Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2012 5:29:10 AM EDT
I don't have one....thinkin' I'd like one for bench shooting, possible varmint, and just all around fun gun. would fill the gap between my 5.56 SBR and 30-06 Rem.

Owned by a trustworthy friend who is thinning his heard as he is getting on a bit in years.

Rem 700 ADL synthetic. Very clean condition. Used but not at all abused.   Bought new Approx 10 years back
Trigger job by gunsmith when first purchased. Net approx 3 lb trigger. Crisp, clean, creep free
Includes Burris 3.5 x 10 x 50 optic, Hard shell lined carry case.  couple boxes of ammo and a set of reload dies.

We've been talking the $550-$600 range  Whadda ya think?  I'm thinking it sounds pretty good.  
Doesn't have to be deal of the century, just want to make sure its reasonable.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:32:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds reasonable to me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:36:44 AM EDT
[#2]
22-250 is a barrel eating round. I would check the bore well and find out exactly how many rounds have been down the pipe before I bought it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:41:12 AM EDT
[#3]
From what I can tell, but I'm obviously no expert, rifleing looks good. No pitting or exessive wear.  I actually have the rifle in my possesion. He's letting me test drive it before I commit. Hoping to take it out tomorrow and put a few rounds down range
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#4]
keep your $500 bucks and buy the SPS from dicks when it goes on sale every year
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:42:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Yup. Decent deal with the scope. I'd try to keep it at the $550.00 range. If it isn't bedded, have that done by a good 'smith & have fun with it. Remington still uses a 1 in 14" twist, so 50- 55 grainers will likely be your best bet for accuracy/stabilization. 45 grainers will break 4K fps.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:43:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd buy it for that if I was looking for one.  I wouldn't worry about barrel life too much if unless it's a heavy barrel.  They'll last in the neighborhood of 2000 rounds and it doesn't sound like this one was used much.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:50:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Knowing him, and talking to him, I'd guess it's had 300-400 through it Maybe less.  He has other platforms, and he's mostly a duck/shotgun guy. This was a coyote rifle for him.  Said his pet loads for it were 52g HP under Varget.  Should I avoid the lighter 45g screamers?  Will that help barrel life?  What in particular makes it a 'barrel eating round'.  This is a new caliber for me, so appreciate the shared knowledge
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:11:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Any rifle will be a "barrel eating round" if  you load it hot all the time. So unless he's in the primer flattening range in his loads,don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:22:14 AM EDT
[#9]
My thoughts exactly with the scope, dies etc.
Quoted:
Yup. Decent deal with the scope. I'd try to keep it at the $550.00 range. If it isn't bedded, have that done by a good 'smith & have fun with it. Remington still uses a 1 in 14" twist, so 50- 55 grainers will likely be your best bet for accuracy/stabilization. 45 grainers will break 4K fps.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:28:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
22-250 is a barrel eating round. I would check the bore well and find out exactly how many rounds have been down the pipe before I bought it.

meh
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:30:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Any rifle will be a "barrel eating round" if  you load it hot all the time. So unless he's in the primer flattening range in his loads,don't worry about it.

The 22-250 with factory loads will still wear out throats faster than most conventional rifles.  It shoudn't be hard to confirm the rifles condition and if the seller is a good friend than this shouldn't be a problem.  However, in general it is wise to be skeptical of used 22-250, alot of that have lost their accuracy get dumped on the used market.

OP:  seems like an decent deal as long as the condition is good.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:32:39 AM EDT
[#12]
dicks sporting goods is running a deal on the 700 varmit for black friday. 349 after mail in rebate with a 4-12x40 scope
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:40:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Can you post that link?  I'm only seeing it for $549 less 50.  Of course, I have to drive 150 miles, pay tax, etc. so even then, it may not be much advantage.  Plus if I buy the used one, I can sneak it into the safe and explain it later !!  Still trying to sell that theory of the guns reproducing in the candlelight of the safe.

I think my friend will probably take $500 for it.  As long as it shoots straight, and I'm sure it will, I will probably take it.  Good Karma buying from 'the old guy'.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:56:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
From what I can tell, but I'm obviously no expert, rifleing looks good. No pitting or exessive wear.  I actually have the rifle in my possesion. He's letting me test drive it before I commit. Hoping to take it out tomorrow and put a few rounds down range

You can't determine the condition without a borescope.

The price is okay, but only due to the scope.  The business with the trigger either means it was adjusted or swapped out.

Looked it over with my bore snake type light...like I said, no expert, but no red flags. Overall, the whole thing looks little used and well cared for.  As for the trigger, was worked by a gunsmith that has done several rifles for this guy, so I'm not concerned about the trigger being hacked.  Dry fired it with snap caps several times. feels great. super consistent, clean break, etc.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can you post that link?  I'm only seeing it for $549 less 50.  

Never mind the link...found it in the 'doorbusters' link.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:01:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:07:41 AM EDT
[#18]
not a great deal even with the scope; since if you plan on doing any serious varmint shooting you going to be looking for a higher magnification scope after your first varmint "shoot".

hell this time of year plenty of shops like academy, basspro, dicks etc selling rifles at a pretty decent price with rebates etc.

don't know about the new remington trigger groups, but the old style 700 trigger is easily adjusted for damn near everything but treble & bass; of course it's easily fucked up too if you don't know what you're doing.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks all for the input. Much appreciated.  Will put it all in the mixer and see what pours out.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  On my way to the buffet !!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

I have one that has over 5K of fairly hot loads. another with 3K or so. No problems with either. If you abuse a rifle and shoot it till its smoking it will wear out the throat. Otherwise I don't think you could measure the difference between it an say a 308 or 30-06. there would be more of a variable between different barrels
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top