Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 11:33:22 AM EDT
really practical anymore?  I have an oppurtunity to get a new auto ordnance GI model 1911 for 350 dollars, but I have got to thinking.  With the wide availability of body armor now days, is the .45 REALLY all as useful as it used to be?  Not to mention seven round magazines in this world of fifteen to twenty round magazines.  What do yall think?  1911 or something in .357 SIG for my Christmas gift to me?

-Ben
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're worried about body armour, then you need to get an AK pistol.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
really practical anymore?  I have an oppurtunity to get a new auto ordnance GI model 1911 for 350 dollars, but I have got to thinking.  With the wide availability of body armor now days, is the .45 REALLY all as useful as it used to be?  Not to mention seven round magazines in this world of fifteen to twenty round magazines.  What do yall think?  1911 or something in .357 SIG for my Christmas gift to me?

-Ben

Do they make body armor for faces now? I carry a 1911, but it isn't a paraordinance. I don't know about the price. Check gunbroker.com.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Dude, just get some of those armor peircing bullets!  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#4]
You don't have a 1911 already?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#5]
practically speaking no pistol round is going to penetrate body armor, the 1911 is still the fastest most accurate pistol on the market.

I carry mine with a chip mccormick 10rd mag or a wilson 8 round giving me either 11 or 9 rounds.  It is also very slim making it a great CCW gun.

From the testing done and real world events .45+P JHP still beats .357 sig

it is also much easier to shoot and most people can fire faster follow up shots with .45
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you're worried about body armour, then you need to get an AK pistol.

...then get a rifle.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#8]
well, guys who actually kill people for a living seem to like it.

please notice type of pistols being used!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I thought we were issued 9mm sidearms for a reason?

-Ben

ETA: Thanks for all the replies people, I think I will go ahead and get the 1911.  It will mainly be my new CCW anyways, and if nothing else will go well with my M1 and M1 Carbine.

ETA2: Those guys aren't Army, so clearly they are inferior.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Ben

ETA: Thanks for all the replies people, I think I will go ahead and get the 1911.  It will mainly be my new CCW anyways, and if nothing else will go well with my M1 and M1 Carbine.

I think he was talking about swat, SF...  
Dont worry the military has had it with the 9mm and is trying to find a .45 to replace the 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's the pistol foisted on the guys who use them. as soon as the gunfighters had a chance, they opted for souped up 1911's (using the standard .45 acp round).

by guys who kill for a living, i was talking about your high speed types: seals, rangers, meu soc, fast, etc.

good choice, btw, and i think a damn good price!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's the pistol foisted on the guys who use them. as soon as the gunfighters had a chance, they opted for souped up 1911's (using the standard .45 acp round).

by guys who kill for a living, i was talking about your high speed types: seals, rangers, meu soc, fast, etc.

For a PARA Ordnance it's a good price, but for an Auto Ordnance, it's iffy!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you, and thanks for the advice.  I honestly have never even shot a 1911, so maybe I was just indoctrinated into the M9.  Great pic by the way.

-Ben
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#14]

With the wide availability of body armor now days, is the .45 REALLY all as useful as it used to be?

Huh ?

The 1911 is one of the easiest pistols to shoot well.

That said, you pick the right tool for the job. Force, Delta, HRT, etc all use the 1911 as a secondary (back up weapon,) they are not solely relying on it. They use it because it's a big bullet (Military units are limited to ball rounds) and it is easy to shoot... The drawback, you need someone with realitivly advanced trainning to repair one.
If you carry a pistol, you are likely to be attacked by between 1-3 people... If you have trained properly (most people are not) you will be fine with 8-9rds.

If you were working some personal protection job in some violent place where you may be ambushed by a goodly amount of people would a high capacity pistol be a better tool... Perhaps, of course.

How many shootings or gunfights have you read about in the US that involved more than a handful of people ? I'm talking about good guys vs. badguys.

Lot's of people just can't shoot for shit, don't get trainning, so they compensate by buying a high capacity pistol... They fall into the mentality that more is better (in some cases it is.)
I can clean my friends clock in terms of speed and accuracy on drills, everytime... He carries a 229/40 and I carry a 1911. I have the trainning and practice, he just doesn't... and I have to reload in some of those drills.

Buy what works best for you.

Thing I have notice from people who carry hi-caps vs. singles stacks. Single stack guys have the mentality that every shot counts, hi-cap guys with throw 4-5 off and do the "well, I got 10 in." Maybe it's just the sort of people who gravitate toward 1911s. YMMV

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#15]
We've been totally wrong for a hundred years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top