Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2006 5:15:58 AM EDT
Okay so, after a power outage the other day, my computer wouldn't boot into windows.

Ran the recovery console, used chkdsk /r, now it boots back up fine.

However it is running extremely slow, and my hard drive is now reporting 15 gigs free.

The other day I had 80 or so gigs free.

Now I have a 180 Gig HDD,

I have added up all the folders by size and all together they are around 95 gigs.

So where is my hard drive space gone?

I'm stumped.

I've CCleaned, I've defragged, I've run scan disk.

Any ideas at all?

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:17:55 AM EDT
[#1]
bad blocks most likely.  

Your HD is about to shit the bed within he next few days.  Backup all your important data asap.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:18:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
bad blocks most likely.  

Your HD is about to shit the bed within he next few days.  Backup all your important data asap.

So whats the good news?

Thats kind of what I was thinking.

Could it be because of a marginal power supply Voltage wise?

It was working great recently.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:22:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
bad blocks most likely.  

So whats the good news?

Thats kind of what I was thinking.

Could it be because of a marginal power supply Voltage wise?

It was working great recently.

the reason could be a number of things. Could be too much heat in the case, fluctuating voltage, low amperage, improper shutdowns...etc
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:33:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I find a UPS is a good investment.

I'd start with a new hard drive; but I would be wondering what else was getting ready to crap out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:36:23 AM EDT
[#5]
if dell  hit ctrl-alt-D during bios boot stage to run disk diags
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:45:26 AM EDT
[#6]
The file system could be corrupted. (What happens sometimes when Windoze doesn't get to shut down properly...)

You need to back up your data ASAP and then try a full format and re-install.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Back up whatever you can.

Download the hard drive diagnostics from the manufacture and use them.

The hard drive may be terminally ill.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like HD is almost done, luckily, they're relatively cheap. I would just buy another one, install XP, then slave the first one to transfer the files over.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Well screw that hard-drive, I was gonna get another one anyways,
I don't NEED it anyways, it can just do what it wants to.

Thanks ya'll, I was kind of wondering about that, but thought that chkdsk would let me know.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Definitely back up your shyte.  

Check with the hard drive manufacturer and see if there is a hard drive diagnostic you can run, and then test the drive.

Run your virus scanner, go to your system tools and run the disk cleanup, run defragmenter (fragmented files can take a lot of space up that they shouldn't).
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Check with the hard drive manufacturer and see if there is a hard drive diagnostic you can run, and then test the drive.

Run your virus scanner, go to your system tools and run the disk cleanup, run defragmenter (fragmented files can take a lot of space up that they shouldn't).

Done that already, nada. I will make backups tonite, soo looks like i'm in the market for a hardrive.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Done that already, nada. I will make backups tonite, soo looks like i'm in the market for a hardrive.

I had a similar problem with a customers drive recently it did turn out to be a bad drive.

The hard drive manufactures diagnostic tool today will usually tell you if the drive is failing. If they results tell you the drive is failing check the warrantee and manufacture date on the drive you might still be in warrantee.

If the results are negative on failure (though that does not necessarily mean the drive is not failing) do a low level format and a surface scan for bad sectors.

You might be able to save the drive but the best scenario is for it to still be under warrantee.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top