.....    

but boy is it fun to shift to 4 wheel low and yank that thing up to the peak of the dump....

we'll see.

ETA: while driving to the dump is fun.... so is my reserve job....  aerobatics and formation flights as a Navy primary flight instructor in the T-34C....  I do live a charmed life if I do say so myself.   GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:01:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok I've ran a few tanks and tracked my milage....

Baseline #1.   93 octane, no additive,  some trailering, some city, some highway millage, no knocking: 12.8 MPG

Baseline #2.  87 octane, no additive, a little bit more trailering,  some city some highway, some knocking especially when accelerating and trailering:  12.8 MPG

Additive #1:   93 Oct.  8 additive pills (instructions given were to double the dose on the first tank), about the same mix of trailering, city, and highway was Baseline#1.   13.6 MPG

Additive #2:  93 oct, 4 additive pills (the normal dose)  almost exclusively city driving while trailering with heavy trailers (in the past I'd gotte about 10-11 mpg when I've tracked my heavy trailering gass milage)  12.1 MPG

There may be something to this stuff... I'm currently almost half way through Additive #3 tank....
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:30:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
some trailering, some city, some highway millage
a little bit more trailering,  some city some highway
about the same mix of trailering, city, and highway
almost exclusively city driving while trailering with heavy trailers

Based on what I can tell your driving pattern just too varied to get good data.  We need someone who does the same kind of driving every single day.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:35:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have a trust worthy friend that just gave me some "special" pills <snip>

Did the pills come in a box like this?

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I have no idea why people waste there money on this kid of bullshit...

Once again, there is NOTHING you can add to your gas to get "more" out of it...

When I worked at Edelbrock I did a good deal of work in our C.A.R.B lab. This is a room that costs about $2 million dollars and has everything you couls possably test on a car. The whole lab is temature controlled, cars are run on a huge calabrated dyno, and EVERYTHING is monitored.

We tested all this shit.. NOTHING worked.. a few of the products cause a net LOSS in power/economy.

It's just like the K&N air filters.. Everyone loves them.. "I can feel the power" Bullshit..
Most K&N filters cause a LOSS in power.. On a stock 5.0L Mustang you loose 13 HP and 21 FT/LBS of torque!!  (BTW-I don't work for Edelbrock anymore, and I will say that a good deal of there products don't do shit eather)
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Based on what I can tell your driving pattern just too varied to get good data.  We need someone who does the same kind of driving every single day.  

I think I brought that point up before...

but I did do some testing when I first got the truck....  I never got more than just under 13 MPG whether I was running nearly exclusively highway or not, and always got about 10-11 MPG when I was doing a bunch of heavy trailering....  so I do 'feel' that there may be something to these little guys...

Whether its just the adding and additive just really adds more fuel to burn... or they are indeed some sort of catilist... I don't know.  

i don't really plan on buying these pills, told my friend from the beginning and figured what do I got to loose...

oh and he gave me a few more free bees... I should be able to run a 4th tank as well  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Additive #3: 13.3MPG...  about the same mix of driving as base line #1

Currently on additive tank #4...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top