Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2010 3:41:09 AM EDT
Some old guy at work was telling me that if you shoot a windshield with an ar15, it doesn't always penetrate and will  sometimes slide up the windshield and shatter the trim near the roof because of the angle instead of just penetrating straight through.  Does this mean I should use rainx in a shtf scenario?  I have only shot paper targets with my ar15, so I wouldn't know, but I find it hard to believe.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:42:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on if you are shooting a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:48:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Depends on if you are shooting a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc.

And what day of the week it is...
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:48:41 AM EDT
[#3]
nope

yep

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:48:46 AM EDT
[#4]
When a sniper team is shooting through a windshield they have a pair take two almost simultaneous shots through the glass. The first shot shatters the windshield so the second goes right through and maintains accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:52:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I could see that happeneing with many different rounds.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:52:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:55:06 AM EDT
[#7]
FUCK THE UAW.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:57:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
FUCK THE UAW.

Yup.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:57:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Somtimes.  Glass can be very unpredictable depending on angle and projectile.  Add to that Windshield glass and now you have to layers of tempered glass with a polymer sheet in teh middle.

Look at it like shooting at a pond.  Sometimes they go in the water, somettimes you see them hit the water then hear them spinning off into the woods......and btw that is why you shouldn't shoot at water and you should always know your target and what is beyond....

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:57:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've never seen .223 fail to travel through auto glass. The front window is tougher  than the others. I suppose if it hit from an angle at some unknown distance....

Hornady 45 grain TAP is notorious for not penetrating a windshield.  There was a Dallas PD shooting a couple years back wherein multiple rounds were fired at the perp through the windshield, and he didn't suffer a scratch.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:59:35 AM EDT
[#11]
http://theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot2.htm

It deals with handgun bullets, but with the lighter, faster 5.56 I could imagine some deflections happening on occasion, under certain conditions. But I would think for the most part the results would be roughly the same.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:00:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Is the car and/or shooter on a treadmill?
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:04:38 AM EDT
[#13]
yeah it could happen.

I wouldn't count on it though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:16:20 AM EDT
[#14]
depends on if the guy driving had chile with or without beans
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:21:40 AM EDT
[#15]
The more I shoot, the more I realize bullets do crazy, unpredictable things.  There is no "always" or "never" when it comes to the actions of a bullet after it exits the barrel.  Sometimes a 9mm will bounce off a skull, and sometimes a .22lr will kill a person.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:22:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Bullets behave very unpredictably when traveling through windshields. At point blank fired from within a car, I've seen pistol bullets take upward, downward, and direct paths once going through the glass.

What's more, one can't just specify "from an AR15." Big differences between how a 55gr Ballistic Tip, Barnes 70gr TSX, or 77gr MatchKing will behave, not even accounting for the differences in strike angle and glass construction.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:24:50 AM EDT
[#17]
It also depends if the glass has seen a grown man naked.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:25:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When a sniper team is shooting through a windshield they have a pair take two almost simultaneous shots through the glass. The first shot shatters the windshield so the second goes right through and maintains accuracy.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:42:26 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd say under the right conditions anything like that could happen but it's more the exception than the rule. Kind of like saying nine millimeters bounce off people's heads, I'd bet most people who took a nine to the head are in the ground.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:46:41 AM EDT
[#20]
One or two might, but the remaining 28/29 rounds probably won't.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:47:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
depends on if the guy driving had chile with or without beans

and if he could spell.  

Unless the whole country got beans.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:55:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I would rather not be in the car when a test is made.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:04:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So he's wrong?

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:14:03 AM EDT
[#24]
heard on one of those military channel shows that when a 5.56 hits a car window it penetrates but starts rise once it passes thru so you should shot right a the base of the windshield

if thats accurate or not i dont know
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:15:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
FUCK THE UAW.

this

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:20:52 AM EDT
[#26]
There have been numerous reports coming out of operations in Iraq that have attested to the fact that the 5.56 doesn't always penetrate angled auto windshields. I believe it is a bullet weight issue. A heavier bullet with a little less velocity will likely penetrate a windhshield whereas the 5.56 is both lightweight and high velocity. I'm no expert. Just what I heard.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:22:31 AM EDT
[#27]
I've fired thru Auto Windshield with 22LR and it went clean thru
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:25:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
FUCK THE UAW.

this

I have done quite a bit of research on this very subject and have been an expert witness in Federal Courts and on numerous news programs.  This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:25:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

?? He's right.

There is a video floating around of a SWAT sniper taking a shot at a perp from behind a large glass door in LA (I think). The bullet didn't go through and the perp and his buddies went around shooting the hostages.

Also, I believe it was Mythbusters? that did a segment on this, and at least with pistol ammunition the bullet's impact was higher than were the shooter was aiming because of the slopped glass of the windshield.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:27:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Some old guy at work was telling me that if you shoot a windshield with an ar15, it doesn't always penetrate and will  sometimes slide up the windshield and shatter the trim near the roof because of the angle instead of just penetrating straight through.  Does this mean I should use rainx in a shtf scenario?  I have only shot paper targets with my ar15, so I wouldn't know, but I find it hard to believe.

Lend me your vehicle with intact windshield and I will test it for you and let you know.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Depends on the bullet used.
A 50 grain SX varmint bullet will explode on the glass, a 62 grain M855 Penetrator will make it through most of the time, at least the penetrator core will punch through, even if it sheds the jacket.
Lighter bullets will tend to fare worse than heavier bullets due to thinner jacket materials.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:34:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This is now a "RainX Makes Bullets Deflect" thread...GO!

It's actually an interesting thought, but no. RainX would have little or nothing to do with causing deflection. Plate thickness and angle of impact have a MUCH higher input to that equation.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:38:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It is possible that if certain bullets strike the glass at certain angles, the glass could deflect them.

Yet another reason not to load with varmint-style bullets.

IIRC, many PDs use bonded bullets because of their better performance through auto glass.  I'm sure Zhukov will correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:44:51 AM EDT
[#34]
chas that lambo is at the dealership just down the street from me I live in naples, geez sometimes I think arfcom is following me

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:47:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
One or two might, but the remaining 28/29 rounds probably won't.

this is the correct answer

if all 30 rds deflect then he was meant to live and you were meant to die

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:36:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Is the car and/or shooter on a treadmill?

travelling at the speed of light...
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:39:56 AM EDT
[#37]
RainX will stop it all the time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:42:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've never seen .223 fail to travel through auto glass. The front window is tougher  than the others. I suppose if it hit from an angle at some unknown distance....

I have seen 5.56 rounds skip off doors, fenders, trunklids etc...  when hitting the surface at an angle.

I have not seen any rounds skip off of a windshield.  They all pierced the glass like butter.

I assume it would be possible depending on the angle but for the most part I call bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:50:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Depends on if the uranium gerbil had to make a phone call to his lizard king last trimester.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#40]
OP needs to drop ship some windshields to The-Box-O-Truth
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:54:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

?? He's right.

There is a video floating around of a SWAT sniper taking a shot at a perp from behind a large glass door in LA (I think). The bullet didn't go through and the perp and his buddies went around shooting the hostages.

Also, I believe it was Mythbusters? that did a segment on this, and at least with pistol ammunition the bullet's impact was higher than were the shooter was aiming because of the slopped glass of the windshield.

Think that was in Miami or Tampa.. someone in Florida I thought.  That was one of the more depressing videos I've ever seen.

Also, this thread ftw.  All the damn jokes, and some legit info.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:04:10 AM EDT
[#42]
a while back on here a guy did some tests on the windshield of a car and posted a long evaluation of it.

The angle deflected the bullet a little... like 3-4 inches

Shooting into the car deflected the bullet down. The theory being that the lower part of the bullet passes through more glass and is thus slowed down more than the top.

Shooting out of the car deflected the bullet up.

This was standard everyday car windshield with a pretty middle of the road angle.  More extreme angles will effects things more.

So a .223 will go right through most auto-glass but will be slightly deflected by the encounter.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:08:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

?? He's right.

i remember that video.  it had to do with the ammo they were using not because they only took one shot.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:09:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The more I shoot, the more I realize bullets do crazy, unpredictable things.  There is no "always" or "never" when it comes to the actions of a bullet after it exits the barrel.  Sometimes a 9mm will bounce off a skull, and sometimes a .22lr will kill a person.

Yup. At high speeds anything can happen. You have to plan for what happens "most" of the time but there is always some wild variable that *could* cause an unexpected result. When it comes to what a bullet will do when it hits something, there is no "always".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top