Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/11/2004 5:10:42 PM EST
A debate was had last night between myself and my friends about the lenght of daylight in a southern state such as florida vs. Michigan.

I would suggest that since the equator sees 12 hrs. of sunlight per day from what I have been told, that the closer you are to the equator, the more daylight you will have.

I am not sure that it would be much between FL and MI, but I would think that it would be at least a couple of minutes?

Am I right?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:12:54 PM EST
Yes.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:14:36 PM EST

Originally Posted By Pangea:
Yes.

Wrong. Depends on time of year. Alaska has 24 hrs sunshine in the summer.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:15:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2004 5:17:00 PM EST by SRM]
Hmmm, How does the "land of the midnight sun" fit into your equation? Northern latitudes have longer days during the summer. Editted to add, Damn, beat me to it.

SRM
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:18:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2004 5:18:30 PM EST by SWIRE]
According to weather.com for tomorrow:

Sunrise in Miami is 7:18
Sunrise in Detroit is 7:43

Sunset in both locations is 6:55pm

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:19:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2004 5:19:57 PM EST by jerry48430]
Go to CNN.com, enter 48501(main zip for Flint, Mi) into the weather box. When you open the forcast it will give you the sunrise and sunset times. Change the zip for somewhere in Fla.

eta beat me to it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:19:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By captainpooby:

Originally Posted By Pangea:
Yes.

Wrong. Depends on time of year. Alaska has 24 hrs sunshine in the summer.

only a day or so's worth. It is light most of the day during the summer, though.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:22:12 PM EST
KillingMachine,

For most of the year Florida will recieve the most hours of daylight.

However during the summer months Michigan will have more due to the position of the Earths tilt relative to the sun.

So, you were both right, or wrong depending upon how you want to look at it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:22:30 PM EST
Ok, I'll try again. No?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:34:14 PM EST
DAMN that 23-degree tilt of the Earth! It makes everything so....complicated!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:38:52 PM EST
So whatcha gonna do with those extra minutes of daylight?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:50:04 PM EST
That is Why Florida is called the "Sunshine State".

I hope you like the snow and the cold, and never figure out how nice it is down here.

we have the sun, beach, girls, fishing. about the only thing you might have on us is the deer hunting. You can keep that, and I can buy a out of state hunting permit.

Badredfish
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:01:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By badredfish:
That is Why Florida is called the "Sunshine State".

I hope you like the snow and the cold, and never figure out how nice it is down here.

we have the sun, beach, girls, fishing. about the only thing you might have on us is the deer hunting. You can keep that, and I can buy a out of state hunting permit.

Badredfish

...and the hurricaines.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:26:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By NeoCon007:
KillingMachine,

However during the summer months Michigan will have more due to the position of the Earths tilt relative to the sun.

Wrong. Over the course of a year the amount of daylight will be exactly equal everywhere on Earth.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:48:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By Rabid_Coyote:

Originally Posted By NeoCon007:
KillingMachine,

Wrong. Over the course of a year the amount of daylight will be exactly equal everywhere on Earth.

+1!

The average length of day is always 12 hours regardless of your location. Some areas have more even length days, and some locations have more direct sun more often, but the sunup time averages 12 hours everywhere.

Were there any other limitations on this question, such as "during the winter"?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:29:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By killingmachine123:
A debate was had last night between myself and my friends about the lenght of daylight in a southern state such as florida vs. Michigan.

I would suggest that since the equator sees 12 hrs. of sunlight per day from what I have been told, that the closer you are to the equator, the more daylight you will have.

I am not sure that it would be much between FL and MI, but I would think that it would be at least a couple of minutes?

Am I right?

No
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:43:52 PM EST
IIRC, the sun doesn't shine in Michigan.

Ever.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:44:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By Spade:
IIRC, the sun doesn't shine in Michigan.

Ever.

Hey, it does to....sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:45:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By Petruchio:

Originally Posted By killingmachine123:

Am I right?

No

Yes, he is.

Even in winter, it's not dark in Miami at 4PM. In NYC it's pitch-black.
Top Top