Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2015 12:03:01 PM EDT
I'm 60 and grew up in the white bread mid-west.  Don't remember ever hearing this term until I watched Deadwood...and then again in another Netflix series I quit after 4 episodes.

Its usage didn't ever appear to me to be derogatory and in fact, to my ear, sounds rather exotic.  

What say the hive?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Also, Dude, Celestial is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Japanese and Korean women can certainly be heavenly. I don't know if I'd describe the Chinese I know as being celestial.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]
" />
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:18:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Celestial.... like aliens?

Never heard that one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#5]
It's obviously obscure enough at this point anyone looking to get offended on purpose, wouldn't know what it means.

On the same track, I've been using the term occidental a lot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Never heard that one.
View Quote
1800's slang.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Fairly common in Westerns but I don't know anything about its use.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#9]
It's an old term not used anymore,  It was used when China was ruled by an emperor that was said to be then son of heaven.  

From wiki:
Celestial was a term referring to Chinese emigrants to the United States, Canada, and Australia during the 19th century.[1] The term was widely used in the popular mass media of the day.[2][3] The term is from Celestial Empire (Tianxia, Chinese: ??; pinyin: Tiancháo) a traditional name for China.[4]

Quoted:
....... Asian-American, please.
View Quote

When are minorities going to drop this hyphen crap?  How many generations do you need to be here before your just an American?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Id assume it has to do with China being "The Heavenly Kingdom" etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never heard that one.

Id assume it has to do with China being "The Heavenly Kingdom" etc.

I see the middle kingdom,
Between Heaven and Earth
Like the Chinese call,
The country of their birth...
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
1800's slang.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never heard that one.
1800's slang.  

No, celestial is in reference to the Heavens.  It comes from the reference to the Celestial Empire of which the Chinese considered themselves to be its sons/daughters..
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's an old term not used anymore,  It was used when China was ruled by an emperor that was said to be then son of heaven.  

From wiki:
Celestial was a term referring to Chinese emigrants to the United States, Canada, and Australia during the 19th century.[1] The term was widely used in the popular mass media of the day.[2][3] The term is from Celestial Empire (Tianxia, Chinese: ??; pinyin: Tiancháo) a traditional name for China.[4]

When are minorities going to drop this hyphen crap?  How many generations do you need to be here before your just an American?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From wiki:

Quoted:

Never.

They like their special statis.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

If you immigrated to the US from ....wherever , then I'd say it's appropriate , but to use it like so many do these days , it just reeks of "GIMME MUH DUE AND PROPER ! Y'ALL OWE ME FOR , REASONS !! "

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#15]
He had a shirt ruined in the Silver City laundry. He took the celestial woman's daughter as payment.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#16]
most chinese back then were not immigrating to the US, they were coming here as migrant workers and sending their fortunes home to their families.
during the gold rush their plan was to make a fortune and take it home to live like a king.

They were equivalent to our mexican migrant workers. Unlike the irish/welsh during that period that came here to become citizens as they were essentially starved out of their own homes.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#17]
That term went out of style after the Transcontinental Railroad was completed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
He had a shirt ruined in the Silver City laundry. He took the celestial woman's daughter as payment.

View Quote

Yep that's where I heard it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top