Quoted:
Zip ties make the world go round.

+1
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Draw down on it....
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey it's 2006 already.   Try getting some wireless!  

+1 on the zip ties.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Molotov?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Belkin makes some nice cable handlers that are velcro.

If you are constantly fiddling with things behind your computer, makes the chicken chokers (zip ties) hard to use, having to cut them all the time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Got Tannerite?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#8]
They also make a roll of stuff that is velcro on both sides, so it wraps on itself.

Less permenant than zip ties, and you don't have to clip them off if you add some wires.

We use that when we wire rooms here.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Telecom rack (Chatsworth, et all), and some Panduit wire management.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
They also make a roll of stuff that is velcro on both sides, so it wraps on itself.

Less permenant than zip ties, and you don't have to clip them off if you add some wires.

We use that when we wire rooms here.

+1 velcro wraps, zip ties suck cause you have to cut them, the velcro is reusable.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Down your computer, take it all apart, dust and vacuum everything, then put it back together with zip ties (or velcro, but not wire twist ties) to control the slack.

If that's your house I recommend adding several more AC receptacles in the wall.  It looks like you have power strips on power strips.  That's a no-no.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Cool, looks like I need to find some velcro strips.

btw, the power strips are not piggy backed. Thats dangerous I know.

Thanks ya'll
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#14]
IS that a "Taxman" Computer fort you got there?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#15]
what is that on top of the tower, external hard drives?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Have you tried furiously masturbating at it?

ETA Hey, all the draw down, tannerite and fire ones were taken.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hey it's 2006 already.   Try getting some wireless!  

+1 on the zip ties.  

Even the "wireless" gadgets have wires.  What's the point??  

Not to mention the additional security hole.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Watch out with cable management though. Putting cables so close together can introduce interference and crosstalk. Usually its not enough to be noticable. Occasionally it can cause some serious problems.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Use velcro straps designed for cables.  As soon as you cut off a zip tie, you probably won't re-install it.

You can also use automotive wire loom, the ribbed black plastic split stuff.  It comes in large sizes and you can hide a lot of cable in it.

Homey depot sells the velcro.  If you search around, you can find entire rolls of the stuff from Newark and other places.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Bongo Ties are better.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Zip ties? Bunch of wussies ... cut the wires to the appropriate length and re-terminate then.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Its pretty bad huh

cherrywoodbandb.com/DSCF00032.JPG

I just redid the wiring at my home workcenter.  I have three computers in place, with a dedicated circuit and UPS.

What really cleaned things up was turning it all off, taking all the wiring out, mounting the multi-strips on the wall, reconsidering where each box and accessory (printer, scanner, router, DSL modem, etc.) was placed, and consolidating certain things.

Best things:

1.  Mounting multi-strips on wall or on back of desk.
2.  Using a short three-outlet extension cord to attach the transformers for the router and DSL modem.  This put the transformers closer to the router and DSL location, and freed up three extra spots on the multistrip that had been blocked by the transformers.
3.  Velcro to bundle cables.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:10:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If that's your house I recommend adding several more AC receptacles in the wall.  It looks like you have power strips on power strips.  That's a no-no.

Oh yeah--I used two strips.  One plugged into the "Backed-up" side of the UPS, one plugged into the "Only surge-suppressed" side.

In the "backed up" side, I have my computer tower, monitor, DSL modem and Router, and USB hub (for external hard drives or whatever).  This would be enough to keep my system functioning for a few minutes for an orderly shutdown.

Everything else (printer, scanner, speakers, desk lamp, etc.) is plugged into the non-essential, surge-but-not-backup-power side.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Belkin makes some nice cable handlers that are velcro.

If you are constantly fiddling with things behind your computer, makes the chicken chokers (zip ties) hard to use, having to cut them all the time.

Yup. I use those for kitchen appliances (mixers, etc.), portable phone chargers, laptop travel crap, etc. I picked up a box of them at Staples and still use the things.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
what is that on top of the tower, external hard drives?

ya, two 300gb and a couple 7 port usb hubs
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top