Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2017 10:16:31 AM EDT
In particular on a AR10 platform with a 3x18 scope (vortex razor hd 2). I'm starting to play around with the long rang stuff but also looking to to hunt with it. I am planning to buy a Geissele in 20 MOA but want to hear about the cons.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think so.

Seems necessary with most scopes that domt have enough elevation adjustment.

I bought a fairly expensive Nikon monarch 6-20x mildot a long time ago before I knew much about that stuff (still don't know a ton).
It only has 50 moa adjustment.  So 25 up,  if centered at start.(can only dial a max of 775 yards for ahot).

45moa adjustment wiith a 20 moa base, which allows dialing out to almost 1100 yards.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#2]
If you already have a 0 MOA base, there is the con of having to buy a 20 MOA base that you might not get any benefit from.

If you have no base, there is no reason not to get the 20.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#3]
At low magnification and close up the 20 MOA base can make the image look fucky or so I've heard.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At low magnification and close up the 20 MOA base can make the image look fucky or so I've heard.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#5]
No cons using a 20 MOA base on my 700 in .308.   I hunt with it no problems.  I use that particular rifle on a farm where I can take longer shots but I've also used it to take critters from 15-50 yards.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:31:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you already have a 0 MOA base, there is the con of having to buy a 20 MOA base that you might not get any benefit from.

If you have no base, there is no reason not to get the 20.
View Quote
I had to read that twice!

And now I concur.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't see any con's.
If you are going to shoot at long ranges you will absolutely want/need the 20 moa base, and the scope will have enough elevation adjustment to counter the base for closer in shooting.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Guy next to me last week at the range was popping off a S&W m&P 10. After a while I heard the RO spotting for him and they are saying that he is shooting low and out of adjustment. Had a nice Nikon on the rifle and a one piece base (M308) that was backwards. First think I thought of was a 20moa base. I recommended that he turn it around because that might be a LR range base. 20 minutes later he was on paper...

I ended up wasting a lot of ammo myself....
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
What.....
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Why limit yourself to 20 MOA, you may run out of adjustment if you have to make a 3,450m shot in a pinch. I personally like about 250 moa

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's saying at 1X the image from one eye won't jive with the image from the other eye due to the scoped image being at a canted angle. I'm not saying it does/doesn't happen as I have no idea, I've never tried it, but I've heard the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What.....
Yeah, it's pretty common knowledge that if you finish a sentence with "So I've heard" you can write whatever weirdtarded shit you can think of and it doesn't count against your IQ
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not so much the image being "fucky" but much like with a scope/platform/geometry that doesn't allow one to dial in a 1000 yard target without holdover, there are some geometries where having too much elevation will force one to use a holdunder at close range targets.

All actions are different and their mounting geometries, when things are bolted down, aren't uniform across the board.  Also, just because you have a scope with say 50 MOA of travel, doesn't mean that it get's split in half.  If fact, you're more apt to have less than 25 MOA of UP after everything is said and done.  It's just Murphy's Law.

I've got four target grade bolt guns and they all have 30, 20, 20 and 20 MOA rails, so I'm a fan.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#15]
If you don't have 20 MOA worth of adjustment.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn near bought a 20MOA mount for my .22-250

But I really don't think I'll push it that far.

No, it will still zero just fine at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why limit yourself to 20 MOA, you may run out of adjustment if you have to make a 3,450m shot in a pinch. I personally like about 250 moa

http://www.beowulfx.com/files/includes/images/wp-content-uploads-2013-09-beowulfx_deluxe_closeup-1280x720.jpg
View Quote
Awww.  Now I'm sad.  Is Mikhail still gone?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://www.beowulfx.com/files/includes/images/wp-content-uploads-2013-09-beowulfx_deluxe_closeup-1280x720.jpg
View Quote
What am I missing here?  That base is ridiculously high, but it looks fairly level.  It's not even 20MOA, much less 250.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What am I missing here?  That base is ridiculously high, but it looks fairly level.  It's not even 20MOA, much less 250.
View Quote
Everything.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In particular on a AR10 platform with a 3x18 scope (vortex razor hd 2). I'm starting to play around with the long rang stuff but also looking to to hunt with it. I am planning to buy a Geissele in 20 MOA but want to hear about the cons.
View Quote

What is the range you are shooting?  

Even if you shoot 1,000 meters, based on what you have (7.62 X 51), 10 MOA base will be more than enough.

The down side of 20 MOA mount is, if you have a large objective, a 20 MOA base will lower the objective enough to touch or interfere with your forward rail, or you might need higher rings.
Yes, the +MOA bases tilts the scope down wrt rifle.

I have 20 MOA + NF ATAC on my DTI SRS, and I wind up adding a 1/2" spacer between the optics base and the rifle, because the objective touches the front rail.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Everything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything.
Well, that was helpful.  

Too much effort to let others in on the joke?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well, that was helpful.  

Too much effort to let others in on the joke?
View Quote
Beowulf X mount, huge thread a few years back. Lots of fuckery.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#23]
The only issue with a 20moa base is that it's not a 30moa base
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#24]
If you install it backwards you'll never be able to sight your gun in further than a foot and a half.

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Even if you shoot 1,000 meters, based on what you have (7.62 X 51), 10 MOA base will be more than enough.

The down side of 20 MOA mount is, if you have a large objective, a 20 MOA base will lower the objective enough to touch or interfere with your forward rail, or you might need higher rings.

I have 20 MOA + NF ATAC on my DTI SRS, and I wind up adding a 1/2" spacer between the optics base and the rifle, because the objective touches the front rail.
View Quote
haven't made it to 1,000 yet but that is the plan. I'm shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Its really only necessary on guns that you want to zero at long ranges.

If you're using a scope with capped turrets that you zero at 100 or 200 yards, you don't gain any advantage from using a canted base.

If you dial elevation into the scope then a 20 MOA base gets you 20 MOA closer to the at-range zero.  This is really only useful at or near the limit of the scope's travel.

I wouldn't bother with a 20 MOA base on a hunting rifle or anything that I don't intend on having a scope with exposed turrets.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
How does base cant effect visual clarity?

0 moa, if you are going to zero at 100 and rarely, if ever, shoot beyond 300.
Shooting beyond that? 20 moa will give you more elevation adjustment at longer ranges.
That's it.
Don't over think it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
It moves the zero away from the center of the glass.  On cheaper or older scopes the edges don't have as good of clarity as the center.  On good, modern scopes it's a non issue.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It moves the zero away from the center of the glass.  On cheaper or older scopes the edges don't have as good of clarity as the center.  On good, modern quality scopes it's a non issue.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It moves the zero away from the center of the glass.  On cheaper or older scopes the edges don't have as good of clarity as the center.  On good, modern quality scopes it's a non issue.  
Bingo!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:52:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
haven't made it to 1,000 yet but that is the plan. I'm shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Presently, I shoot 6.5 Creedmoor out to 900 yards.
I shoot a Ruger Precision Rifle that has a  built in 20 MOA rail, my scope is a Vortex 6-24x50 HST.
I really appreciate the 20 moa rail!
If you are planning on routinely shooting those long ranges you will want the 20 moa rail, but at the same time I can easily dial down to a 100 yard zero if I want.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:08:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
I hate to give credence to this post but I think I may know what he is possibly talking about.

I have two bolt guns that I run 40 moa bases on, each with a scope that has 32 mils of elevation or over 100 moa.

I can zero both at 100 and dial them out to 2200 without holdovers.

Both scopes are in the 4.5 to 30 range, one Bushnell XRS and one Athlon Cronus.

With my bases if I dial back to 4X I can see a light blur in the bottom of the field of view from my suppressor.

If I increase the magnification to between 6-7X it goes away and stays gone with any higher mag power.

That's my attempt at trying to figure out wtf he is talking about.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:37:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Well that was 10 pounds of fail in a 5 pound bag.

I recall a thread about 20 MOA bases on scopes at 1x or lower magnification settings (3x or less) making it difficult to get a clear image through the scope especially at closer ranges.

I don't remember if it was just the offset making both eyes open shooting difficult or the angle making it hard to get a non-shadowed round sight picture at low magnification.

Holy shot you guys are hard to please!  He was asking about negatives of a 20 MOA base.  I did a piss poor job of explaining something I read about a potential negative.  Isn't that the idea?  
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:13:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Cold Shot makes an adjustable base that goes to 300 MOA. Go big or go home!

To answer your question. If you only going to a 1000, you can get there (with your 6.5cm) with most modern scopes on a zero base. Why limit your self? Get a 20moa base and be done with it. I sometimes shoot my 260 out to 1620 and without a 20moa base I would run out of reticle way before getting out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top