Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2004 11:46:32 AM EDT
I recently had a checkup to see how my cholesterol medicine was working, 10mg of Crestor daily.  My results were:

ldl 75
hdl 45
tryglicerides 126

That all seems great, but they said my liver function test was 50, and it should be 40.  They asked if I drank or took tylenol.  I haven't had a drink in years, and rarely use tylenol.  I do take Celebrex daily though and have so for around 4 years.

I'm 34, 147 lbs, 5'6", get little to no excersize, and have a family history of heart disease.  I smoke, but do not inhale, cigars.

What's the deal on the liver test?  Should I be worried?

Balming
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#1]
didn't they just declare Celebrex a fucked up drug?  Or is that another medication i'm thinking of?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#2]
That was Vioxx, a very similar drug.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
didn't they just declare Celebrex a fucked up drug?  Or is that another medication i'm thinking of?

You're thinking Viox, and Celebrex is next on the list.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#4]
nothing some fava beans and a nice chianti wont fix!

thbthbthbthbthb!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I recently had a checkup to see how my cholesterol medicine was working, 10mg of Crestor daily.  My results were:

ldl 75
hdl 45
tryglicerides 126

That all seems great, but they said my liver function test was 50, and it should be 40.  They asked if I drank or took tylenol.  I haven't had a drink in years, and rarely use tylenol.  I do take Celebrex daily though and have so for around 4 years.

I'm 34, 147 lbs, 5'6", get little to no excersize, and have a family history of heart disease.  I smoke, but do not inhale, cigars.

What's the deal on the liver test?  Should I be worried?

Balming

SAME thing happened here... I was chewing my nails worrying about it and after test after test and needless worrying, found out that 3 of my friends had the same thing... just cut down on fatty foods and excercise more. No biggie
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Why is it that when I hear of human livers...I think of fava beans?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Why is it that when I hear of human livers...I think of fava beans?

Oh simple... because you are a sick individual who has deep seeded thoughts of mass killing and hiding the bodies under the house with dreams and aspirations of opening up a FIRST human parts butcher shop catering to those that have the same sick ideas as you...

Thats all.

ETA: Honestly if it is just the liver and fava beans, I wouldnt worry... now if you start thinking human kidney with onions and  human tounge with broccoli and mustard... Theeeeeeeeeen we have another issue.

"Emeril Zippy"..... I can see it now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#9]
you should really be taking milk thistle extract to protect your liver when you are on drugs that are proven to be harsh to your liver.

you only get one, so you should protect it.

i recommend a product called thistlyn.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#11]
What does your doctor say about your abnormal liver function test?  Quit smoking and get SOME exercise!

CONTRAINDICATIONS

CRESTOR is contraindicated in patients with a known hypersensitivity to any component of
this product.

Rosuvastatin  is  contraindicated  in  patients  with  active  liver  disease  or  with  unexplained
persistent elevations of serum transaminases (see WARNINGS, Liver Enzymes).

WARNINGS

Liver Enzymes
HMG-CoA  reductase  inhibitors,  like  some  other  lipid-lowering  therapies,  have  been
associated  with  biochemical  abnormalities  of  liver  function.  The  incidence  of  persistent
elevations  (>3  times  the  upper  limit  of  normal  [ULN]  occurring  on  2  or  more  consecutive
occasions) in serum transaminases in fixed dose  studies was 0.4, 0, 0,  and 0.1% in patients
who received rosuvastatin 5, 10, 20, and 40 mg,  respectively.   In most cases, the elevations
were transient and resolved or improved on continued therapy or after a brief interruption in
therapy. There were two cases of jaundice, for  which a relationship to rosuvastatin therapy
could not be determined, which resolved after discontinuation of therapy. There were no cases
of liver failure or irreversible liver disease in these trials.

It is recommended that liver function tests be performed before and at 12 weeks
following both the initiation of therapy and any elevation of dose, and periodically (e.g.,
semiannually) thereafter.  Liver enzyme changes generally occur in the first 3 months of
treatment  with  rosuvastatin.    Patients  who  develop  increased  transaminase  levels  should  be
monitored  until  the  abnormalities  have  resolved.    Should  an  increase  in  ALT  or  AST  of
>3 times ULN persist, reduction of dose or withdrawal of rosuvastatin is recommended.

Rosuvastatin  should  be  used  with  caution  in  patients  who  consume  substantial  quantities  of
alcohol and/or have a history of liver disease  (see CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY, Special
Populations,  Hepatic  Insufficiency).    Active  liver  disease  or  unexplained  persistent
transaminase  elevations are contraindications to the use of rosuvastatin (see
CONTRAINDICATIONS).
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're thinking Viox, and Celebrex is next on the list.

SGtar15

Get a lawyer...I know of a good trial lawyer from North Carolina who'll be looking for work come November 3rd...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Just follow it.
Did they do LFTs prior to you starting the Crestor?
The Crestor can definitely raise your liver enzymes but this is minimal so far and not much reason for concern.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Phamacy tech wife says" the drug ...watch for your future tests or ...How about genetic history?"

GL man
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Steady, what are you saying?

Balming
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Exactly why I will never take any cholestorol drugs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top