Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 6:29:01 PM EDT
With .gov resources and energies tied up in Katrina, do you guys think Al Qaeda might sieze the moment?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I've thought the same thing.  The hurricane response has shown the U.S. has weaknesses.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#2]
It's possible.

My tin foil is on tight.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've thought the same thing.  The hurricane response has shown the U.S. has weaknesses.

... strength is gained by understanding and adjusting for your weaknesses
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to achieve a similar effect elsewhere in our nation.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I've thought this since Katrina 1st hit.

Nothing would surprise me right now.

HH
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#6]
If they could do anything, they'd have done it last week.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Or an anniversary attack which has numerous rumors surrounding it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It may have exposed some weakness but I think we are showing pretty good signs of getting back in the fight within roughly one week, not perfect but not shabby.

Al-Quada doesn't have the power or resources to do what Katrina did, anything they would come up with would like a fart in the wind at this point. In fact about the only thing that could rival this would be a major nuke strike...very,very unlikely.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't wait till those al-Qaeda bastards try something! Everyone is looking for them so they can kill 'em. America is angy right now and all we need is another terrorist attack and we're going to go off and invade Iran.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:35:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I won't use the "D" word but there have been two threads about this already.

The going consensus is, that AQ plans years in advance and they fastidiously adhere to that plan. They celebrated the damage that Katrina caused, but won't move their dates up.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:53:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The going consensus is, that AQ plans years in advance and they fastidiously adhere to that plan. They celebrated the damage that Katrina caused, but won't move their dates up.

Put yourself in Al Queda's shoes (or sandals):

1)  The 9/11 attacks were spectacularly successful, beyond even their wildest expectations.  The value of the video of the jet crashing into the WTC and then the buildings collapsing is priceless.

2)  If the next attack is less devasting and less image-rich than the one on 9/11, then the public perception will be that AQ isn't gaining strength.  In effect, AQ is a victim of their own success and their power is diminished if they cannot top 9/11.

3)  The attack that makes 9/11 look like a warm-up will take many years of planning and an even bigger cell or network of cells, not to mention way more money.  The more money, terrorists, and time involved means a fuck-up is inevitable.  Someone eventually makes a mistake.

If you're AQ and thinking smart, you realize these things and plan accordingly.  It may be better to do nothing here than to defeat your own cause.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#12]
When and if AQ hits us, they have most likely  a planned date, time and operation in mind.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
With .gov resources and energies tied up in Katrina, do you guys think Al Qaeda might sieze the moment?

Tend to agree, but they should have done something by now.  The moment is slipping away.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Put yourself in Al Queda's shoes (or sandals):

1)  The 9/11 attacks were spectacularly successful, beyond even their wildest expectations.  The value of the video of the jet crashing into the WTC and then the buildings collapsing is priceless.

2)  If the next attack is less devasting and less image-rich than the one on 9/11, then the public perception will be that AQ isn't gaining strength.  In effect, AQ is a victim of their own success and their power is diminished if they cannot top 9/11.

3)  The attack that makes 9/11 look like a warm-up will take many years of planning and an even bigger cell or network of cells, not to mention way more money.  The more money, terrorists, and time involved means a fuck-up is inevitable.  Someone eventually makes a mistake.

If you're AQ and thinking smart, you realize these things and plan accordingly.  It may be better to do nothing here than to defeat your own cause.  

Exactly.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, but I think the dangeris in small town USA hits...mayhem that will affect anyone. severeal hits timeed together, then they dont' need agradiose attack
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Keep your powder dry and your pecker hard.Think positive vibes before you sqeeze one off and never let them see you sweating...............   .    '' THOUGHT FOR THE DAY''
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top