Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/3/2005 3:42:27 AM EDT
At the start of July I got sick.. it all started with a sore throat and progressed into severe congestion, cough, hot flashes, cold sweats, etc.

After about 2 1/2 weeks I finally managed to kick my cold... or so I thought.

Last week I once again got a sore throat.  I went to my doctor and she claimed viral infection and told me to take some over the counter medications to relieve my symptoms and if I weren't better in two weeks, she would give me an antibiotic.

When I visited her office I was complaining of a sore throat, ear ache, jaw pain, neck pain (external), slight cough and congestion.

It's now been a week and for the last 6 days my symptoms have been a fever (99.5-100.5), sore throat, ear ache, severe congestion, sneezing fits, coughing fits so hard I nearly vomit and my chest tightens, I'm unable to touch my forehead above my eyebrows because it simply hurts!, this morning I blew my nose and wound up with a blood soaked tissue, headaches.. blah blah, etc. etc.  I haven't been sleeping well because when I lay down at night I'm coughing every 30 seconds and it doesn't allow me to fall asleep.  I also wake up to cough should I manage to doze off!

I'm thinkin after almost a steady month of illness, I did manage to feel better for a whole week before this round hit!, that something more has to be going on with my body.

What do you guys think??
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:52:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you need a second opinion for a real doctor.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:57:54 AM EDT
[#2]
HH?
Get thee to a doctor!

All kidding aside...I think you need to seek a pro.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:58:47 AM EDT
[#3]
It's ebola
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:00:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
HH?
Get thee to a doctor!

I've been!!  She told me nothing she could do, refused to give me antibiotics until the 8th of August.. this having seen her in July.  She said it takes 2 weeks for enough mucus to form to create a bacterial infection and even advised me they were the "antibiotic nazis" and didn't give 'em out.

Her and I got into a lovely little argument.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:06:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HH?
Get thee to a doctor!

I've been!!  She told me nothing she could do, refused to give me antibiotics until the 8th of August.. this having seen her in July.  She said it takes 2 weeks for enough mucus to form to create a bacterial infection and even advised me they were the "antibiotic nazis" and didn't give 'em out.

See a different one, hun...ya sound awful
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:11:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
HH?
Get thee to a doctor!

See a different one, hun...ya sound awful

Thanks, I feel awful.. just hope I don't look as bad as I feel.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:16:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I checked the files, here's the culprit:

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:20:36 AM EDT
[#8]
You're going to die.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:37:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You're going to die.

Ugh, it's bad when that almost sounds better than going through another week of this crap!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:43:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Go see another Doctor. If they give you something and it works, go into your old one and say 'You're Fired.' Make sure you do the hand thing.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:44:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HH?
Get thee to a doctor!

HH, I hate to say it, but the Doc is correct.  Antibiotics only work for bacterial infections.  They do nothing but feed viral infections and make your immune system weaker for the next bout.  (I was a drug rep for a few years, anti-microbial/anit-infectious specialty).  Although it does sound like you have something more going on than the run of the mill virus.  It sounds more to me like something in you environment that is in essence re-infecting you.   I would see an internist or and infectious disease doc.  

Hope you feel better soon.  In the meantime, stay in Indiana.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:45:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Go get yourself checked into the Hospital.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:47:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
HH?
Get thee to a doctor!

HH, I hate to say it, but the Doc is correct.  Antibiotics only work for bacterial infections.  They do nothing but feed viral infections and make your immune system weaker for the next bout.  (I was a drug rep for a few years, anti-microbial/anit-infectious specialty).  Although it does sound like you have something more going on than the run of the mill virus.  It sounds more to me like something in you environment that is in essence re-infecting you.   I would see an internist or and infectious disease doc.  

Your propensity for compassion is overwhelming...
On another note HH...he may be onto something...replaced the filters on the AC recently?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:48:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
HH?
Get thee to a doctor!

And I would normally not even go see her for this.... but my aunt who's been in the medical field for over 30 years says I'm in need of antibiotics.  Oh who to believe!

Can I come visit now?  Stay in your bed?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:49:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
HH?
Get thee to a doctor!

On another note HH...he may be onto something...replaced the filters on the AC recently?

Could be toxic mold.........
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:49:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
HH?
Get thee to a doctor!

And out of Indianapolis please.

I'd say if it is going on this long,  a second opinion is necessary.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:49:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I've got a new filter and I lysoled my place after I started feeling better.  But alas, here I am ill again!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:50:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Antibiotic nazis?

I like your doc.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:51:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Antibiotic nazis?

I like your doc.

You can have 'em!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:54:13 AM EDT
[#20]
No blood in the stool? You'll live.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:56:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
HH?
Get thee to a doctor!

And I would normally not even go see her for this.... but my aunt who's been in the medical field for over 30 years says I'm in need of antibiotics.  Oh who to believe!

Ok...you twisted my arm.  Pick you up at the airport baggage claim.  I'll be the tall, tanned, blue eyed handsome man with 2 dozen roses and a level 3 Hazmat Suit.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:25:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok...you twisted my arm.  Pick you up at the airport baggage claim.  I'll be the tall, tanned, blue eyed handsome man with 2 dozen roses and a level 3 Hazmat Suit.  

Oh if I had a dime for every man who told me THAT...HH---he's lying!
He's got green eyes like his avatar
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:27:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

If only if only, right?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:31:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

If only if only, right?

Ladies, please.  My eyes are blue, always have been, always will be...just ask SP1Grrl.  

ETA:  My avatar has NO eyes!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:34:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:39:41 AM EDT
[#26]
I hope you feel better soon HH.  I also echo the advice of a second opinion.  If your little girl was this sick what would you do?  Do the same for yourself.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:40:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Could be Tourette's... have you been cussing a lot?

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:42:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I hope you feel better soon HH.  I also echo the advice of a second opinion.  If your little girl was this sick what would you do?  Do the same for yourself.  Patty

Dr's appt at 10:30 this morning with a new physician.  Let's see how this goes!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:43:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One north of Indy right?!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:46:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

If you have a bacterial infection, antibiotics will work. (Unless you are infected with a strain of antibiotic resistent bacteria.  who says darwin was wrong )

For a viral infection, there isn't anything other than rest and time.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:47:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
it's not ebola.

ebola won't make you suffer that long.

Yeah, she would have bleed out from every opening in her body. (eyes too)
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:47:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Could be Tourette's... have you been cussing a lot?

I would have never suspected Tourettes!    Patty

*ETA* Good job HH fingers crossed that you're on the mend soon.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:08:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Not a doc but I have been through the SAME EXACT thing.

Sinus infection. It can linger for a long time with coming and going. I went through a few diffrent types of anitbiotics before I was ok.

It can all start as a common cold with the mucus not draining well from your sinus. You kick the cold but the sinus gets infected and it takes awhile for that to get going good and thick.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:09:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Sinus infection. It can linger for a long time with coming and going. I went through a few diffrent types of anitbiotics before I was ok.

It can all start as a common cold with the mucus not draining well from your sinus. You kick the cold but the sinus gets infected and it takes awhile for that to get going good and thick.

That is how I get them.  Extreme pain in the front of my face, directly below my eye.  Makes my teeth hurt.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#35]
try taking echinacea (over the counter herb).  Take 1 pill 2 times a day until you feel better.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:19:01 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is how I get them.  Extreme pain in the front of my face, directly below my eye.  Makes my teeth hurt.

That was my original thought too.  Sinus infections can be bacterial or viral.  It appears yours is viral and has spread to your lungs as well.  You may have developed a low grade viral pneumonia.  There are drugs that can slow/stop the progression of the viral infection making it easier for your body to fight the virus.   Wash your hands and bed linens often with hot water to keep the risk of re-infection to a minimum.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:20:54 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was my original thought too.  Sinus infections can be bacterial or viral.  It appears yours is viral and has spread to your lungs as well.  You may have developed a low grade viral pneumonia.  There are drugs that can slow/stop the progression of the viral infection making it easier for your body to fight the virus.   Wash your hands and bed linens often with hot water to keep the risk of re-infection to a minimum.  

Ya know...when she gets back and tells us her doc says that it's a yeast infection, we're all gonna feel pretty damn stupid...................................
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:25:52 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya know...when she gets back and tells us her doc says that it's a yeast infection, we're all gonna feel pretty damn stupid...................................

Never heard of a yeast infection having these syptoms.  Better call ARDOC.  That is more of his specialty.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One north of Indy right?!

Nope, goin to the one down the street from you

Just kiddin, it's here north of indy about a mile from my place.

I'm off, thanks for all the well wishes....  will post how it went as soon as I get back.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You're going to die.

Ugh, it's bad when that almost sounds better than going through another week of this crap!

Have you been treating the symptoms as you were directed?

Are you taking Sudafed, Aceteminophen or Ibuprofen and drinking lots of water, hot tea? Stand in a hot steamy shower a couple of times a day, even gargle with warm salt water a couple of times a day.

If you do all of the above, you should be able to control the nastiest of the symptoms.

Viruses take a good week to two to pass.  She's probably right.  Did they perform a rapid strep test? (once you've been in the field for awhile you can smell strep throat when they are 5 feet from you).

We as a society need to get out of the habit of treating every little fever and sore throat with antibiotics.  That's what has gotten us to the point we are at now with so many resistant strains and a dwindling pool of effective ABX...

Hope you feel better soon, but I don't know that ABX are the answer for you.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:07:04 AM EDT
[#41]
OK let's get this out of the way first;
1. Dibs on the guns
2. You're infected w/ the Zombie virus and your gonna die....but you get to come back again!hould
Now for the real stuff.
I got the winter-time version of this gunk and it put me down for three months. Same coughing fits, couldn't lie flat- had to stay propped up at night, (the other FF's banned me to my own room instead of the General population bunkroom). Same productive phlegm, pain, yada, yada...
I saw my PCP and two other members of his practice during that time and each wanted totreat me w/ different stuff. What actually made me feel better for the long haul was taking respiratory meds that cleared the junk out of my chest and allowed me to become active again. This in turn helped regain strength and feel better. I was taking Albuterol inhaler and several other pills for resp. problems. It took me till end of April to feel back to norm.  YMMV, good luck.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:16:29 AM EDT
[#42]
+1 on the Sinus infection.  It sounds as if you got this for sure.  I am not sure about the congestion/coughing tightness in chest.  Could be results of the infection, but sounds as if you got something else going on as well.  

Hope you feel better soon.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Is she dead yet?
Can I have her guns?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HH?
Get thee to a doctor!

Well that's all well & good, I suscribe to the same theory. But the stupid bitch should have done a throat culture & called you back with the results. Go to the ER if you're on a HMO.

My wife went to her doc with abdominal pains, doc said she was constipated, go home, take Tylenol. She was puking, dehydrated and hadn't eaten for 5 days, she's diabetic. Took her to the ER, a CT scan later showed she had pancreatitus because her triglicerides were at 2500. She spent over a week in the hospital.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

We as a society need to get out of the habit of treating every little fever and sore throat with antibiotics.  That's what has gotten us to the point we are at now with so many resistant strains and a dwindling pool of effective ABX...

I don't see that happening.  People will shop around for doctors to prescribe antibiotics, whether they need them or not.  Doctors who try to maintain professional integrity just lose customers.

We live in a country where hypnotherapists and accupuncturists are often believed unquestioningly, while medical doctors are second guessed on a regular basis.  

Of course, I have been accused of being a pessimist before.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#46]
All your going to get from your post is VD.

Virtual Diagnosis.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#47]
I am back!!!!

The diagnosis is!!!!!  drumroll please....

Sinusitis and bronchitis!  Antibiotics and Robitussin containing Codeine are now in my body.  He thinks I'll feel much better by this weekend.

ETA:  By the way.... this doctor did a rapid strep test.  Results were negative.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm glad you're getting taken care of!  IF you don't feel better quickly let us know [not sure what we can do other then send cheesy pictures of soup.....]

Patty
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I am back!!!!

Sinusitis and bronchitis!  Antibiotics and Robitussin containing Codeine are now in my body.  He thinks I'll feel much better by this weekend.

ETA:  By the way.... this doctor did a rapid strep test.  Results were negative.

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery.  Once you are better, take a vacation on the beach in FL, I'll leave the hazmat suit at home!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I am back!!!!

Damnit!  I called dibs on your guns.....

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top