Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/23/2004 5:51:30 PM EST
Memory card adapters? i upgarded my pc with some more memory and took the 128 MB out, so i decide to put it in my kids Gateway and it dont fit. WTF, i thought these things were universal?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:53:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By superdav:
Memory card adapters? i upgarded my pc with some more memory and took the 128 MB out, so i decide to put it in my kids Gateway and it dont fit. WTF, i thought these things were universal?

You have much to learn, Grasshopper...
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:57:23 PM EST
Universal?

Not by a long shot!

SDRam
DDR-DRam

SIMMS
DIMMS

PC66
PC1­00
PC133

30pin
72pin
168pin184pin
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:58:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2004 5:58:33 PM EST by superdav]
when i looked at the ones in the store they ALL looked identical to the one in my Dell. So is Gateway just a bastard and i now have an extra useless card?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:59:30 PM EST
maybe i'll trade it off on something
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:59:35 PM EST

when i looked at the ones in the store they ALL looked identical to the one in my Dell. So is Gateway just a bastard and i now have an extra useless card?

Some are more common than others. That is why you NEVER buy a Gateway.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:00:07 PM EST

maybe i'll trade it off on something

128mb won't got you much
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:02:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By Penguin_101:

Dont worry, I told Gateway to kiss my ass the last time they said "Since your having all this trouble with Windows ME you should upgrade to XP, would you like to put that on your credit card?"
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:08:04 PM EST

Dont worry, I told Gateway to kiss my ass the last time they said "Since your having all this trouble with Windows ME you should upgrade to XP, would you like to put that on your credit card?"

You really should update to XP.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:09:41 PM EST
just a thought... turn the chip around and try it. also, look at the slits on the bottom of the chip and the guides on the motherboard slot. pc133/pc100/pc66 have 2 slots. sdram has only one. if they both have chips that look the same make sure you are putting them in the right direction.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:10:14 PM EST

You really should update to XP.

I did but i didnt buy it from those bastards at gateway
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:07:23 PM EST
Gateway does or did use some proprietary architecture but I never had a problem with RAM.

Cases and power suplys yes, but RAM no.

128M of ram is $20-$30 retail unless you have something exotic like ECC PC-800 RDRAM and even then it's only $50.

For a current machine you can buy a GB yes a gig! of DDR PC3200 Ram for $160-$170.
Top Top