Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2010 12:26:41 PM EDT
I have several 2 cycle engined yard equipment, using 50:1, 40:1 and 32:1

Can I really use one mix of this 'Pro Mix' safely in all engines?

The label says yes.

It would be nice to only have to deal with one gas can of 2 cycle mix.

Link Posted: 4/3/2010 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, the main thing is to have enough oil for the engine. A small engine may not like 32:1 as much as a larger engine but it will run. It may seem a little sluggish or foul a plug a little more often. At wide open throttle you may not notice the difference. A small engine at idle will load up with 32:1 and be fine with 50:1.

I mix small amounts of premix at 50:1 for various engines. I add oil to increase the mixture to 32:1 if I need to. I saved a large bottle from my Sta-bil fuel preservative to measure out premix oil. It's less messy.

1 gallon =128 ounce

4 ounces of oil in 128 ounces of fuel = 32:1

3 ounces of oil in 128 ounces if fuel = 43:1 Rounded

2.5 ounces of oil in 128 ounces of fuel=51:1 Rounded

As you can see there isn't a whole lot of difference between 32 and 50:1. So just use the Sta-bil bottle to adjust the mixture. by adding oil. I also stabilize all my fuel as soon as I get it. You rarely need more than one gallon at a time.
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.

This mixes at 50:1 and can be used in any 2 cycle, regardless of mix.

I will try it in my cheap weedeater blower first.
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The label says yes.

Sure it is. Question is, how much do you value your 2-cycles? If we are talking about chainsaws and weedwhackers, no big deal. But, if we are talking about a $7500 dirt bike or 1970's vintage kawasaki triple that was just restored..... well, you can put that syrup in your chainsaw if you like but it ain't getting near my bikes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The label says yes.

Sure it is. Question is, how much do you value your 2-cycles? If we are talking about chainsaws and weedwhackers, no big deal. But, if we are talking about a $7500 dirt bike or 1970's vintage kawasaki triple that was just restored..... well, you can put that syrup in your chainsaw if you like but it ain't getting near my bikes.

Apple and Oranges.

Pro-Mix and the others has a ton of additives in it to make it more universal. It's formulated to be versatile. It's not rated for large 2 strokes.

I have a $6500 KTM380 dirt bike and use the proper premix ratio recommended by the manufacturer. I also use the properly rated pre-mix oil. TWCxxx, Read the back of the bottle for the application.

A Kwacker Triple uses injector oil that is the proper viscosity for the pump and the oil lines. Yamaha 2s is a semi-synthetic made for this. I use PJ1 Silverfire smokeless for my GT750 Suzuki.

Snowmobiles use a thinner injector oil so the oil will flow when really cold.

I also have used up my odds and ends premix oil in my weed wacker and post hole digger.

I mixed it at 32:1.

My old IT465 recommended 16:1. Smoked like pig but ran fine.

My 2 cents.

Link Posted: 4/3/2010 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I would not use that stuff in a two-stroke motorcycle or outboard engine, or a good chainsaw, (Husky or Sthil).

I have used that stuff (and other cheap 2-stroke oil) in my 17 year old Ryobi weed wacker and it still runs like a champ.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I ran the 50:1 mix in a leaf vacuum needing 50:1, and Echo pole saw needing 50:1 and a Poulan Pro chainsaw requiring 40:1, all worked fine all afternoon.

Nice not having to worry about multiple mixes anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top