[#1]
theft
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Order it on the internet.

Duh.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.  I buy a NIB gun from a private seller in a face to face transaction.  I build a new AR using an 80% lower.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes.  If it isn't transferred.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes.  I buy a NIB gun from a private seller in a face to face transaction.  I build a new AR using an 80% lower.
View Quote

The private seller would go through a background check when they bought it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Fast N Furious
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:08:54 PM EDT
[#7]
LEO firearms?
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Some states let you skip the check if you have a CCW.  Of course you get a NICS check when you get your CCW, so don't know if you think this counts.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

How does an actual new in box gun get to a private seller without being transferred?  I'm talking new, from the factory, never been owned before.  Not something that some one bought at a dealer, never fired, then sold as NIB.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#10]
80% receiver.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Buddy of mine ordered a gun online, instead of shipping it to the FFL the company shipped it to his house.  He took it right up to the FFL.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#12]
If you make your own gun.

Guns the feds carry.

Guns that come over with dignitary protection guys.

Manufacturer sample that fell off the conveyor.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How does an actual new in box gun get to a private seller without being transferred?  I'm talking new, from the factory, never been owned before.  Not something that some one bought at a dealer, never fired, then sold as NIB.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Black powder.

Or the owner made it themselves.  In which case it can't be transferred, but is still on the streets without a check.

Trying to get around a recent felony conviction, OP?
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Black powder.

Or the owner made it themselves. In which case it can't be transferred, but is still on the streets without a check.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Black powder.

Or the owner made it themselves. In which case it can't be transferred, but is still on the streets without a check.

You could decide you don't want it before you use it and sell it FTF in most states.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Sure.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a '51, '52, '53, '54...
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You could decide you don't want it before you use it and sell it FTF in most states.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Black powder.

I thought of it was transferred (even in state) it would have to get serialized.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Some states let you skip the check if you have a CCW.  Of course you get a NICS check when you get your CCW, so don't know if you think this counts.
View Quote

You do that check for the license, but no gun purchase is subjected to it in GA and other states so the gun purchases are done without a NICS check.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Does a frame issued to replace one with a different SN as part of a warranty repair go through an NICS check?

I've never encountered this scenario before that didn't just result in a gun buyback on behalf of the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you give up your FFL, you can keep your inventory as personal firearms. So theoretically, a NIB gun that a former FFL holder sells FTF would never have a 4473 or NICS check. However, the ATF would be able to trace it to the former FFL if necessary. I would guess that's a pretty uncommon occurance.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Sole proprietor FFL's can transfer from their business inventory to their personal inventory without a nics

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Does a frame issued to replace one with a different SN as part of a warranty repair go through an NICS check?

I've never encountered this scenario before that didn't just result in a gun buyback on behalf of the manufacturer.
View Quote

I'm reasonably certain the law allows for a repaired/replaced gun to be shipped directly to the consumer.  

Any Taurus owners want to confirm?

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#24]
bought from an ice cream truck
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
80% receiver.
View Quote

That would be the only way that I can think of.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A couple I can think of....

I have a NICS exempt CHP, so I can walk in and walk out without a NICS check.  That is somewhat cheating though as I have already gone through a check to get the NICS exemption
Another is, Officers can order guns for duty and have them shipped to their department and take ownership without doing the 4473/NICS check
View Quote

But there was no NICS check done when you bought a new gun.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL,

GREAT SONG!!!

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good point, and I don't believe they would in most states.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Just wondering,

I knew some states let you purchase with a CCL, but Ohio does not (there may be new law on this that I am unfamiliar with), but I did not know of any other way to get the brand new gun without NICS.

FBI said they anticipate over 22m checks this year, some of which I am sure get rejected, but many more are probably multi gun purchases for long guns or lowers.

That's a nice year for 2a supporters
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#30]
One could buy a personal weapon from an FFL. An FFL can wear more than one hat. The FFL, being exempt from NICS, can transfer a gun from his dealer inventory to himself as a private individual and then sell it privately if he wishes. No problem if the FFL has held the gun for a year or more but quicker turnovers could be a problem.

Anyways: NICS isn't concerned with the gun's serial number. They only ask for info on the buyer. The serial number is on the 4473 that is retained by the dealer.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

theft
View Quote

Read the question again.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#34]
some states if you have a ccw no need to do a NICS
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

This

I don't go through NICS
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Obvious answer... The gun show loophole.  

Duh!

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This

I don't go through NICS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I don't go through NICS

Yep. Texas CHL means I fill out a 4473 and I'm good to go. No NICS involved.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your way off
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

The manufacturer destroys the old frame and updates the new serial number replacing the old one. In a trace, it would come up.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here in Florida a nics check and FFL transfer was required when S&W replaced a defective 19 11 with a new pistol  for me.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#43]

New old stock antique; very unlikely but theoretically possible.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Guns transferred from the government don't have NICS checks performed. I think this only applies if you're in a cartel or Islamic terror organization though.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

NM
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Here in Florida a nics check and FFL transfer was required when S&W replaced a defective 19 11 with a new pistol  for me.
View Quote

It actually wasn't required - but going through an FFL instead of direct to S&W made it necessary.

Had you shipped the pistol direct to S&W, then S&W could have shipped a replacement directly back to you not involving an FFL at all.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Well is there?
View Quote

Sole proprietor FFL who goes out of business with some new guns still in stock and on hand, who later sells them off in private instate transactions.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Sole proprietor FFL's can transfer from their business inventory to their personal inventory without a nics

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you give up your FFL, you can keep your inventory as personal firearms. So theoretically, a NIB gun that a former FFL holder sells FTF would never have a 4473 or NICS check. However, the ATF would be able to trace it to the former FFL if necessary. I would guess that's a pretty uncommon occurance.

Yep. I do it often.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#49]
80% lower, completed and then sold.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#50]

Some C&R guns are NIB.  Not sure if that meets your guidelines.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top