Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2001 2:00:05 PM EDT
It was an explanantion than MAK = Modified AK - and 90 being the year it was designated.  Being after the 1989 ban.  So are any MAK 90's preban?
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#1]
1GUN, i think we've heard the same story. M=modified AK 90 and preban would mean 89.  I see people/dealers at the local shows with folding stocks, muzzle breaks etc. and they claim they're preban but i'm not believing it.  I picked up an MAK 90 for a friend and it had the knockouts for a folding stock but it came with a thumbhole stock.  I guess you could make a folder out of it but i'd be worried about free room and board with bubba, soap on a rope, and his soap packer.
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 2:24:32 PM EDT
[#2]
they're all postban.it's not uncommon to find one that started life as a preban aks and was caught in customs when the ban went into effect.these then had mak90 marked on them , the bayo lugs removed , muzzelnut welded over the threads and the thumbhole stock put on.i see these being passed off as prebans at the gunshows all the time.if it says mak90 on it,it's postban.mmk
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#3]
There are also Yugo's floating around in the same configuration "short" describes.

Except the Yugo comes with both stocks attached!!!!  

One would think that ATF would find the presence of both stocks attached sans pistol grip peculiar?  Oh well, their loss our gain.

Thumbhole was a nice blonde injection molded plastic POS that was probably made on the freighter while in transit to their US importer.

Link Posted: 3/15/2001 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#4]
MMK:

Please explain your opinion to me.

BTW, here's mine:
I live in California.
I bought several MAK 90s in 1990, 1991, 1992; all came with thumbholes.  The California Ban of 1989 bans firearms by name only.
IF, I repeat, IF I had placed an underfolder on any one of these rifles as soon as I had purchased them, what law would I have broken?

Now let's say that I put an underfolder on a MAK 90 in May, 1994. What law would I have broken?

I'm not trying to bust your cajones, mmk.

Paul
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#5]
realoaf you're not bust'in my cajones, the wife has that under control.the '89 ban is the one that effects ak's,when that ban went into effect we could no longer have the evil folding stocks(under and side)bayo lugs,pistol grip and threaded muzzels.so we ended up with the MAK90 with the the thumbhole stock(which is now concidered by the batf as a pistol grip)now we also need to factor in the us parts count which is how we now have pistol grips and high caps in the sar line of rifles.as for putting a folder on a mak90 i believe that would fall under manufactoring of an AW.sorry i didn't quote the exact laws here but i'm my 6th beer and all these stupid fricking laws give me a headache.mmk
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't forget detachable magazine
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#7]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1388179&a=10359200&p=34982950&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

This is a Yugo, Mitchell Arms import.

It was originally marked "Model AK-47" but the AK47 was marked out in blue and M-90 was scratched in.  The bayo lug has been ground off and that is a muzzle break on the barrel. (not welded)

Now picture this from the "Gun Show" thread.

"This is preban 1 [i]and[/i] preban 2!"

I walked out of there with a sore ass but I had the rifle too.  The wood is oak and the overall rifle is the nicest AK I've ever seen.

I saw the same thing for sale on Guns America for $2400.

[heavy]
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I really miss my MAK-90. The Romanian AK's were not nearly as nice. Maybe W. will let the Chinese import them again.
[uzi]
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I've heard these rifle called "Transistion" guns.  Fitting, becuase they are the ones imported in between the '90 and '94 bans.

IIRC these guns will have some of the postban features, but not all.  The MAK 90 was affected by the first importation ban of '90 (I think?)  This was an importation ban affecting mainly the imported weapons and which limited the number of "evil features" to one in addition to the detatchable magazine.  So we ended up with the MAK 90 designation, detatchable mags, thumbhole stock, no bayonet lug, and a threaded barrel with a muzzle break.

Then in 94 they clamped down and we ended up with the neutered versions we can buy now.  Basically no threaded muzzles and pistol gips allowed only if there are a certain number of US made parts on board.

I have a MAK 90 "Transistion" pre-ban rifle.  Fun gun, but not as good as I thought it should be.  It has a threaded muzzle, muzzle break (not permanently attatched), thumbhole stock, detatchable magazine, and no baynet lug.  I know this particular rifle to be legal or at least I have an extrememly good defense if challenged otherwise - I bought it from a sherrif's auction.  It had been seized as part of a cache of weapons, some FA illegal and other fine.  They were all shipped off to the BATF by the SO and the illegal configurations were destroyed (or whatever the BATF does with converted AKs and FALs)  After the case was disposed, the BATF returned the guns to the SO for disposal and, wonders!, the SO held the auction after asking the BATF if they could do so and if everything was legal.  Of course all of this was documented and public record so when I picked up the MAK 90 I got my documentation....  The box the MAK 90 came in even had a BATF case number in magic marker on it and evidence tags inside with the old information still in place.
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#10]
You and I must've seen the same posting on Gunsamerica, where some guy, who claims to have traveled all over the world instructing police and millitary, is selling his collection of "...only the highest quality guns", which includes a "Preban MAK-90"

This guy is a f**king bozo.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 1:46:28 AM EDT
[#11]
****NEWSFLASH****

M90 residing on GunsAmerica is now only $2300.00

That's chump change compared to the $2500.00 6601.

Hey McUZI.

I got this message for you from GunsAmerica and that world traveler weapons purchaser.

Good luck if you are able to get even one of my weapons.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 6:34:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Whoa!!

Anybody here wanna send me even $2000.00 and I'll happily send 'em my 90.  Or trade for a mod 6601...

[sex]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top