Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2002 11:04:18 AM EDT
What a deal I found on a new British camoflauge NBC suit. Brand new at a surplus store for under $20.00 . Has the protective liner and setup for  gas/chemical masks. I really like the British camo pattern but noticed that it doesn't blend as well inside North America as our own Woodland pattern. The green has a slight neon effect. I've noticed however that most European NATO countries use the British pattern. Is the surrounding environment in the European region that much different (color scheme wise)? Why do so many use our M16 but not our camo?

Tag in the jacket reads: "Suit Protective, NBC No. 1, MKIV D.P.M Smock, CG/8415-99-130-6923, NATO size 7080/9505, Remploy Ltd."
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I prefer the Brit version then the woodland.

But the BEST has got to be CADPAT!
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer plain ol' OD green, since it provides a measure of concealment even when you're moving. It's a lot harder to spot a single color when it's moving, than it is to spot a pattern of everal moving colors.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I prefer the Brit version then the woodland.

But the BEST has got to be CADPAT!
View Quote

What's CADPAT? I didn't buy it for NBC use, I just think it will make a great lightweight jacket for fishing trips into the Boundary Waters of MN. The pants will probably stay in the bag.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#5]
The Brit DPM comes with different color schemes. There is also a Dutch version which has much brighter greens. Could be what your describing? Not sure what this version is, but I find that it blends in better than Woodland in my neck of the woods. I use it for early season bow hunting when green leaves are still around. I had a buddy take a pic of me up in my deer stand, and I look damn near invisible. I'll try and get that pic from him.

[img]http://image1.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=403854[/img]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#6]
At least it's not flectarn...
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#7]
None of them are really all that great.

All of the military camos I've seen (and the vast majority of the premium hunters leaf print camo) turn to solids at distance and do nothing to break up your outline.  The very best camo will have some very light colors (like white, or very light grey) in large blocks to contrast with darks on the pattern and thereby break up the outline.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Get ready to sweat if you want to use the british camo suit, by the way it has been around since 1989 before the gulf war. What is your reason for buying it ? For hunting it is very effective at scent blocking and cheap too. If you want it for camoflage  I would suggest realtree or whatever your pref along that line.........And becouse the M-16 has a history of being an effective combat weaopon.; Ask anyone who has ever been hit by one.........
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#9]
many, many nations use US Woodland. i would say its the most prevalent camo in the world. sure it may have slight differences due to its local production but the pattern is there.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
At least it's not flectarn...
View Quote

Ohmygawd...you may personally thank yourself ETHun is in central Texas floodland as you wrote that.  Flectarn is a passion of his and he WILL tell how much he likes it!!

[:D][:D][:D]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the DPM camo becuase its cheap!

Got DPM pants for $1.00 a pair from Cheaper than dirt. DPM shirts for $4.00, Jackets for $5.00, ditty bags for $5.95.

I like Flectarn too. Pants for $4.95, Shirts for $4.95, Jackets for $7.97 from Sportsmans guide.

Both are adequate patterns, the Flectarn is pretty good for both the desert southwest and the midwest in the fall.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:29:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I prefer plain ol' OD green, since it provides a measure of concealment even when you're moving. It's a lot harder to spot a single color when it's moving, than it is to spot a pattern of everal moving colors.
View Quote
I agree. Plain 'ol Olive Drab is surprisingly effective in a wide variety of environments.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Arock, what is ETH doing in Central Texas, and exactly where is he?
View Quote

ETH took Miz ETH to Central Texas for the weekend.  He mentioned New Braunfels to visit some of his German relatives.

That's right where the flooding is.  Hope they're OK...  Waiting for him to post something.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 12:00:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
None of them are really all that great.

The very best camo will have some very light colors (like white, or very light grey) in large blocks to contrast with darks on the pattern and thereby break up the outline.
View Quote

Yeah, I have some Predator Fall gray stuff that indeed breaks up your silhouette, but unless your a deer, you stick out like a sore thumb in the woods. White is one of the easiest colors to see in nature. Makes good snow camo!

The best thing about surplus camo, is that you can outfit yourself for every Season- for very little money.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 2:47:36 AM EDT
[#16]
How about this then?
[img]http://www.militaryshop.se/bilder/05/mp-sec-tac-m90-spec/m90-mp-sec1.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top