Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/13/2007 8:07:37 PM EDT
Here's the situation.

I will be in the Bahamas. I will have internet access from my room. I would like to be able to call the U.S. via the internet and avoid the long distance charges. By cell phone, it's about $2/minute unless I use a local system which would not allow me to use my own existing number.

Can I accomplish what I'm looking for? What exactly would I need to do this to keep it as simple as possible?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:22:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kcobean:

Originally Posted By niceguymr:
Here's the situation.

I will be in the Bahamas. I will have internet access from my room. I would like to be able to call the U.S. via the internet and avoid the long distance charges. By cell phone, it's about $2/minute unless I use a local system which would not allow me to use my own existing number.

Can I accomplish what I'm looking for? What exactly would I need to do this to keep it as simple as possible?

Skype!!! When I was in Greece, my bro in law had skype and it cost something like $0.02 / minute, where it was a dollar or more per minute on a land line. You just need a good headphones with microphone for your laptop.

Skype setup is an absolute piece of cake too.

+1!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:39:16 PM EDT
if your problem is "how do I talk with someone using voice over the internet" and not "how do I make phone calls", Windows Live Messenger has a nice voice chat feature as well as click-to-call using PSTN. Both are free.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:00:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RyJones:
if your problem is "how do I talk with someone using voice over the internet" and not "how do I make phone calls", Windows Live Messenger has a nice voice chat feature as well as click-to-call using PSTN. Both are free.

No. I want to make phone calls.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:03:33 PM EDT
www.skype.com

Aviator
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:15:58 PM EDT
But to use SKYPE, you have to call other people on SKYPE?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:18:05 PM EDT
skype is good for calls to landlines, it's cheaper than paying for normal long distance.

$30 a year gets you US CAN and a few other places.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:19:57 PM EDT
When my son was in Korea, his roomie had VONAGE (IIRC, don't quote me though) and I think he ended up with unlimited calling on his half which was $30/month. They may have been getting some internet deal through the Exchange. But he was able to call anywhere in the US for nothing over his half of the monthly bill.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:23:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By niceguymr:
But to use SKYPE, you have to call other people on SKYPE?

Negative.

It's free to talk to anyone *online* with Skype. You can ALSO make PC to Telephone calls for stupid cheap. The quality is really good too, even suprisingly acceptable on dialup connections.

It's probably gonna be the best solution for what you'll need.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:38:51 AM EDT
I travel alot and use SKYPE all the time. Easy to use. Just need a little headset that you can pick up anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:52:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2007 2:52:40 AM EDT by cluster]
+1 for skype..

or for the really cheap bastard in you ..

www.voipbuster.com/en/index.html

like skype.. only diffrence is they give you 60 min free of free "pc tp phonr " calls to start.. < last time i checked >
Top Top