Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2001 6:47:10 AM EDT
I have heard of becoming a leagal bounty hunter and being able to carry or a private investigator.  Do any of you know about this stuff?  Me buying a handgun seems almost pointless unless I can carry it 80% of the time.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:50:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Even if you become a bounty hunter or PI, in some more restrictive states you can still only carry if you're working.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:56:34 AM EDT
[#2]
If you believe strongly enough about it, there's always civil disobedience.  (No whinin' if you get caught though!)

Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:59:35 AM EDT
[#3]
It just pisses me off that someone in Texas can be a law abiding citizen and then they step into Kansas with a gun under their jacket and they are a fellon.  WTF??
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:08:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It just pisses me off that someone in Texas can be a law abiding citizen and then they step into Kansas with a gun under their jacket and they are a fellon.  WTF??
View Quote

...Move to Texas or heed [b]a3kid[/b] advise.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#5]

In Illinois, its the six seconds to safety.
c-rock
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

In Illinois, its the six seconds to safety.
c-rock
View Quote

What does that mean?
AIRBORNE
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Some jurisdictions still try to prosecute, in spite of the law, but I am not aware of any being successful.
View Quote

They have tactfully avoided bringing the question to court.  But, at least two prosecutors have abused their power to harrass the hell out of people.  

I believe there is one case pending in central or southern Illinois.  They are going to put a nice (law-abiding) lady through the ringer.  She's already spent at least one night in jail and had her gun confiscated.

The law is clear, so I can't wait for the court to uphold the law and tell these overzealous prosecuters where to go...
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh, by the way, the law says that in order to be in compliance you must satisfy three requirements:

1) The gun must be unloaded.  For semi-autos, this is easily remedied.

2) The gun must be in an "enclosed case".  No details are given in the law as to the type of case that must be used.  Technically, it could be a cardboard box.

3)The person posessing the weapon must have a valid Illinois Firearm Owner Identificaiton card (better known as FOID).

There you have it...defacto carry.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Believe this falls under the purview of the one law passed by Klinton that I agreed with: "[B]DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL[/B]"

Mike
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I live in Illinois, and may try this out, but I have a few questions.

1. Does the act of loading the weapon while driving or being in a public area constitute a crime?

2. Are there any possible pitfalls to this method arising from actually using the gun, or taking it into certain places?

3. Doesn't the gun have to be either disassembled and/or transported in a LOCKED case?

4. Doesn't the law require the gun to be transported out of reach of the driver?

6. Is the loophole real of merely the opinion of John Birch?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top