Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 4:24:57 PM EDT
Without renting a steamer?
I have been peeling wallpaper for 3 days now. Granted not all day long, but I am sick to death of peeling wallpaper! I am scoring, soaking with diff, peeling, scoring more, soaking more, peeling more.
The person who put this on put it right on the drywall, no paint underneath it,  so I am going to have major touchups to do when I am done. And I still have 3 rooms to paint! All I have done of that is the trim. Got to get the wallpaper off before I can finish.
Any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Why didn't you just wall paper over it?

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

SGatr15

Because I have 2 teenage girls that thought it would be funny to peel it when the corners came loose, so I have to  remove it all now.  And yes they had red asses when I was done with them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

Because I have 2 teenage girls that thought it would be funny to peel it when the corners came loose, so I have to  remove it all now.  And yes they had red asses when I was done with them.

Well, there's your answer!  They started peeling it, they should finish!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
lady, I feel your pain.  We bought my father-in-law's condo, and he had wall papered the ceilings and put huge wallpaper murals at the tops of vaulted walls. Thank God it was over paint - but unfortunately it was just a single layer of commercial crap paint.  Lots of patching to do.  

Then when we moved our new house had tons of paper, over paper, over painted paper.  Yes, that's 3 layers of paper.

PITA.  I HATE WALLPAPER.

The cheap steamers are like $30 at the hardware store and they work fine.  Hot water in a spray bottle and skipping the scoring thing works good on some papers too.  Just peel the top layer of paper off as best you can then spray the funky underside w/ hot water and let it sit a while then peel that layer off too.

Not sure how it will work with no paint under it though.  You poor thing!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Steamer, scrapers and buckets of water and sponges.  It takes some time and is a royal pain.  

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

EGGS ACT LY!!!!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

EGGS ACT LY!!!!!

Sgtar15

Yeah I thought of this, but I want it done this century!

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Go to your desktop and right-click.  Click on proerties and then select the desktop tab.  Change your background.

Oh....that wallpaper I'm afraid is much harder to get rid of.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Tannerite?    Replace the drywall?  If you have been at it for three days, you could have replaced the drywalll, mudded, primed and painted it already with about as much mess and less headaches....
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:23:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Having the wallpaper applied directly to drywall, I don't think there is any 'easy' way to remove it.  When I did my living room last year, I had the same problem.  Found it just as easy to remove it using a scraper with a razor blade in it.  Took a few times to find the right angle for the blade, but once I did, most of the wallpaper was removed without a large number of gouges in the wall.  But like any method, it takes time.  And LOTS and LOTS of patience. LOL

I tried Diff, and I thought it sucked.  On 'normal' walls, I've had much greater results using a half and half mixture of vinegar and water.  If you can peel off the top layer of decorative paper, while leaving the underpaper with adhesive, even better.  Spray with mixture, let sit for 5-10 minutes, peel.

If scoring through the decorative paper is necessary, spray mixture as well, and liberally.  I've also found that so called wallpaper scrapers are just about useless.  My favorite tool for wallpaper stripping became a 4" putty knife.  

If I hear some faint cursing and swearing, I'll know where it's coming from.

"Can you hear me now?"

"Why, YES, I can, but it wouldn't be proper to repeat it."
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Spray it and then use an iron.  Use wallpaper primer if you are putting more up, it makes removal much easier.  You could also try sanding the surface prior to spraying.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I am NOT putting more paper up. I have lived here 5 years and slowly I am getting it down from every stinking wall in the house. I am down to half the kitchen and a small bathroom.
The kitchen is proving the hardest since it went on drywall with no paint etc in between. (I'm sure the bathroom is the same since it was added during a remodel, same as part of the kitchen.)  I can't get the decorative top to peel off, so this doesn't help either. Every time I set about to peel paper, I curse the woman who put all this sh@t up. Now I also have to dig into my budget to find money for primer.. grrr.. I have drywall repair stuff, just need to do the repairs now.
I have taken pics of b4 and I will get after and post them when I am finished.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 208 year old house. It has always been in my husbands family. We bought it from his grandmother. We have horsehair plaster,with god awful wallpaper,that some of it is now coming back in style. The toile look you see,I have that in this god awful green color that is in my hallway upstairs and downstairs. We bought one of those cheap steamers,but we have been finding that a spray bottle with hot water works best. I wish you luck.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Nuke from orbit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Geez.. go to home depot and get some wallpaper remover. It's a liquid that you roll over the wallpaper and it loosens the paste underneath. Don't get me wrong, it's still a huge pain in the ass because once you peel off the wallpaper, you still need to wipe the old paste off the wall. Some wallpaper isn't as permeable as others so it might take longer/more solution to do the job. The key is, get really good coverage and give it enough time to soak through and loosen the paste. Ideally, you'll be able to peel it off in big sheets.

EDIT: Whoops, I just noticed the "soaking" part of your post. Beyond that, I say make the girls do it. You're pretty much hosed because there's no painted surface between the wallpaper and the drywall. It's just going to soak the drywall paper and loosen it from the drywall core.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top